PDA

View Full Version : Subdivision trouble

Astralogic
10-23-2012, 05:47 PM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8834359/img/BLENDER00001.JPG

If I subdivide the above polygon I get rectangular polygons. If I add a cut down the middle so I have two square polygons it will no longer subdivide. Basically I'm being forced to use rectangular polygons, since this will be a sheet with the cloth simulator you can see that I need square polys.

I'm following a video tutorial and in the video this problem doesn't exist, he cuts then subdivides without a problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Astralogic

RichardMarklew
10-26-2012, 10:52 PM
How are you cutting ?
Use Ctrl+R and subdivide in half
Select all vertices and W / subdivide, set the number of iterations in the toolshelf or F6.
This works perfectly, if it doesn't work for you you'll need to supply more info or blend file

Mrkat
10-28-2012, 09:09 AM
...Basically I'm being forced to use rectangular polygons, since this will be a sheet with the cloth simulator you can see that I need square polys...The general shape and dimension a QUAD takes is determined by the original object/surface.

In other words, sub-divided surfaces are not inherently equilaterally square by default unless the original surface is square to begin with. So, if you divide the shape you posted down the center you're likely getting slightly rectangular divisions because its length doesn't appear to be twice its height (2:1 ratio, making a split 1:1 x2).

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2012, 09:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.