PDA

View Full Version : PySide for Maya 2011 -x64 - Windows 7

EverZen
10-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of a link for a version of PySide for Maya 2011-x64 on Windows?

I am pretty new to both Python and PySide (PyQt), but as I am working with Nuke and Maya, the lure of having a since scripting language and UI setup is just too strong. I really want to try and get it to work......

So here it what I have tried:

Firstly there is an amazing site for setting up PyQt by Nathan Horne:

http://nathanhorne.com/?p=451

This has complete setup examples, and lovely links to all the versions of Python and PyQt that you need to get things going. I have worked through this example and everything is working wonderfully.

However, for licensing reasons, and because Nuke 6.3v8 seems to have embedded PySide into it, I would really love to get PySide working on the current version of Maya that we use.

As far as I understand it, to have a neat setup, I need a 64bit version of Python, so when testing and installing packages for Maya 2011-x64 everything is on the same wavelength. No problems we can grab this from here:

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.4/python-2.6.4.amd64.msi

Now, to match Maya we need a PySide install that matches both python 2.6.4 (version in Maya 2011x64). However we need this compiled for x64. This is the first problem because PySide do not seem to supply 64bit compiled versions for windows:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_Binaries_Windows

Boo!

However, the version they are also offering is too new! Since as far as I can understand it, this version is PySide-1.1.2, which is compiled against a version newer than Qt4.7.3 - which is the version that is used in Maya. So looking into it the versions that are compiled against Qt4.7.3 are: PySide 1.0.3, and apparently there is a version for PySide 1.0.6 too. These discoveries mainly came from this thread in relation to Maya 2012:

http://tech-artists.org/forum/showthread.php?2198-PySide-and-Maya2012

It is these versions PySide 1.0.3/PySide 1.0.6 -x64 that I cannot find anywhere :( And I have no experience at all at compiling my own versions from source code....

People have said that it is possible to steal the versions compiled in Nuke 6.3v8. As we have a license for Nuke I tried this, but I am not skilled enough to get everything in the right place....

So my question is:

Does anyone out there know a place where I can find an installer for a version of PySide that will work with Maya 2011-x64. From my research I imagine that this would be a x64 installer for:

PySide 1.0.3
PySide 1.0.6 (against Qt4.7.3)

If anyone could help then I would be eternally grateful. If not, if anyone has any tips on where I could go from there, then they would be great to know.

Thanks everyone :)

CaptainSam
10-31-2012, 09:21 PM
PySide 1.0.3 has several limitations compared to the latest release of PySide and the version of Qt that is used in Maya. I have some fairly advanced Qt guis that work fine in Maya PyQt and with the latest PySide, but not at all with PySide 1.0.3

Rather than spending a lot of time dealing with PySide 1.0.3 limitations, and getting it to work inside Maya in the first place, why dont you just pay the poor guy that develops PyQt the 350 a commercial license costs, if GPL is an issue.

EverZen
10-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Hi Sam,

Thanks for this reply! I am inexperienced in all this, and this is exactly the sort of information that I am looking for. My main reason for pushing PySide was actually to maintain the consistency with what the Foundry have instigated in their development of Nuke. I am not opposed to paying 350 to someone who has clearly earned it, but from my current knowledge I am not in a position to understand the subtleties of the differences between these two options.

If by going with PyQt, I sidestep a number of problems down the line, then that may well be the way forward. I am just keen to start initial development in the most efficient way as possible, and keeping consistency with Nuke seemed a good idea with my limited experience.

However, if your Qt guis are working fine with Maya PyQt and with the latest PySide versions, then it suggests that there will not be dramatic development differences if I push PyQt in Maya and PySide in Nuke. Is that fair to say?

If I can approach GUI development for Maya and Nuke in pretty much the same way through both Pyside (Nuke) and PyQt (Maya), then I will probably pay the bill and roll with that.

Any opinions, on the logic behind that?

