PDA

View Full Version : Best windows version for stabilty?

dextervfx
10-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Hello everybody!!
I`m Alex and I`m a 3D generalist,I work with maya,nuke,after effects and photoshop.What I want to know is what version of windows would be the most stable for working with these software packs(I`m a Mac user since I started working in VFX).

Thank you!!!

bls
10-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Windows7 is super stable OS and I heard that windows 8 will handle memory much better than windows7.

SheepFactory
10-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Windows 8 is really damn good from what I used so far. Faster and more stable than windows 7.

TSchmiesing
10-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Go with Windows 7 Pro.

Never put a newly released version of Windows on your production machine. It will take at least 6 months until companies have fully updated their software for Windows 8 compatibility.

Also, Windows 8 has a different way of working than what Windows 7 does. I fully expect to see many companies reluctant to upgrade. I know I am sticking with 7 after using 8 for 3-4 hours.

Srek
10-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I had no stability problems with Win 7 right from the start. I hope Win 8 turns out the same, but it's to early to be able to tell.

tswalk
10-28-2012, 02:13 AM
i'll be testing the following in the coming weeks and let people know my experiences if they're interested...

Maya2013, Mudbox2013, 3Dmax2012/2013, Sketchbook Pro 2011, and CS3

i just need to get my NAS updated and workstations backed-up first.

Narann
10-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Win7 is extremely stable. I suppose Win8 too.

SheepFactory
10-29-2012, 09:04 PM
I have been using Zbrush, Modo and Maya this week on Win 8 and it is extremely stable and it seems to run a bit faster than it did in win 7 probably because win 8 is more efficient in using ram.

Besides once you create new icons for the start screen it looks so nice :)

http://i.imgur.com/lBcPl.jpg

ThE_JacO
10-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Win7 has been an extremely stable, well regarded release that got patched well over time.
Probably the only MS OS I actually found reliable since win2k (and a brief stretch of XP SP1).

Win8 seems to also have got its s*** together, but it's not as tested, and you have to put up with the love/hate UI. On a personal level, Win8 makes me want to put my fist clean through the monitor, so I'm sticking to 7 for as long as I can.

I would go for win7 for now for peace of mind. It's basically known to work and be reliable on all fronts you asked for. An eventual upgrade to 8 will be quick and cheap down the line if you feel the need to anyway.

sentry66
10-31-2012, 01:49 AM
win 8 appears to be roughly 5% slower in a lot of programs
http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/software/2012/10/26/windows-8-performance-benchmarks/3

Though it boots faster and has a faster disk check utility

olson
10-31-2012, 03:05 AM
I have zero interest in Windows 8 personally. The idea of the "Metro" interface and a merging of desktop and tablet/phone platforms is a complete turn off. The principal of making the desktop interface into an application within "Metro" says a lot about where Windows is headed and who the intended audience is. Hopefully Windows 7 is the last version of Windows I'll ever need to purchase, especially with Steam coming to Linux. The only other thing I use Windows for is Photoshop which I'm doing less and less of these days as the raw photo processing tools in Linux improve every day.

The personal bias aside I'd stick with Windows 7 for a while (probably a year or so) because that's what current computer graphics programs are supported on. For example if you call up Autodesk or Adobe with issues they'll tell you tough luck if you're running Windows 8, at least until they release newer versions tested on Windows 8.

AJ1
10-31-2012, 04:31 AM
Yea, I ditched Windows XP on my home computer about 5 months ago. Installed Fedora and KDE on a SSD.

Gimp isn't as smooth as Photoshop, but it works just fine for cleaning up renders and putting together quick comps.

Maya runs ok, but there are some glitches here and there. It crashes every once in a while, but the good news is that it reboots in about 5 seconds.

The flexibility you have with KDE is nuts. With all the themes and widgets, you can make it look like whatever you want.

Apparently their working on KDE for windows, but the recent screen grabs I saw only show desktop widgets working.

But that being said, I might end up getting a copy of Windows 7. It seems to be the better option over XP.

-AJ

ChukChuk
10-31-2012, 07:54 AM
@Olson
The desktop isn't an application within metro. The best way to think of metro is an expanded start button.

