PDA

View Full Version : Designschools-please help!

rapha87
10-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Hey,
that's my first post in that forum. I'm from Germany where I've been started to study at a design school this year. The school doesn't seem to be a good startingpoint to move into the field of digital concept art or something similar.
Could you tell me which schools in the u.s. are very good yet not too overpriced. I'm asking for schools in the u.s. because I think they are more in step with actual practice and have got more experienced teachers in the fields of concept art for the game- or film industry and entertainment- or industrial design industry, compared to the ones in my country.
My field of interest is mainly in 2D-digital painting. The FZD by Feng Zhu in singapore grabed my interest because it's website is very informativ and more important Feng Zhu is a top entertainment designer and teacher. The program takes one year what is quite short I'd think but seems to be very intensiv. I think Feng joined art center college of design that seems to be a good school for industrial design and looks interesting to me too.
Then I heard of the gnomon school but I think it's more 3D orientated, isn't it? I've already read a list of design schools in the u.s. but it's kinda difficult for me to distinguish between these schools.

What do you think from your first impression could be the right school for me?
-I want to deepen my skills in the basics of design and art/ digital art.
-It should not be just a 3D modelleling school.
-I paint traditional and digital but the digital realm will mainly be the field I'm looking forward to work for, therefor it would be nice if the school would offer a strong education in that field (if they are teaching traditionell art in an excellent way for sure it would be fine too).
-It should have got excellent teachers (maybe in entertainment design) and probably chances to get involved into the industry or have contact to real employers.
-It shouldn't be too expensive compared to similar schools except for that the school is worth the price.
-Probably it would be cool if it's possible to have it as a semester abroad, but it doesn't have to. Just for the case that I won't have to quit my current studies in Germany.
I think all of these aspects fit to the FZD (probably except of the last one) but if you have got some alternatives for me and probably some cheap ones (that is not my priority by the way), that would be very nice.

rapha87
10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Do anyone by the way know how good the cg master workshops are? I'm just thinking of enrolling in one of these courses.

cgs-john
11-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Check the North and South Americas school list in the North and South Americas sub-forum. In general, and you may easily find exceptions, you will probably find that a broader general "design" education on the lower cost scale will come from public schools. Keep in mind that public schools usually have a general education requirement, so do not forget to consider these in planning your time and cost. Also remember to check the cost of living index for the area around the school.

Good Luck.

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2012, 07:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.