PDA

View Full Version : CGChallenge XXVII - TEN - azazel

azazel
11-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I had a lot of trouble coming with something that not only is at least in some way 10-related, but also mine - It was a long process, and in some way, still in progress. I Listed everything I could think of when it comes to ten, and then I listed the visuals I was keen to explore, and basically looked for possible intersections, and then went on a tangent from there. In the end, I chose the theme that is close to my heart - far away worlds - and will try to weave various more or less subtle tens into the image. I even considered using 10x10 grid as a base for composition, but it doesn't work that way.

So far, obviously, ten moons in the sky, ten main living structures... other living things in the scene will by 10-times radially symmetrical, or have 10-segmented bodies.

Anyway, even if I'll stray far away from the 10 theme, it still looks like a fun image to work with.

It's good to be back in the game :). Good luck everyone.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10001988/media.jpg

OZ
11-07-2012, 06:41 AM
GUUUYS! AZAEL IS IN!!! wellcome back in challenge M8!!! I remembervery well your past stuff! Coll to see you here!!!:wavey:

-OZ-

soshkaCG
11-07-2012, 06:51 AM
yeea :) will be interesting. I like the idea of this work :thumbsup:

Good luck azazel

azazel
11-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys :).
I had a chance to do some more work on it in the last few days (I did the first version some days ago, but waited with posting until I had something more ;) ). Needs more population still, but I'm already anxious to get to the texturing and colours stage.
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10002008/media.jpg

KMcNamara
11-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Really awesome start! Looks very interesting.

SebastianDelValle
11-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Hey azazel!
It looks awsome. It's really interesting. I'm going to be waiting for updates.

Staszek
11-07-2012, 04:58 PM
cool idea, the shape is so dynamic and composition perfect!
GL

fellah
11-07-2012, 08:48 PM
wow mate, that's excellent!! what a start.. will be following this from now on.

azazel
11-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Hey Anders! Maybe you'll enter too, just like old times ;) ? Would be fun :).

Little update: some lifeforms - either symmetrical, or just ten-legged. I'd like to do more, as it's fun, but I'm having some trouble placing them in the image - so they don't wreck the composition, are at all visible, and so on.

Those are quick and dirty - but I think they'll do, they won't be that big in the final image.
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10002022/media.jpg

Emptyshell
11-07-2012, 10:46 PM
wow! this is looking amazing!! Your models are awesome, really clean. love your composition too, the organic structures look excellent!!

fellah
11-08-2012, 12:38 AM
looking frickin awesome, again!! just hoping you'll keep some of the simplicity you have going already and not clutter the empty areas to much.

sadly the challenge was announced at the worst possible time for me so i won't be able to join, but i'll keep an eye on it from now!

azazel
11-08-2012, 03:49 AM
Yeah, that's the tricky part - I want to make it a high-res image, so the detail should be there - but the simplicity is important as well.

Well, maybe next time :)

azazel
11-08-2012, 07:56 PM
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10002042/media.jpg

First pass at the textures - some tweaks needed, but I like the direction.

Kris-Rusinek
11-09-2012, 01:56 AM
This is looking great so far! I love the composition. Strong and simple.. and I can feel an echo of number 10 in it... The big, central moon, like number 0, and the first big building on the front, like number 1. Do you have any color reference, or quick sketch of color scheme? Just wondering if this is going to be so cold. Are you planing on breaking this hue, into some more warm colors in the foregrond?

TheJinj
11-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Lovely, looking great so far :)

mic
11-09-2012, 11:30 AM
This is looking soo cool already. :thumbsup:

Sundaynights
11-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Wow, love this! Nothing I could accomplish - it seems... still struggling with simple forms...

Is it all in 3D? Thought the first image is 2D than saw your creatures - they are 3D - zbrush I guess. So the final is a combination of 2D and 3D??

azazel
11-09-2012, 03:57 PM
This is looking great so far! I love the composition. Strong and simple.. and I can feel an echo of number 10 in it... The big, central moon, like number 0, and the first big building on the front, like number 1. Do you have any color reference, or quick sketch of color scheme? Just wondering if this is going to be so cold. Are you planing on breaking this hue, into some more warm colors in the foregrond?

Yes, this is roughly the color scheme I want to keep. I will bring up the reds and oranges a bit, and add some colorful lichen-like growth to various surfaces, so it'll break it up a bit. Hopefully, the the animals will be a bit colorful as well.

