PDA

View Full Version : Are the AMD A-Series good for Rendering?

xALFAx
10-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Planning to get a F2A85-V PRO Motherboard, it will come with an APU A6 5400K, and already have an AMD 5770 1GB GPU.

Q1: What APU should I get to upgrade, at least best for rendering? Or should I look for AM3 CPU's?
Q2: Is possible to combine the GPU of the APU and the 5770 GPU for best performance?

I will use the APU for 3D Rendering, Video Rendering and Gaming.

lehmi
11-06-2012, 08:00 AM
what kind of rendering are you talking about?

A GPU renderer? Or a CPU only renderer?

Afaik the APUs made by AMD are great if you want a really low cost CPU plus GPU solution. For example building a very low cost gaming rig (not for enthusiasts though). AMDs combination of CPU and grahics card is getting you the most speed for the buck here.

But if it comes to actual rendering power the CPU and GPU are actually even a bit slower than middle class solutions.

If you want to know more about the APUs (trinity platform), there's about 5 articles right here on thg. And a lot of benchmarks. Enough info to figure out how well these chips perform:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/CPU,1/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4170-core-i3-3220-benchmarks,3314-5.html

If you can use both the APUs GPUs and another Graphics card for rendering simultaneously. That I don't know. :)

hope i could help.

AJ1
11-06-2012, 08:14 AM
According to the internet, you can crossfire your APU with your 5770.

Then again, the internet has been wrong before. I would google your APU number, your graphics card name, and the word crossfire.

-AJ

olson
11-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Or should I look for AM3 CPU's?

The FX series (socket AM3) is much better suited for rendering given the additional cores. The FX-8350 processor is a great processor for the money when it comes to rendering.

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2012, 06:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.