PDA

View Full Version : Nexus/Kindle fire/ Ipad as lowcost cintiq alternative?

lehmi
10-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Hi everyone,

I was thinking about purchasing a low price tablet such as the nexus or the kindle fire for some basic sketching a coloring works.

Of course I know that those won't be able to compete with a cintiq on any level. No pressure sensitivity, not so many programs to choose from etc.

But I am just looking for something low priced to get that "paint on a screen" feeling. (I use an intuos tablet for my work)

Do you have any experience with one of the mentioned tablets? Can you recommend one that suits best?

I haven't had a chance to try any of these, I just saw some videos on youtube. And each of those seem to be equally useful for this.

olson
10-24-2012, 05:13 PM
If you just want to doodle low resolution images there are some fun applications for that. If that's your only reason for getting a tablet you'll probably be disappointed with it.

frog
10-25-2012, 12:14 PM
The biggest problem with IOS/Android tablets is the lack of precision, even with a stylus. You can do loose sketches on them but you simply can't do tight drawings with any kind of efficiency because they are far from being pixel perfect in terms of registration accuracy.

I often sketch on my iPad when doing loose idea sketches, but for real drawing I would always use a Tablet PC or a Cintiq because the experience is a million light years ahead, there really is no comparison.

earwax69
10-27-2012, 03:25 AM
The new Microsoft Surface look better in that regard (though I dont see any reviews of the digitizer...). If not there's the Asus Slate and the eee slate that have wacom digitizer.

tswalk
10-27-2012, 06:17 AM
you'll have to wait if you want to use the Surface.. the current version is the RT version on an ARM processor and will only permit apps from windows store. I have not checked, but i highly doubt Adobe or Autodesk has shipped ARM based version of their drawing software.

your best bet would be to wait for the "Pro" Surface tablets, and i'm not sure if any have officially been released to market yet (ASUS may have, been too busy to check). the "pro" is based on Intel platform, and will allow your windows 7 apps to run (like Sketchbook pro).

my concern has been the display resolution... especially on the Windows Surface RT (its' really low for the price points they want for the thing). even their "pro" version is spec'd relatively crappy display compared to Apple's Retina. (i mean wtf microsoft!).. irritating me.

dangerweenie
10-27-2012, 05:15 PM
awhile back i received a prototype of an intel-powered tablet. even using fingers, it had pressure sensitivity. unfortunately i cracked the screen in my backpack and can't find a replacement :( it worked well with artrage.

you can get one online, its called a wetab or slate xd.

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2012, 05:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.