PDA

View Full Version : School lookout

khcarballo
11-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Hey all.

I'm currently a high school student, and I'm getting pretty close to graduation. I kept my mind open and learned about a lot of career paths throughout high school before deciding I wanted to specialize in 3D art a good while back. If I had to pick my favorite area of 3D art, it would be environment modelling. I'm really fascinated, for example, by Blizzard's cinematics. Their work really inspires me.

Right now, I'm looking for some colleges/universities that offer undergraduate degrees in 3D/Digital Art. I've read a lot about Full Sail, and I love the fact it's a school made just for art. Not only that, but it's practically no-fluff since the Computer Animation degree is accelerated and doesn't have all the impractical classes so many of the other universities do. I can't help but notice, though, how so many of the students there don't end up in the field. If I were to go to FS and bust my butt to get the degree, would it be worth all that money? Would companies of the field really want to hire someone from there?

Besides Full Sail, I'm considering UCF. I do know the school has a 3D Program, I'm just not exactly sure what it's called. Apart from these two schools, however, I'd really appreciate more suggestions. I'm trying to be extremely cautious about what school I do decide on because it's a lot of things to consider. If you have any advice at all to give me, feel free.

Thanks. :)
K

taxguy
11-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Before I can make recommendations, I need a few question answered:

1. What state are you from?
2. How is your family finances? Can your parents pay the full tuition or will the tuition require loans?
3. What is your artistic background? Do you have a strong portfolio? What are your grades and SAT or ACT scores?

khcarballo
11-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Before I can make recommendations, I need a few question answered:

1. What state are you from?
2. How is your family finances? Can your parents pay the full tuition or will the tuition require loans?
3. What is your artistic background? Do you have a strong portfolio? What are your grades and SAT or ACT scores?

I'm from FL.

My parents definitely can't afford to pay tuition, so I'm going to take a few classes at my community college this summer that my high school lets me take advantage of for free. I'm also planning on applying to as many scholarships as possible.

I'd say I'm pretty good at drawing, but I know I have a lot to learn. I'm working on something on zBrush as well that's looking pretty good, but again I still have to learn the ropes of the program. Here's a few things I've completed/am working on:
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/khcarballo/8C20F9F9-BFE0-49BB-B53D-5BC63BA77EB8-1835-00000252A7FD9E19.jpg
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/khcarballo/0454DFA3-CBF2-4115-821F-23B502646F81-1835-00000252B219198A.jpg
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/khcarballo/D1C107E9-1CBA-456F-90DF-203940EBE065-1835-00000252B99E66A7.jpg
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/khcarballo/34E49B66-D902-49C2-AD7F-F223895CEF1C-1835-00000252C11706E7.jpg
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/khcarballo/D44E8648-58C4-4691-A2CC-FF12BCD9741B-1835-00000252C7A8C997.jpg

I haven't necessarily created a portfolio yet. In general, I've been trying to improve artistically bit by bit on my own time. I have no scores for the SAT; I'll be taking it some time next year.

taxguy
11-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your response:First, I would work on your portfolio. I am glad that you are taking courses at the local community college in basic drawing. If you had the money, I would have recommend private lessons. Your portfolio needs a lot more.

My choices of schools would be UCF in Florida in their Interactive entertainment academy and especially Florida State in their college of Motion Picture Arts.. Both have reputably very decent program.

Of course you have Ringling in Florida, which is one of the highest ranked 3d undergrad schools in the country. However, they don't give scholarships to any great extent and your portfolio needs work.

technokill
11-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for your response:First, I would work on your portfolio. I am glad that you are taking courses at the local community college in basic drawing. If you had the money, I would have recommend private lessons. Your portfolio needs a lot more.

My choices of schools would be UCF in Florida in their Interactive entertainment academy and especially Florida State in their college of Motion Picture Arts.. Both have reputably very decent program.

Of course you have Ringling in Florida, which is one of the highest ranked 3d undergrad schools in the country. However, they don't give scholarships to any great extent and your portfolio needs work.

Guys, would you know a place I could find a list of decent universities and colleges in US/CA on the CG area?

Good to hear there are these in Florida but maybe another states or Canada?

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2012, 05:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.