PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to study abroad. Which steps to take?

technokill
10-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Hello everyone!

I have a couple of doubts regarding that terrifying time when one should chose his path before walking into the real world industry and I was hoping you guys could clear some thoughts outs with me.

As most who visit this forum, I really want to work in the CG industry, probably with modeling or concept art.

Also, one of my biggest dreams is working with it places in Canada, US, Europe or Australia.

I'm aware that portfolio is almost everything in this field and I'm in the way of building my own. However, I feel that I need the experience and the environment of a college, university or school to help me through it.

That being said, which steps should I take to, first, study abroad to develop my skills and then, later, work in the business?

Thank you!

Rickmeister
10-30-2012, 01:05 AM
First decide if you want to study at all. That is a commitment hard to keep for a lot of people today. You'll need a portfolio and some form of experience. So either study or learn by yourself.

Taking a course in a country where you want to work is a smart way to get to know in the industry and/or future colleages in that country, but it is very expensive. Foreign students don't get subsidized by goverments in general, so it adds up quickly. But if you have the money I would strongly encourage people to do it.

If you don't have the money is will be kind of difficult, but not impossible I believe.

I choose to study in my own country and then took an internship abroad which later changed into a contract.

technokill
10-30-2012, 01:35 AM
First decide if you want to study at all. That is a commitment hard to keep for a lot of people today. You'll need a portfolio and some form of experience. So either study or learn by yourself.

Taking a course in a country where you want to work is a smart way to get to know in the industry and/or future colleages in that country, but it is very expensive. Foreign students don't get subsidized by goverments in general, so it adds up quickly. But if you have the money I would strongly encourage people to do it.

If you don't have the money is will be kind of difficult, but not impossible I believe.

I choose to study in my own country and then took an internship abroad which later changed into a contract.

Well, I think I can study enough to build an OK portfolio, though I probably wont manage to study all by myself to enter in the business. I mean, I'm trying right now to do it alone, with the internet and all that, but I feel that it's not gonna be enough for me to get hired, lets say.

That's why I wanted a place to help me and to force myself into doing it.

So yes, I wanna study, but not 100% all by myself.

Problem is that here in Brazil, this business is still on it's early stages and frankly, the colleges/courses/schools here dont come even close to the ones in NA/EU. If you wanna work here, sure, they will fit your needs, but like in my case, wanting to work abroad too, no way.

Unfortunately, no I dont have the money. I was hoping I could get at least a 50% scholarship somewhere, but maybe Im expecting too much or that depends totally on the country itself?

Anyway, could you give me some notes on how that internship abroad works? Maybe it is a way out for me too!

chien
10-30-2012, 11:45 AM
hm im not sure how to advice you, but I can say this, i studied overseas at 2011, hm wat I can say is it's relly good as i think it was, maybe it's better to study in your own country , save alot of money and time, or study a course online, but 1st decide what you want to learn and research about it.

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2012, 11:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.