Thanks for your help Sam :)

DEVILSAN
01-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Hello I am on the same situation as you(EverZen) were at the time u posted, except I am on Ubuntu.. so does any one have any idea where can i get PySide for maya 2012x64 for Ubuntu?

tonytouch
01-03-2013, 08:51 PM
you can download the trial on Nuke ! and pick it from there .

from version 6.3 v5 on , they included a precompiled pySide , which - seems to use the same Qt-version as Maya , and the same pythonVersion . ( i am not sure , if Nuke 7 uses the same python and qt-versions as e.g. 6.3 v8 , maybe you should try to find an older nuke-trial-version , and not the latest 7-version )

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-1018632.html

i did not try this on linux but it worked on windows7 64bit - with maya2012 (with some restiction) - the pySide was working ( but i did not make a lot of tests with it , yet ) . the "annotation" ( "setToolTip" in Qt ) of my buttons , however , never showed up , when i moved my mouse over a button - but all the other examples i tried , were working .

the setToolTip-on buttons , might be workin on Linux . but i could not test this yet .

for windows , i copied
1. the "pySide"-folder ( from nuke folder / plugins ) into my "maya2012/python/lib/site-packages"-folder , and
2. the "shiboken-python.dll" from the Nuke-directory, into my Maya2012/bin.
3. ( maybe ) you also need to copy the "pyside-python2.6.dll" , from your pyside-folder - since this is described in the Linux-Tip-Link , i posted above .... but for me , this also does not give me the "annotations" ( "setToolTip" in Qt )

------------ but maybe someone has an idea .

as well as for maya2012 , i think , this might also work in maya2011 , since it uses the same python version ( 2.6.4 ) and the same qtVersion ( 4.7.1 ) , as far as i know .

from PySide import QtCore, QtGui

class FormExample(QtGui.QWidget):
def __init__(self):
super(FormExample, self).__init__()
self.initUI()

def initUI(self):
QtGui.QToolTip.setFont(QtGui.QFont('SansSerif', 10))
self.setToolTip('This is my <b>QWidget</b> widget tooltip')

btn = QtGui.QPushButton('My Button', self)
btn.setToolTip('This is my <b>QPushButton</b>')
btn.resize(btn.sizeHint())
btn.move(50, 50)

btn2 = QtGui.QPushButton('My Button', self)
btn2.setToolTip('This is my <b>QPushButton</b>')
btn2.resize(btn.sizeHint())
btn2.move(50, 80)

self.setGeometry(300, 300, 250, 150)
self.setWindowTitle('My Form Example')
self.show()

ex = FormExample()

you can try this example then

Chrisgibbs
02-01-2013, 06:40 PM
The version of QT you use for Maya is dependent on the Maya version and should be downloaded from their site as it is modified specifically for Maya.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=14561324&siteID=123112

The versions of Shiboken and PySide are dependent on the Qt version.

I have the same PySide dilemma as you. The PySide version you are looking for used BOOST libraries instead of Shiboken if I'm not mistaken. But BOOST was too large so it was replaced by Shiboken. That only complicates things. I decided to upgrade to Maya 2012 because the matching versions of Qt, Shiboken, PySide are easier to ascertain. Maya 2013 even more so. Have you solved the problem? If so can you post it?

Chrisgibbs
02-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Also, I'm glad to hear Nuke uses PySide. I didn't know that. My whole purpose for learning Qt is its cross platform capabilities. Knowing that Nuke uses PySide only simplifies the road ahead. One less thing...

Chrisgibbs
02-21-2013, 08:12 PM
PySide 1.0.3 has several limitations compared to the latest release of PySide and the version of Qt that is used in Maya. I have some fairly advanced Qt guis that work fine in Maya PyQt and with the latest PySide, but not at all with PySide 1.0.3

Rather than spending a lot of time dealing with PySide 1.0.3 limitations, and getting it to work inside Maya in the first place, why dont you just pay the poor guy that develops PyQt the 350 a commercial license costs, if GPL is an issue.
I may just do that Sam. At least until Autodesk starts shipping with precompiled PySide with Maya.

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2013, 08:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.