Wow, love this! Nothing I could accomplish - it seems... still struggling with simple forms... Is it all in 3D? Thought the first image is 2D than saw your creatures - they are 3D - zbrush I guess. So the final is a combination of 2D and 3D??

This is mostly 3d. Only 2d parts so far are the planets in the background, and the human silhouette. The texture is painted in zbrush, then tweaked in photoshop.
The way I work, I usually do my sketching in 3d very early on. I did some paper sketches for this, will try to post them, but as soon as I saw potential in it - I did some quick models, and set up the layout in 3d. This way I know exactly what needs to be modeled in detail, and what will not be visible at all - saves time.

Another advantage of this workflow - you don't spend much time on the models at this stage. So it's no big deal to change them, throw them out, re-do - you are not committed to anything.

TheJinj & mic - Thanks guys :)

OZ
11-09-2012, 04:15 PM
YOU DID IT! I was sure that you make something special...and infact...here we are...Azael 100%. Splendid design and colours. 6 stars! :applause:

-OZ-

Versiden
11-12-2012, 06:31 AM
looking cool man! I'll be following this one ;p

are you going to add little things in the holes? maybe vines growing, cracks, moss, or small animals just some ideas

Myers
11-13-2012, 08:24 AM
really nice man, I like the atmosphere very much and execution as well. good luck

asfalton
11-13-2012, 09:40 AM
good start,really like the composition, already look's it gonna be something cool:D

azazel
11-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Versiden - yes, some of that is on the to-do list. Especially vines.

Last few days I've been doing some development on background planets... did a bunch of work for the rest of the image too, but mostly technical things - fixing bad UV's, rebaking maps, and sorting out why things weren't working as they should - visually, not much to show, but it will matter in the end.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10002231/media.jpg

azazel
11-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Ugh, finally, some visual progress. Gonna have to keep the detail level in check...

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10002239/media.jpg

azazel
11-16-2012, 10:07 PM
More details - red crystals are another, albeit convoluted, 10 woven into the image - they are built of 10-faced single crystals, and the color red is a color of neon light, and neon is tenth element in the periodic table ;)....

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10002289/media.jpg

CG-Rich
11-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Azazel,

Great work. So much amazing details and nice blend of colors.

-R

suruj2d3d
11-18-2012, 06:53 AM
realy Nice work azazel.............good luck

azazel
11-25-2012, 12:15 AM
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10002659/media.jpg

Did a test rendering at high res, which resulted in a lot of work - not seen here, but little small details, bump definitions, etc. Still, lots of that kind of stuff to be done.

OZ
11-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Smashing Update!!! What a marvelous work! One of the very best piece of art here around!
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

-OZ-

Emptyshell
12-03-2012, 06:12 AM
yep, still loving this piece. I really like the small detail of the falling dirt from the structures, awesome touch!

azazel
12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Slowly working on the details - main stuff is rendered, just adding some passes as needed. Lot of this stuff is barely noticeable on its own, but important altogether. Slight edge glows on the planets, dust/smoke, atmosphere between the plants, spiderwebs, local lighting tweaks, etc.

Most important, though, I found something for the character to do - now the image makes sense ;)

Emptyshell: That dirt is gone now, but will be re-introduced. Previous version didn't look so hot in closeup.

OZ: Thanks :).
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10002836/media.jpg

Versiden
12-04-2012, 05:35 AM
well done man, I love the new pose of the character and gives the piece a whole new meaning, and more heart!

joolz
12-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Wow, that's gorgeous! Great colors and atmosphere. The character is looking good- nice pose, definitely adds meaning to the piece.

fellah
12-04-2012, 08:44 PM
super progress mate. you never disappoint.

the top of the front structure is a bit distracting though, nothing that bothered me in the first version, probably because it wasn't that red and detailed. it shots you up and out of the image. what about a slightly blue gradient on the top of it, leading us back. or less detail/focus, as one would draw it.
i like the closeups more than the final image, and i believe it might be due to what i said above.
btw, have you tried changing the camera angle? might be nice to have it placed slightly lower to make the structures feel even taller and impressive. I'd almost like to see them disappear in fog somewhere up in the sky! kinda what i imagine that beanstalk in "jack and the beanstalk" would do. but these structures might not be tall enough.
and the guy is looking ace in hires, but hard to distinguish in small. maybe clarify the silhouette a bit more.
with all that said it's still already awesome and a candidate for the first place in this challenge if you ask me. and don't feel bothered to do any of what i said, just thought it might give some new ideas.
(we're heading to Queenstown to celebrate christmas btw :-P)

fellah
12-04-2012, 09:22 PM
might get some ass whopping for this! :)
http://www.andersehrenborg.com/TEMP/05dec2012azazel.jpg

this is kinda what i had in mind in my previous post. might even be cool to have a "heart" on them structures, giving a red/orange light source to the otherwise cold landscape. just ideas presented with a shitty overpaint, pick one or none, i don't care as long as you don't hate me :)

azazel
12-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys :)