CKPinson
10-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Windows 8 is easy enough once you learn where Admin tools are. Most of the same but just getting used to. For instance right click on Windows Start and there's most the admin stuff.
Create your own pins and what not.
The largest issue I have noticed with Windows 8 (Preview version still cuz I have to back everything up for the transition) is that Internet Explorer is neutered- When I launch BF3, which is web based, it locks up in IE but runs fine in Firefox- also alot of issues with several sites' runtime scripts- AND I AM NOT REFERRING TO THE EVEN MORE NEUTERED METRO IE.

performance wise: Maya, Mud, Mari and Photoshop all run great

Caveat for Photoshop is that the ATI drivers for Win8 don't play well- when GPU advanced settings operational I get an annoying background flicker while stroking it LOL- had to disable and run off CPU which hinders the canvas rotational feature useless. Hope it's updated soon.

All-in-All not a bad experience although overkill for desktop but if i had a touchscreen or had several devices in my house with Windows 8 (which is what M$ is banking on) then it'd be nice to jump onto another device that is setup exactly the same!

PS- Skydrive is the ISH! I've been backing up program installs, photos, music, vids and all have worked perfectly from the cloud.

tswalk
10-31-2012, 10:35 PM
any issues running windows 8 with multiple monitors?

i'm still working on server 2012, and haven't done any tests yet outside of virtualbox with it.

ThE_JacO
11-01-2012, 07:11 AM
I have zero interest in Windows 8 personally. The idea of the "Metro" interface and a merging of desktop and tablet/phone platforms is a complete turn off. The principal of making the desktop interface into an application within "Metro" says a lot about where Windows is headed and who the intended audience is. Hopefully Windows 7 is the last version of Windows I'll ever need to purchase, especially with Steam coming to Linux. The only other thing I use Windows for is Photoshop which I'm doing less and less of these days as the raw photo processing tools in Linux improve every day.

The personal bias aside I'd stick with Windows 7 for a while (probably a year or so) because that's what current computer graphics programs are supported on. For example if you call up Autodesk or Adobe with issues they'll tell you tough luck if you're running Windows 8, at least until they release newer versions tested on Windows 8.
This is very close to my personal feelings, bias, and observations too.
I have no prejudice against MS, and I actually don't mind win7, wish 8 well, but it's not what I want.

I'm cool with that though, the unhealthy days of windows or die are gone; alternatives are now available, and cross platform and even platform agnostic models are not only possible, but also viable.

@ChukChuk: Actually, no, the best way to think of the desktop is as a metro application, because that is what it is.

The desktop is now a camouflaged explorer with a blackboxed title and a hidden or embedded manifest (through means probably accessible to MS only), but it's ultimately an app, and metro is the environment.

It surely isn't an expanded start button, that's how you think of it, but it's not how it works or is presented.

tuna
11-01-2012, 09:02 AM
As far as stability goes, the one crash I did notice was when the Windows activation metro app popped up while I was running Civilization V in windowed mode and it crashed the shit out of it. Watch out for popup Metro apps I guess?

@ChukChuk: Actually, no, the best way to think of the desktop is as a metro application, because that is what it is.

The desktop is now a camouflaged explorer with a blackboxed title and a hidden or embedded manifest (through means probably accessible to MS only), but it's ultimately an app, and metro is the environment.

Aren't both Metro and the "Desktop" both part of explorer.exe? They also seem like absolutely different environments to run absolutely different applications. I don't see how one can host another, and nor can one not exist without the other.

Logically, from a user interface/user point of view it is best to view Desktop/Metro as two of the same things. Metro being designed around a touch interface (and therefore abysmal with a mouse and kb) and with sandboxed "web apps" basically, and Desktop, being a design concept from the 80s. :thumbsup: at least there's some sort of change.

Unless Microsoft invest in getting customers nice hardware to enjoy the touch based ui, then it simply will not work. Apple has great touchpads, magic trackpads/tragic macpads, ipads, whatever you want to call them. Microsoft has new tablets but no common hardware for their pc-based metro UI. You think that'd be important? Apparently not, great job! :hmm:

any issues running windows 8 with multiple monitors?

