PDA

View Full Version : Environment - The Scientist's Kitchen

Plays_4_Pants
12-06-2003, 09:30 PM
This is a background for an animation in progress about the real lives of mad scientists. I had only 2 and a half weeks to make this, so I had to cut corners in some places. You (hopefully) can see that the mad scientist implements his work even into his kitchen. Meant to be super stylized and something you can really look at for a while and see lots of things...hopefully, just no flaws I made. :rolleyes:

http://www.angelfire.com/vamp/plays4pants/Kitchen_1_Web_Final.jpg

I'm gonna submit more backgrounds from this animation within the weeks to come as my semester ends. Critique the heck outta this :D and rate it too

Adainiel
12-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Hey ,

I really like the textures you have on the cabinets and the backsplash. They're very sublte and well done. The skunk o's box seems out of place but i'm sure that's due to not having a character present in the scene.

One thing though, the objects on the table appear to be floating and the skunk o's box doesn't seem to have a shadow.

i'm definately interested in seeing more = )

~Ada

Plays_4_Pants
12-06-2003, 10:16 PM
yeah, I noticed those two things too. The lack of shadow I have no idea (darn u mental ray) and I have to figure out, but the "floating" derives from the table cloth. Some objects go from the table cloth down to the table so I made them lean a little, so it looks like they're floating. I'll try other ways of solving that problem. Possibly I should relocate the table cloth to make it vertical. Thanx for the crit.

Antropus
12-06-2003, 10:32 PM
The tablecloth texture are streched in some points. Looks like your alpha channel is very weird (windows). U have over saturated your image with a lot of glow. Your textures are made with a lot of "pure" procedurals and it's look very CG (wood). In some objects, you have used planar maps only and it has slipped (circular window). Well, as U have commented in my post, your texturing quality is very lacking too (are we two boys with bad textures in our works, it is not?). Fix this and you'll have yourself a quality work :p

bye

Plays_4_Pants
12-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Thanx antropus for the critique. The short comings in textures comes from the 2 and a half weeks i had to make this...thus I had to use procedures and didn't have time to uvmap a lot of things. The over pureness is intentional.
I agree where the round window...it's too obviously planar mapped and people with the eye for those things catch it too quick. Maybe if I do a better job on the texturing i'll have a quality work :p

wgreenlee1
12-07-2003, 03:15 AM
besides what everyone else said...the bloom/diffuse glow thing ruins it for me,i like that you posted a big render but i cant see nothing for the dof and bloom effects
seems to bright or not with a equal balence to it...or something

looks good tho

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.