PDA

View Full Version : subpatch and antialiasing

sebek27
12-06-2003, 08:38 PM
when you do your final renders, what do you usually set your subpatch level and antialising to ?

Dreamwave
12-06-2003, 08:48 PM
subpatch level depends on the model and for anti-aliasing 'medium' is enough

kevman3d
12-06-2003, 09:37 PM
For me, it all depends on your final res output as well. If you're rendering small half-D1 images, you can get away with fairly low settings.

In general, I tend to leave default SubD's at 3 unless I can see any major polygon edging in my renders. Usually I'll do a test render at a frame where say the object is pretty close - Then up the subD render level if it looks edgy.

As Dreamwave says, it also depends on the model as well...

AA I tend to leave at low or 'enhanced low' unless I'm doing anything really hires/print work, or with motion blur/DOF effects.

Note that some LW image filters or tools work better/worse with certain types of AA settings, so I take those into consideration as well.

In general, things get 'tested and tailored' to suit a project, and to get best render performance with best output quality. I don't often just 'set and forget'. I'm a little picky like that! :surprised

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.