I've been trying it out for a week, deciding if I should buy this or not, on 2 monitors. When you launch Windows and log in, one window will be Metro, one will be the Desktop. Once you close Metro it acts exactly the same as Windows 7 did, except now you have the option of one start bar per monitor.

CKPinson
11-01-2012, 01:35 PM
my setup is 3 monitors: 2 workspace and one hdmi running to my audio/vid receiver that spits out onto my 50 inch plasma when I wanna watch a movie or game on the big screen with traditional surround and not the virtual surround in my head set.

From the right top edge of your primary monitor once you hover there it evokes a side menu to slide out from which you can select how the additional monitors will behave or whether or not you even want them on- another cool thing is that all monitors have their own bginfo and can all display different wallpapers

When playing vids on VLC (because the internal doesn't support everything) it seems like the playback is smoother than when in Win7 (Less artifacts and horizontal tears).

I don't even bother with the Metro interface to be honest- Consider it a Metro APP/program launch station- not bad but I find it easier to use the actual desktop- once i pinned and created icons for my stuff I had no more use for Metro. The IE in Metro is 64bit and neutered Flash etc- it sucks IMO.

More about multiple screens and audio outputs: More fluid and easy to change but I still find at times I have to go into sound setup in control panel to default output- no biggie- had to do that b4.

learn your shortcuts: Start key+R=run etc. Haven't tried creating the GODMODE icon yet since I barely used it in 7 since it contained WAY TOO MANY admin tools.
Did disable UAC as i did in Win7 because otherwise you get a million popups although less in 8 if you don't.

ATI released another Win8 driver which so far has been playing nice with Maya, mud, mari and photoshop- need to test the flicker issue i had in photoshop to see if it's gone now.

ChukChuk
11-01-2012, 02:12 PM

It surely isn't an expanded start button, that's how you think of it, but it's not how it works or is presented.

The reason why I think of it as an expanded start button is because traditionally the windows key opens up the start menu however when in desktop mode for windows 8 it flick over to metro and vice versa (However it may be that it flicks to the last used application didn't double check that). But also the complete lack of a start button in desktop mode as well as the word start being in the top corner (see sheep factories screen cap and well as many others on the internet) in the metro ui lead to that conclusion.

Also I don't see any benefits from making the desktop mode an app within metro.

tuna
11-02-2012, 05:34 AM
If anyone has a Wacom in Windows 8, let me know if you find a way to remove the "ripple effect" every time you click. [e] There are also click delays in Win8 with Wacoms. Although it seems fine so far in Maya, there are some issues moving windows around and I've heard can break quad menus in Max.

SheepFactory
11-04-2012, 01:56 AM
If anyone has a Wacom in Windows 8, let me know if you find a way to remove the "ripple effect" every time you click. [e] There are also click delays in Win8 with Wacoms. Although it seems fine so far in Maya, there are some issues moving windows around and I've heard can break quad menus in Max.

Use this and run as admin:

http://viziblr.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Viziblr%20Fix%20My%20Pen&referringTitle=Home

tuna
11-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Use this and run as admin:

http://viziblr.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Viziblr%20Fix%20My%20Pen&referringTitle=Home

Thanks but this didn't fix anything for me. Still have the ripple effect and laggy window dragging. Another incompatability so far is that you can't get rid of the lock screen image with the pen click. I guess Wacom will (eventually) update drivers to get Windows 8 support.

olson
11-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Metro being designed around a touch interface (and therefore abysmal with a mouse and kb)...

Yes, that's the problem. I'm not watching YouTube or playing Angry Birds. The obsession with touch is bullshit for anyone doing any kind of technical work which is what most of us here do most of the time. If Microsoft is going to continue down that road I hope they make Windows Workstation with features focused on technical users (kind of like they do with Windows Server and the features that come with it). For example when I want to rename an image sequence or backup files I'm not going to buy a half-ass app for $10 from the store to do it, I'm going to open a terminal where there's flexibility and control.

