PDA

View Full Version : Animation: GREATEST DEMO EVER!!

batbrain
12-06-2003, 04:59 PM
You are about to view the Greatest Demo Ever! I bet the anticipation is killing you. Well, maybe it's not the best ever, but check it out and let me know what you think. After viewing a few others myself I thought it was really cool that people were posting their reels and so many others were taking the time to download them and give some suggestions back. This one's a little over 5 megs in the DivX format. Some parts came out really clear with the compression but others are a little blurred. Anyhow, let me know what YOU think.

GREATEST DEMO EVER!! (http://www.bat-brain.com/BrianWeberDemo.avi)

teknotek83
12-06-2003, 05:17 PM
you've got some slick animation going on there. textures are really rich, almost has an unreal tournament feel to it.. i liked the little sword fight you put in. the hyenas look pretty damn creepy. great job!

[TOY]Snoop
12-06-2003, 05:40 PM
I like it 2 :)
Some very nice model designs and most of the animation was well made. Thanks for sharing it.

Greets

Thekkur
12-06-2003, 06:27 PM
Very nice visuals of the DnD monsters!

darnel25
12-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Really impressive work. It looks very professional.

cgg
12-06-2003, 11:52 PM
you got some great stuff :buttrock: in your demo but there are some things that i think you should "fix"

1. you should let some 1 that knows editing to edit this
2. add some sound
3. show some wire of your models + the models without texture.

if you do those things and do it right you got your self one kickass demo

:beer:

kingston
12-06-2003, 11:54 PM
Well first off the topic "GREATEST DEMO EVER" isnít very professional.

It is a good demo, but a lot is lacking to make it the GREATEST DEMO ever. Where is the sound? Some of the animation is really good but some of it needs work, like the archer, she was very stiff. Also I wouldnít have opened it up with that non textured character. Where are his eyes?

Anyways it is a solid demo real but I have a hard time calling it great.

batbrain
12-07-2003, 12:11 AM
dude, I was joking..... but at least I got you to watch it.

kingston
12-07-2003, 06:19 AM
"Don't dilute the forums with irrelevant and unnecessary fluff. CGTalk is a professional, moderated forum. It's a place to talk about all things related to computer graphics. It's NOT a free speech forum."

Now I am not trying to be a jerk but this isnít really a forum to really be joking around on. I mean there is a place for it but maybe not on the thread topics.

Like I said I am not trying to be a jerk but if you want more exposure maybe you should name the thread something to more appropriately label the work in it.

Gremlin
12-07-2003, 06:45 AM
A place without atleast some joking around and fun would be my personal hell. :hmm:

anywho, I thought the reel was pretty balanced. I agree there was something fishy about the archer animation, and at the end, the setup is weird, those weird creatures only show textures in the light... which you obviously did on purpose, but I think i'd look a lot better if it werent like that, cause it just looks basically untextured cause the monstesr arent in the for very long. :D

Cheers,
:beer:

DiNKArt
12-07-2003, 07:33 AM
You really should place your name and contact information at the end. Having a demo real is pointless if you don't let the people who you are. I am also wondering what should I be focusing on. Is it showing off your animation skills or yor modeling skills? If it showing both of them maybe divide what you want the viewer to look at it different sections. For example a modeling section the animtion section follwed by a textuing section.

batbrain
12-07-2003, 03:29 PM
I guess I should clarify some things. First, this is an animation reel so I chose not to put any models wireframes or whatever else on it even though a few of the characters I did model. Second, I chose not to add music because I think, in many cases, it detracts from what the reel should be about. Third, I appreciate all of your feedback, especially because I know it takes a while to download movies (I have a 56kmodem). I should definitely put contact info at the end. I think I completely "spaced" on that one. Fourth, and finally, I apologize if I offended anyone by titling this thread Greatest Demo Ever. I did not mean to imply literally that I think mine is the greatest ever. That would just be silly now wouldn't it? I will conduct myself in an appropriate, conformist fashion from now on (that was sarcasm... oops another joke).

mactabilis
12-08-2003, 02:05 AM
Ohh, nice animations. I especially liked the last "concept" scene. It was creepy. Awesome work.
Which of these were your models by the way?

as for the topic title... CGTalk seems to be pretty picky about topic titles... It's good to have accurate descriptive ones..
but seriously, I think it should be okay to have a sense of humor.

He stated it's an animation demo in the title, that's all you need to know. It's obvious that it won't be the GREATEST EVER, especially after you read the text.

dagooos
12-08-2003, 03:10 AM
You've gone and done real good boy im proud of ya :)
If its an animation reel you dont need fancy textures and music but you do need good solid animation and some lights ;)

batbrain
12-08-2003, 08:59 PM
I modeled the first character (the cartoon boy), most of the armour on the Fighter in the sword scenes, and the howler dogs at the end of the reel.
Another thing I thought of that is missing is perhaps some animation with dialogue. Not sure how important you all feel that is to an animation reel, but I think it might be something to add.

XLNT-3d
12-08-2003, 09:52 PM
Looks Good. I disagree about the sound. If done correctly, it can add weight to your work. I was actually distracted by no sound. I thought my speakers were not working. I have shown various demos to differ clients and the demos with sound actually hold their attention and have a memorable impact. When you see them tapping their feet and see by their body language they are getting into it, that's a good sign.

My favorite fluff is marshmellows. It is correct, It's NOT a free speech forum. It cost $0.99 per min. You can use PayPal.:rolleyes:

Captain
12-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Your Work is great, and in that respect the demo reel was great. To give the reel (not the work, cause all that seems great) a little more flow, work on the transitions between clips more. Sound can do wonders to amplify the experience too. Great work once again.

-Captain

marc001
12-08-2003, 10:50 PM
The backgrounds need separation from the models, since they're difficult to see.
Either use a lighter background instead of black for contrast, or backlight the models. That way the edges of the models will show.

pur9e
12-09-2003, 03:30 AM
I think it stops playing about 3 seconds into the first character's walk for some reason I cannot determine, but which is probably my problem.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.