PDA

View Full Version : Questions about wifi...

earwax69
11-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Hi!

Yes, it's 2012 and I still dont have wireless at home. I was blessed with fiber channel since I came to Japan in 2006 and never needed a slower wifi but now I have to purchase some in-apps on my ipad and cannot do so without wireless even with the ipad plugged via USB. Quite ridiculous if you ask me.

I was wondering if there's some cheap usb transmitter dongle that would do the job... any plug and play solution for wireless? I dont want to start messing with the router settings as it's all in japanese and it's really not user friendly.

thanks!!!

imashination
11-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Any cheap wireless usb dongle will be able to create a wireless hotspot.

earwax69
11-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Ha really? like this one?
http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-AirStation-N150-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B003ZM17RA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352329226&sr=8-2&keywords=wifi+buffalo

I though they were mostly a receiver... thanks for the info!

ThE_JacO
11-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Wi-Fi adapters are just antennas with a minimum of hardware for translating. They, of course, need to be able to receive and transmit asyncronously.

What routers add, on top of more ports and all that, of course, is their own small OS (yes, a wifi router has literally a fully functional linux install in the form of its firmware), power management and all that stuff.

If you have a PC, and it has a Wi-Fi network adapter, all you need for it to become a "hot-spot" is software, and to some extent, the software is already in most OS, and you only need to configure it properly.

If you run windows 7:
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/09/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot/

If you run linux, I assume you already know how to use a search engine and take it from there or you wouldn't be using it ;)

earwax69
11-08-2012, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the answer! I ordered the usb dongle.

the free versino of Connectify look like the easiest way to setup it...

tswalk
11-08-2012, 05:26 AM
i was just wondering if you could somehow share a connection with bluetooth on the ipad to a PC to access the web that way?

just thinking outloud.. i don't have an ipad.

[edit]
though that connectify looks interesting.. nice to learn something new each day.

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2012, 05:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.