PDA

View Full Version : ***ICC profiles***

name
12-06-2003, 02:02 PM
I have a question about ICC profiles. In Photoshop my color setting is set to Adobe RGB 1998. I also assigned that same profile to my monitor and printer...now what I see in PS is what I see on my monitor outside PS colorwise...which is good I guess...I haven't tested the printer yet though...anyway...I have no idea if that's what I'm supposed to do or what...I see all these color calibrating devices that cost of hundreds of dollars...I don't get it.Why can't you just assign the same profile to PS, your monitor, and your printer?Maybe I'm just retarded or something.Anyone know about that?

dg
12-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Your monitor, printer, scanner should have their own ICC profiles, and then you set you Adobe Gamma Loader to have a aproximation of what you will get in the output. Pantone has applications to do that, that creates profiles for your entire system (printer, monitor, scanner).

Check this (http://www.pantone.com/products/products.asp?idSubArea=0&idArea=2&idProduct=356&idArticleType_Products=0) out

See ya!

halo
12-06-2003, 06:07 PM
adobe 1998 is an rgb working space independant of a device.

profiles are used for specific devices, to translate to and from working spaces.

so you have a monitor profile which is generated when you calibrate, you use this as a coloursync profile. Then you choose which device independant RGB space to work from (you have chosen adobe 1998), then you choose a target CYMK profile that matches your output device.

Dont use monitor RGB as your working space.

allenatl
12-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Expensive color calibrating devices break everything down into concrete numbers. For printers and designers who have to match company logo colors on a daily basis, having exact color "measurements" helps them in producing that same color consistently. Someone armed with lots of experience in color-matching, printing, and Photoshop's color settings can get the same results. It'll just take longer and they won't have the numbers to back it up with.

name
12-07-2003, 06:25 PM
so basically if i set the same color profile to my monitor that i use in PS there is no need to calibrate my monitor or am I wrong?I've done this and what I see outside of PS looks exactly like what I see inside PS.I set my monitor to Adobe RGB1998 which is what I use in PS...is that ok or?ALso....what profile would you recommend for my printer...it's an HP deskjet 5550 in case that makes any difference...it's not a super nice printer or anything but I want the output to look as close as possible to what i see in PS.

halo
12-07-2003, 11:54 PM
no...dont use monitorRGB or your monitor profile as your colour space, only use it in coloursync as the monitor profile. Think of it as the basis for the profiles to work from. Thats why you need a cailbrated monitor for profiles to work.

If you wish to match your printer, check out the manufacturers site and see if they have a canned profile. If they dont, play with the various cymk profiles to find one that matches your outputs.

But only bother with all this if you have a calibrated monitor. Dont pick a profile and calibrate around that.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.