As for the 1980 reference to the desktop I don't see that as a negative thing. Cars still have steering wheels and pedals, phones and remotes still have number pads (even if they are touchscreens), firearms still have triggers and sights, and all for good reason. They were brilliant ideas and continue to work exceptionally well. The desktop interface falls into that category.

In the big picture beyond the workstation context or even the Windows context I think mainstream computing is moving in the wrong direction by dumbing things down and restricting users. New users are less likely to become a digital renaissance man (or woman) and more likely to become a digital peasant because the entire digital ecosystem has devolved.

paintbox
11-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I miss MS-DOS!

Windows7 is the best at the moment, I see no need nor reason to switch at this point, just because it's new. Microsoft actually got it right when it comes to their core business. I am on the fence for Windows 8, in time Ill check it out.

CKPinson
11-05-2012, 12:13 AM
OK, I reverted back to Windows 7 Pro- I started having an issue where my Memory Performance was wacky- constantly hitting 17 of my 24GB without any processes running that I could tell- course there were many in the task mngr but this became constant even after shutting everything completely down and restarting. finished getting 7 back up and running and am happy again. Windows 8 retail hopefully fixed this bug- I am not willing to pay to play tho.

tswalk
11-05-2012, 10:13 PM
OK, I reverted back to Windows 7 Pro- I started having an issue where my Memory Performance was wacky- constantly hitting 17 of my 24GB without any processes running that I could tell- ....

I'm wondering if you have an ATI (or AMD) video card? I noticed a post about a possible memory leak in consumer preview.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-performance/windows-8-memory-leak/59c9e5dd-f7e4-4a28-87ff-f3e669fc3f30?page=2

perhaps they fixed the drivers in RTM... kinda hard though to just "check that out" i know, perhaps you have a friendly IT pro with MSDN access? :D

CKPinson
11-07-2012, 02:45 PM
its possible but at the same time I had the latest ATI drivers (same as full win 8 release) and still had issues. Funny cuz this issue mostly hit ram when running bf3. But too many other little things which is usually the case so I am happy with win 7 pro. Reinstall of 7 was surprisingly smooth. 30 minutes smooth. On laptop and workstation.

Used sky to save a few install pckgs to deploy from and worked like a charm.

CKPinson
11-07-2012, 02:50 PM
and no access through work. We just completed transition to win7. It was a pain since so many apps were 32bit only. I am on the ops side and deal mostly with hardware, imaging and installs... Networking too.

tswalk
11-08-2012, 06:40 AM
and no access through work. We just completed transition to win7. It was a pain since so many apps were 32bit only. I am on the ops side and deal mostly with hardware, imaging and installs... Networking too.

bummer, but here's hope... (ok, that's how i look at it instead "glutton for punishment")

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

i can relate to what you do.. been sitting here for a week testing autounattend of an EFI headless install of server 2012 core. i screwed around for 4 hours yesterday in powershell trying to configure a lab AD, finally said screw it and installed the GUI (lol).

CKPinson
11-09-2012, 06:59 PM
bummer, but here's hope... (ok, that's how i look at it instead "glutton for punishment")

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/eva...r/jj554510.aspx (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx)

i can relate to what you do.. been sitting here for a week testing autounattend of an EFI headless install of server 2012 core. i screwed around for 4 hours yesterday in powershell trying to configure a lab AD, finally said screw it and installed the GUI (lol).

LMAO- AWESOME! We have to force Medical Staff to use Windows 7! These are people that can't even grasp the password process. (seriously, have to make one for them)

Our entire network was down for a few days, talk about a nice break.

Direct Link was bad BTW

tswalk
11-11-2012, 03:52 AM
...Direct Link was bad BTW

sorry, not sure what the deal is with the link... maybe cause i got MSDN access currently through Bizspark.. dunno. just google for "Download Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation" or on MSDN, it is a 90 day free full license of Window 8 for developers and IT people to test apps and stuff to determine without cost if you programs will work or not.

anyway, i would say if they have troubles with passwords (lol) then maybe "modern ui" is a good thing for them.. haha.

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2012, 03:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.