PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Vray Sun/Sky

Janderson87
10-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi Guys,

So I'm (slowly) teaching myself how to use 3DS Max and Vray. I'm trying to get to grips with the Vray sun/sky feature but I think I'm fundamentally misunderstanding something as the results I'm getting aren't what I expected or am trying to achieve.

I'm trying to create a room lit by daylight only, but I can't get the light to disperse evenly around the room from the windows - instead I get a very bright/overexposed exterior and a dull, gloomy interior. I thought it was maybe a problem with my materials but I created a dummy scene to experiment with and couldn't do any better.

The WIP scene is image2.jpg, whereas the dummy scene is vraysun3.jpg. Maybe I'm just expecting unrealistic results but was wondering if anyone could shed some light (ha!) on the situation.

I'm by no means an expert on lighting or photography so it may be that I've made a silly mistake when setting up my camera. I've also attached the settings I've used for the camera and sun.

Cheers! J

alienretro
10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
For the Vray sun/sky work properly, you must activate gamma. You will see a general increase in brightness.

Search for Linear workflow, although it and gamma aren't the same thing, linear worflow is a current workflow trend and it deals with gamma.

Some people would say you could also simply increase your ISO 'til you get the lighting you want, as you won't get grain as in traditional cameras.

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.