PDA

View Full Version : Backup spanning solution

CLONEOPS
10-25-2012, 04:48 PM
I would like to backup a set of new 1Tb drives to a large set of smaller drives i have accumulate 250gb to 500gb in size, I will use a usb caddy to cycle through the smaller drives if i can set up backup that can just ask for the next drive when it is full and i would like to do this without compression so i can see what is on the backup.
I tried several popular backup demos but they all seem to compress and not do spanning.

Anyone know of any software that can do this in one go?

olson
10-25-2012, 10:42 PM
There are ways but they are not pretty, like using 7-Zip to make an archive split into smaller files that would fit on each drive or backing up directories to the disks manually based on size. If the budget can accommodate it the best option would be to buy a new disk for backup. A 1 TB disk is pretty cheap these days. Probably cheaper than buying a bunch of removable drive caddy things for all the old disks (bare drives is an option, but risky since they can easily be damaged).

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145304

Also if the backup is easier people tend to do it more frequently. If every time you backup it takes a whole weekend to do you probably won't do it except for once every year or two. If you can backup easily with a single command or single click you'll probably do it every day or every week. Heck, even a 3 TB drive is pretty cheap these days.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

CLONEOPS
10-26-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm already have the main backup on some of those large terabyte drives but since i have 15
other smaller drives sitting i want to use them as a second backup.
Damn i hate compressed backup stuff that most software uses, it slow backups down to a f'ing
crawl.
I think i will check the drives then part them out to family and friends or something,then just get a second set of mega drives.

olson
10-26-2012, 07:09 PM
I think i will check the drives then part them out to family and friends or something,then just get a second set of mega drives.

That is probably the best way to go unless you have a 15 bay enclosure with a huge controller card sitting around.

tswalk
10-27-2012, 06:06 AM
depends on how experimental you want to get...

i'm currently working to implement windows server 2012 core and am learning more about the deduplication and storage spaces available...

it seems that you will be able to attached say a USB portable storage device, enable deduplication on it, and copy files from an already deduplicated volume to it... unplug it, and move to another server 2012 with deduplication services running, and the 2nd server will recognize the data and make it accessible with zero effort.

it looks as though you may be able to enable bit locker prior to unplugging the device so as to have some "transport" security if necessary (i can not confirm that yet though).

i have not tried this process yet, but will be in the coming weeks (once i get other services and deployment things working the way i want). because with 50-60% deduplication on average, transportability, et al., this will make a great solution for transporting off-site backups or shipping data around.

oh, and just another benefit... you can enable "branch caching"... and the dedup'd data will seemless transfer between remote sites from a central location.

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2012, 06:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.