PDA

View Full Version : The strangest bump map issue...

surreal-reality
10-25-2012, 04:22 AM
fg Maybe its just late, and my brain is missing something obvious and crucial, but I've gone through my mental checklist and can not figure this one out.

I've got two meshes, one on the left, and one on the right(the one on the right is correct).

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/ka74g

-Both have the same shader applied, (just a lambert with a single procedural plugged into the bump)
-Both have been imported as obj's
-Both have correctly facing normals (outwards)
-Both are simple triangulated meshes, no history, transforms frozen, etc.
-Both objects are not grouped under anything.
-Both objects have scales set at 1. no negatives
-Both objects are alone, and do not have second shells overlapping or zfighting

However, as the picture shows they look different for some odd reason, and I can not figure out why, or what... It looks like the bump is inverted on the left, but its more than that, with the full shader the bump is strangely muted as well..

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before? Shed any light?
I am truly stumped.

Thanks

nookie
10-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Is the procedural a 3D or a 2D texture?
If it is 2D, what about the UVs? If you map a checker the size is coherent between the two objects?

surreal-reality
10-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Forgot to mention it was 3d procedurals. So uv's shouldn't be an issue....

but I checked anyways and the one that was working right had SOME uv's, while the one on the left had no uv's at all...
I auto mapped the left one, rendered, and low and behold it works just fine...

I would never have thought to check that. It shouldn't have made a difference, but it did, it works, now, and I'll take it.

Thanks for the input!

CHRiTTeR
10-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Forgot to mention it was 3d procedurals. So uv's shouldn't be an issue....

but I checked anyways and the one that was working right had SOME uv's, while the one on the left had no uv's at all...
I auto mapped the left one, rendered, and low and behold it works just fine...

I would never have thought to check that. It shouldn't have made a difference, but it did, it works, now, and I'll take it.

Thanks for the input!

I may be wrong here, but uv's are still an issue if the noise map's coordinates source are set to explicit map channel, but thats probably not the case since object xyz is the default...

Just out of curiosity... does it help if you swith the coordinates source to world xyz?

surreal-reality
10-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Tis a good thought!
I also forgot to mention I'm using maya as well. So no options like that exist for me. That's a max thing I take it?

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2012, 07:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.