Anders, crits are more than welcome. I think I get what you are saying, makes sense. Will try to implement most of it - except changing the camera, no time to re-render all. But I can scale the character down a bit, may help with the scale. On the other hand, he'll lose even more clarity in the big picture. Probably will try to fix the silhouette, and then a bit of resizing.

Trying to keep the level of detail high enough for high-res images is a tricky challenge, as getting carried away with detailing and polishing one object sometimes harms the whole image... I had to throw away a lot of fine details after first high-res previews. It's not the amount of detail, but having the detail in right places that seems to be the ticket.

I'd almost like to see them disappear in fog somewhere up in the sky! kinda what i imagine that beanstalk in "jack and the beanstalk" would do. but these structures might not be tall enough.

I was thinking about it, but those things are not THAT big. It is an interesting idea though, maybe a seed of an idea for new image? ;)

Have fun in Queenstown! I'm heading home just before Christmas, some hectic time ahead ;).

Edit:

Ah, this kind of stuff... hmmm, gotta think on it. Probably too big change to do at this stage, but I like the flipping of the character. Maybe I can throw in some lights underneath the structures, and render some additional light-passes... Thanks :)

KMcNamara
12-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Looking really awesome! I love the plant life (if that's what it is)

fellah
12-05-2012, 05:41 AM
no worries! pick whatever you find simple enough, if anything, and don't feel obliged to change stuff. it's already supercool and one of the reasons i'm browsing this challenge lately :)

boco
12-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Love your entry man, this is awesome!

joolz
12-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I gotta say, I really like what Fellah did there with the underside of the structure, showing it off more. I think you could achieve that in modelling without changing the camera.

azazel
12-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Haha, I like most of Fellahs ideas as well, just gotta find a way to do something similar without camera change, and without changing the geo of the main structure. Will post an image why ;) - the biggest problem is, it's a big scene, slow to work with and prone to crashing recently... But I may be able to do some photoshop trickery, add some lights, etc.

azazel
12-06-2012, 09:08 PM
just ideas presented with a shitty overpaint, pick one or none, i don't care as long as you don't hate me

Haha no way gonna hate you for that, that's the point of the challenge, to push each other to do better work, isn't it?

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10002939/media.jpg

That's how the wireframes look... heavy. And all that growth is not dynamic - for stability reasons :(. The trade-of is, it renders predictably - which is not always the case with displacements on lower-rez meshes. Besides, I need the high-rez mesh for growing the vines, not low res cage...

This is all just an excuse to avoid re-modeling ;) - it'd be way too painful, and this is supposed to be fun.

Now here's the revised version - tweaked the colors (got rid of the reds on the main structure, made the warm parts more contrasty, etc. Generally tried to put more focus on the fleshy parts of the structure by using light and colors/saturation, instead of showing it from below - changing the camera breaks the whole scene ;) ). Added some passes of subtle fur, some additional reflections, reintroduced some of that dust/debris/bugs/spores, heightened some background structures (That at least was easy, as they are lower rez versions...) and some other things I now forgot, but which are visible mostly 1:1. For now, the character is untouched. Hopefully I'll have time to tweak the pose/silhouette a bit, but in the end, won't flip him - I kinda like that he looks outside of the image, like there's something even more interesting just out of sight - just to stimulate viewers imagination a bit.

Strangely enough, the crashing is gone - seems the cpu was just overheated ;P

Thanks guys for the comments, much appreciated.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10002940/media.jpg

fellah
12-07-2012, 12:00 AM
waw I wouldn't want to mess with that mesh either!!

looking really nice now! no need to change the camera. my only suggestion would be to make the structure to the far left a bit taller than the one to the right of it, to keep the viewer from falling out of the composition.
agree it's a nice touch to have him looking out of the scene to! looking forward to see this one in full res someday to be able to take in all those lovely details!

azazel
12-11-2012, 09:02 PM
So this is almost there - I'll wait a bit, maybe I can think of something to add. But even if I don't, I'm happy with the way it turned out.
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10003046/media.jpg

JWRodegher
12-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Would it be ok if I make a paint over with some small suggestions?
It's looking awesome.

azazel
12-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Sure! I can't promise I'll implement it, but go ahead :).

