PDA

View Full Version : First head with detail out

Niklas Collin
12-05-2003, 07:06 PM
After seeing the wonderful thread about head modelling I decided to try technic called "detail out". Splines seemed like a nice way to go, but one thing at the time... :)

This is done totally for practice and I'm supposed to learn from this, so I'd like to hear some c&c about it. The neck is completely untouched so it isn't really a concern yet. It took me about 10 hours to get into this point, but it was my first try with this technic, so I'm not too unhappy about it. :D

http://www.students.tut.fi/~collinn/testhead_wip.png

ps. I'm aware of the strange artifact below the ear. Will fix it into the next update.

Niklas Collin
12-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Geesh, it takes really long for my posts to show in here because of my newbie-status (mods. want to see my posts before publishing them). Anyway, here is a small update and wire. And now I'm off to bed, it's 1.00 AM here in Finland and I'm feeling a bit tired. :wip:

http://www.students.tut.fi/~collinn/testhead_wip_02.png

SplineGod
12-06-2003, 12:38 AM
I think you did a pretty good job. I would work on improving the general flow around the face(eyes, nose/mouth areas). The shape of the head is a little off around the bridge of the nose/forehead area and the back of the head. The mouth seems a bit narrow and the way the lower lips flows into the corners of the mouth needs a little touch up. The chin area where it meets the lower lip could use a bit of tweaking too. These are just tweaky little suggestions, overall its good :)

Niklas Collin
12-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Larry, I appreciate your comments and I did my best to fix those issues you pointed out. You can mostly see improvement in polygon flow but I also tried to fix some of the anatomical errors. It's still far from perfect (there is a flow problem under the eye) but in overall it looks a lot better than before IMHO. Lots and lots of small tweaks... :)

http://www.students.tut.fi/~collinn/testhead_wip_03.png

SplineGod
12-06-2003, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Niklas Collin
Larry, I appreciate your comments and I did my best to fix those issues you pointed out. You can mostly see improvement in polygon flow but I also tried to fix some of the anatomical errors. It's still far from perfect (there is a flow problem under the eye) but in overall it looks a lot better than before IMHO. Lots and lots of small tweaks... :)

Thats much better. :) I would work on the flow around the eyes and under the lower lip around the chin.
There is a fleshy part of the cheek that flows into the nose. Its bordered on the top by the eye socket and underneath by the crease between the wing of the nostril and corner fo the mouth.
The flow around the eyesockets in general could be tweaked.
Again I agree that its much better definately. :)
I have a nice little video tutorial on my site showing how to tweak the flow on a face. Heres an example of the sort of flow I shoot for. If the flow is really nice its much easier to add in details.
http://www.splinegod.com/examples/gollum_wireframe.jpg

wgreenlee1
12-07-2003, 01:47 AM
first model?i'd say u get a A+,other than a little flow issues like larry said i'd pretty good dang work

Niklas Collin
12-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Hehe, thanks wgreenlee but you misunderstood me. It isn't my first head model, but it is my first try creating one with detail out. I'd say that is my sixth head model or something like that. Last two were created with the help of UserDelta's incredible tutorial and the creations before that aren't even worth mentioning...

And Larry, I'll check that tutorial of yours, definately. I'll post an update when I'll have time to work on that model again. I have tons of work to do and 3d is just a hobby for me... :cry:

Niklas Collin
12-08-2003, 09:31 PM
After going almost nuts in creating those edgeloops I think I finally got 'em (at least in the mouth area). It still needs some working, but I think that I'll first finish the body before going back to the head.

http://www.students.tut.fi/~collinn/testhead_wip_04.png

And like I said, I have also started to model the body. Abs suck big time, hands need some improvement and legs aren't really even started yet.

http://www.students.tut.fi/~collinn/muskelimasa_wip01.png

So far if I have learned something it's that YOU REALLY SHOULD PLAN FORWARD YOUR MODEL BEFORE YOU EVEN OPEN MODELER!!! It would had been so much easier if I would just had remembered that tiny little rule... :hmm:

Anyway, C&C welcome.

BinarySoup
12-09-2003, 01:47 AM
well I think the face is looking good now mesh wise, maybe you should remove the one-point to 6 edges right in the forehead, since I have had rendering artifacts with that type of geometry, but maybe that's just me. as for the mesh of the body, it looks like a good start before actually starting to add detail, what I would do now if I were you is to simply delete a bunch of polygons in the abdominal area and start building the abs in that space and then when they look good you'd attach it to the surrounding mesh. when looking at the model in overall, the only problem I see is in proportions (if you were going for a realistic human that is), and this is where it's good to have some sort of reference in the background, be them splines, a picture, 2 point polygons, anything that allows you to keep a grasp of proportions while zooming in and working on details. when I work without any sort of reference I can sit zoomed at a detailed area thinking I'm spot on, and then when I zoom out it's totally off proportion-wise to the rest of the model.

keep working on this, it has great potential!

Niklas Collin
12-09-2003, 11:56 AM
BinarySoup, thanks for your comments but could you please specify more accurately which areas do you mean? I mean, I just can't see what is wrong with the proportions... :shrug:

If you are meaning the start of the legs/hip area, then I understand. They are just sooooo unfinished that it looks extremely weird. They already look better, believe me. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.