PDA

View Full Version : Updating an intuos 3 wacom tablet?

earwax69
10-28-2012, 03:27 AM
I was wondering if I would notice any difference if I were to update my wacom tablet. I use it in mouse mode, not landscape and it do the job nicely. However the pen tip is a bit huge and resolution could be better in mouse mode (landscape mode is very sharp though, but in mouse mode, on a 30inch screen, you can feel the steps.)

I see that the Intuos5 resolution is still 5080 Ipi, just like the Intuos3... kinda disappointing.

Narann
10-29-2012, 06:04 PM
In my personal HO, intuos 3 (I've a Wide (http://chapter-56.blogspot.fr/2005/12/wacom-intuos3-wide.html)) was the best design Wacom ever released. :(

Depending of the format (if your is 4:3 for example) you don't need to change it.

Mine is 16:10 and now every screen is 16:9 it's all good.

I think you should really try pen mode. Tablets are mainly created for a such mode.

You didn't say what was you tablet size (A4? A5?) this is important specially if you have a 30 inch screen.

olson
10-29-2012, 08:27 PM
(landscape mode is very sharp though, but in mouse mode, on a 30inch screen, you can feel the steps.)

I see that the Intuos5 resolution is still 5080 Ipi, just like the Intuos3... kinda disappointing.

The "steps" are probably a bug in the drivers or a setting that can be changed in the preferences. The resolution of the Wacom tablets is far greater than the resolution of any monitor out there, even with the cheap Bamboo models.

earwax69
10-30-2012, 12:24 AM
The steps are not that huge... like 1.2 pixels, while the original is 1 pixels. But you can feel a difference because you use a smaller portion of the wacom to wider a motion. I really really dont like landscape mode because I have to move my arm too much to reach the corners of the screen. I use the wacom for navigation, not for paiting. If I were painting I would use the landscape mode for sure. More precise.

My Wacom is 4:3. No problem really in mouse mode.

I though since 2004 they would have updated the digitizer...

CKPinson
10-31-2012, 06:12 PM
I bought an intuos 5 from BB (bestbuy) and have the 3. I ended up returning it because the touch is overrated and doesn't operate well for it to be the sole reason to upgrade (not worth the price of admission) and also the rotational ability that everyone raves about can be done even with the 3rd gen just use R as long as you use your gpu and it supports newer opengl/cl. (not sure which exactly).

My 3rd I bought literally the day it came out and aside from replacing nibs and buying extras it has stood the test of time! NEVER had any issues with it-

I wait for the day a real rival to the cintiq arrives (hoping samsung S pen makes it to desktop) then i will be going that route!

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2012, 06:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.