PDA

View Full Version : Studio Shot - Acrylic

alienretro
10-26-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm trying to do a studio shot of a screwdriver but I can't seem to reproduce the transparent colored acrylic. I've been playing with refraction but it is is always opaque. I have 2 softboxes and some planes with a ramp shader around the studio to simulate an environment. I'm using Maya and Vray.

Reference:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9772/photo1lr.jpg

My shot:
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4362/testeet.png

Shader settings:
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2783/settingsv.png

Thanks in advance.

CHRiTTeR
10-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Its weird because the shadows show it as transparent.

*edit: Ah you see you gave the refraction a color. Try keeping that white and adjust the color by using the fog color.

Does that help?

alienretro
10-26-2012, 07:38 PM
I was doing just that you said before try coloring the refraction. I was trying to play with fog color and fog multiplier, but it still never got transparent. My geometry got no thickness, could this be the problem ?

CHRiTTeR
10-26-2012, 08:09 PM
I was doing just that you said before try coloring the refraction. I was trying to play with fog color and fog multiplier, but it still never got transparent. My geometry got no thickness, could this be the problem ?

What you mean by it has no thickness?

As long as it is a closed volume, it should be no problem.

LowJacK
11-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Test on something other then a perfectly white flat surface.

Replace the ground plane with procedural checker or something to test the transparency and refraction.

InfernalDarkness
11-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Not sure how to translate this into Vray materials. In the mia_material_x, you'd use "Color at distance" and/or "Translucency" to achieve this. Do you have any way to simulate color at distance with a Vray material?

vital00
11-07-2012, 04:19 PM
try to put the refraction color to pure white and remove the fog just to test if the refraction is working... maybe could be a bug and replace the material with a new one.

Panupat
11-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Double check your object's attribute if it's visible in refraction.

Seraph135
11-09-2012, 01:33 AM
I think this should be done entirely with the fog color and fog multiplier. The refraction color should be white. You may have to reduce the multiplier to extremely low values to be able to see through the material. I agree with the recommendation to put something other than a white background behind it.

Tim J

Kev3D
11-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Hmmm, I wouldn't do the red colour with the fog setting personally. That's more for getting the green-blue discoloration that's only really visible when looking through a thick bit of glass, looking at the edge of a pane of glass for instance. The material in this instance looks like it would make things behind it look just as red through a thin piece as a thick piece. No, refraction color would be the one to change. Make the fog multiplier 0, it's not needed. Check that the diffuse is set to black, the IOR is reasonable (around 1.5) and that reflections are 100% with fresnel ticked, see how you go.

Edit: Also check that your refraction trace depth is set high enough.

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2012, 02:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.