PDA

View Full Version : TouchAnimator. 3D animation on the iPad

bugzilla
11-08-2012, 03:19 PM
I'd like to announce the release of TouchAnimator for the Apple iPad. TouchAnimator is a 3D character animation program that uses the touch interface of the iPad to intuitively pose and animate pre-rigged characters. Here's a promotional video that shows the interface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jd8XZetnmk&feature=share&list=UUitxdAX3PwV5fjLMr1euFwA

I've also included a short tutorial video explaining the features of the software:

http://youtu.be/GYjLqkcUzcA

You can find out more about the software at it's website:

http://www.digital-sorcery.com/Touchanimator.html

Finally, you can purchase TouchAnimator on the Apple App Store here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touchanimator/id572396989?mt=8

Updates are on the way. I originally developed this as an in-house tool. So, I have plans to add more features in the near future.

visualride
11-09-2012, 06:26 PM
This does look like a great start! If nothing else, this software will get kids interested in the rudiments of animation without the complexity.

On a side note, it's irksome that discussions about production focuses are getting many pages of posts in the News section, which should be in discussions, and your new 3d tech on a new device gets no comments.

gauranga108
11-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Just bought it.

Sooo have been waiting for this app and you didn't disappoint. Really well done.

Love the export animation as text, smart.

Controls and UI are quiet nice.

I will definitely recommend this app to people.

Can I give some feed back?

Auto key feature needed
Ability to bring in image sequence or PDF to play in viewport for us guys that like to start in 2d first, or better yet add a drawing feature right in the app, you have the timeline already!

Fix the deformations they are a bit sloppy.

I hope you do really well with this app and continue to improve it.

Great work getting this done.

mustique
11-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Looks very nice.

It's definately the future of animation as touch controls are a more natural way to animate than mouse controls. Do you "have" to select a joint first before moving it?

Congrats on pioneering this, and I hope you will get the funds to improve on your tool. Great work. :beer:

doCHtor
11-10-2012, 08:26 PM
I guess no big chance for Android?

bugzilla
11-11-2012, 03:33 AM
I guess no big chance for Android?

I will produce an Android version if there seems to be enough interest. I want as many people as possible to have access to this software and now Android tablets are finally competitive with the iPad. Problem is it's just me developing this software and simply supporting iPad 2&3 is enough work right now.

bugzilla
11-11-2012, 03:37 AM
Looks very nice.

It's definately the future of animation as touch controls are a more natural way to animate than mouse controls. Do you "have" to select a joint first before moving it?

Congrats on pioneering this, and I hope you will get the funds to improve on your tool. Great work. :beer:

Thanks for your interest. You can in fact simply tap and drag on any object any object to start moving it immediately. The reason I personally tap then drag away from the joint is to not obscure the view while manipulating the object.

I agree with you that the touch interface is much more natural than using a mouse. I wrote this software because I got tired of waiting for someone to come out with this. I hope that my software creates a wave of interest in this type of interaction for animation. Still can't believe Autodesk or one of the "big guys" haven't done this yet.

JoshBowman
11-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Great initiative on getting the ball rolling on 3D animation on the ipad :)

Had a play with it last night and found it a little hard to dive into but that may improve once I use it some more.

I'd say Autodesk will just buy out whatever really popular iPad animation app comes along, or just copy it and add their logo.

rasamaya
11-11-2012, 06:48 PM
interesting, looking forward to a little more procrastinating.

bugzilla
11-22-2012, 03:54 AM
Just to let everyone know. I just posted the 1.2 update which includes improved camera controls. The 1.3 version update is going to include facial animation. Also, an Android version is in the works. I hope to have it out in time for Christmas. Also, looking into the possibility of importing objects from the web and rigging them in program!

gauranga108
11-22-2012, 04:07 AM
Just to let everyone know. I just posted the 1.2 update which includes improved camera controls. The 1.3 version update is going to include facial animation. Also, an Android version is in the works. I hope to have it out in time for Christmas. Also, looking into the possibility of importing objects from the web and rigging them in program!

I'm glad you're adding features, but for me the thing this app really needs are rig fixes ASAP.

I haven't used this app much at all because the rigs are unusable to me. The torso isn't able to bend over it can only bend in the middle.

Any rig fixes in this release?

Also the pose copy and paste breaks the rig for me. May need to look at that.

Thanks
Great work!

doCHtor
11-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Also, an Android version is in the works. I hope to have it out in time for Christmas.
Fantastic!

GerardM
11-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Is it possible to import my own models and export animations as an .fbx file,..
Then this tool will be very usefull for me.

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2012, 09:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.