JWRodegher
12-12-2012, 01:06 AM
I though that another "layer" of vegetation closer to the camera would help give more perspective and even drag in the observer into this nature. I see this beatiful landscape and I almost wish I was more inmersed into it. It also feels like we see no beggining or end this way, instead of having it presented in a more "general view" style.

Either way it's looking great, I think it's the best I've seen so far in the challenge! Cheers!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--2eR1exdiTo/UMfmDzU8y9I/AAAAAAAAAMQ/FQ6mEV-rQoc/s1600/media_po.jpg

azazel
12-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I see what you mean. I've had this comment from other sources as well. The way you did it, it messes the count of things - ten of those big structures, ten 'mushroom' plants. I'l see if I can get this result with some other objects. Thanks for the feedback.

JWRodegher
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Oh I see, I didn't realize there was 10 of each.
I love the atmosphere you generated in the image, and the guy taking a picture was a really clever addition to add a sense of scale (and it also adds to the marvel of the whole place).
Definitely my favorite piece so far.

azazel
12-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Added some foreground elements. Not sure yet if I like them.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/ten/1294/10003245/media.jpg

fellah
12-24-2012, 07:50 AM
better without, imo. it "closes the image".
maybe if the FG elements ran into the image rather than flat. but i doubt it.
anyhow merry christmas! :)

Nakonieczny
12-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Very nice mood. I like colors too.

RKurczewski
12-31-2012, 02:56 AM
It kicks some major... . As always, as always.

On fourth look- I think there are just too many planet shapes. I understand you are not really aiming for physical accuracy (and I am totally fine with it) but they seem to clutter composition a bit. Just my 3 c.

azazel
01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
But the 10 moons are one of the points of the image ;). They stay. Anyway, thanks everyone for the feedback, comments and crits - much appreciated. The final entry is here:

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/entry/azazel/final_image/10003635

Not much changed from previous version - just decided to go with 'open' composition. Good luck to everyone.

adib
01-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Congratulations you did an masterpiece! So nice and when you look close you discover more and more detail on the story.

Bravo!

All the best!

redCigarette
01-04-2013, 04:06 AM
Congrats for finishing. The result looks great. :thumbsup:

joolz
01-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Gorgeous piece- I prefer the 'open' view, too, good call there. Good luck!

PavelSokov
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
In the end, this worked out great. Some of the best use of 3D I have seen in a 2D image. It is blended with the painted elements (the camera man) perfectly. Bravo.

azazel
01-08-2013, 05:03 PM
In the end, this worked out great. Some of the best use of 3D I have seen in a 2D image. It is blended with the painted elements (the camera man) perfectly. Bravo.

But.. but... the camera man is 3d as well, actually everything here is 3d. Only 2d stuff here is smoke/atmosphere.

yakonusuke
01-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Great job , azazel! A winner for sure!

Versiden
01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
u know what would be cool... random dust or pollen flying in the air to finish it off, just to bring up some color

boom!

PavelSokov
01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
But.. but... the camera man is 3d as well, actually everything here is 3d. Only 2d stuff here is smoke/atmosphere.

oh oops, my apologies. I didn't realize. You painted the first version of the man a long time ago, and he changed for a camera man all of a sudden, but I assumed you re-painted him.

MikeHepburn
01-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Hi,

This is just a general message to everybody in the forums to remember to upload their deliverables to the Challenge engine (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten). Only 2 days to go!

Please ignore this message if you already have. :)

Good luck, Mike

DFrymus
02-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Congratulation!! You are great!!

adib
02-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Congruatulations!Well done!

Versiden
02-11-2013, 09:04 AM
congrats azazel! well done!

fellah
02-11-2013, 07:06 PM
oh yeah!!! another one for your collection :) congratulations!

azazel
02-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys :)

JWRodegher
02-12-2013, 04:49 PM
I knew a while ago this one would get an award.
Congrats pal!

yakonusuke
02-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Congrats to you too, azazel! Like I said, a winner! :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2013, 07:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.