PDA

View Full Version : best windows version for maya

dextervfx
10-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Hello CGTalk,

I`m Alex,and for like two years since I started computer graphics I`m a mac user,now with 2013 and directX and also for mari I want to switch to windows.I tried this some time ago with windows 7 and the result was a big mess,nuke was showing me the nodes upsidedown,maya was missing like 20-30 procedures,after effects was slow,and i was also in the middle of a project so i ended up installing mac again to finish my project.But now i have some more time so i`d like to try switching again and i was wondering what verison of windows would suit the best my workflow which is 3d:in Maya,rendering with Vray,compositing in Nuke or AE and editing in Premiere.

I have this PC configuration(its a PC runing Mac not an actual Mac):
Intel Core I5 760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156
8gigs of Ram
Nvidia 8800Gt(soon i`ll get a GTX650)
1 Terrabyte WDC Green Hard Drive

Thank you!

imashination
10-24-2012, 03:13 PM
windows 7 has been their best OS ever, if youre not happy with that, you wont like any other flavors.

olson
10-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Windows 7 is the best option right now. You might have been having trouble because the applications didn't support Windows 7 at that time. Or it could have been something else like graphics drivers.

dextervfx
10-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Windows 7 is the best option right now. You might have been having trouble because the applications didn't support Windows 7 at that time. Or it could have been something else like graphics drivers.

this was less than 3 months ago and since we speak about missing procedures i think its rather a file management issue

tswalk
10-25-2012, 03:43 AM
if it was working fine on your mac why would you want to switch?...

dextervfx
10-25-2012, 09:18 AM
if it was working fine on your mac why would you want to switch?...
Mainly for Mari,texturing in photoshop feels very unnatural,i tried mudbox but i don't like it for texturing

cgbeige
10-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I know that The Foundry had a Mac build of Mari a while ago that was waiting on a couple things. I know that Apple is set to update OpenGL to 4.1 in the next couple months so it's possible they'll be releasing it soonish. With them joining forces with Luxology, that has a strong Mac presence, I'd be more surprised if they didn't release a Mac version. And I'd be surprised if it stayed at the crazy prices it's going for it's a texture editor that sells for $2000. But you're running a Hackintosh, so this is all a moot point for you.

anyway, to stay on topic I have a gaming rig and I'm keeping that with Windows 7 because 8 is brutal for a desktop. It's maddening.

olson
10-25-2012, 02:58 PM
You could try Mari on Linux. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2012, 02:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.