PDA

View Full Version : Grime or DirtyUp type shading?

Jag Panzer
12-05-2003, 02:55 PM
I notice that 'Grime' no longer seems to be a product at the Dynamic Realites site. Also I can't seem to find 'DirtyUp' at it's old site either.

Does this mean that the functionality of these 'grungy' plugins is easily obtainable within standard LW?

I've been able to get a get an entire object to look old and weathered, but I thought that these products could give the look of dirt in edges and cracks. I haven't been able to pull off that effects.

Thoughts?

Mark

Bytehawk
12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
what I do mostly is bake a radiousity luminousity map with background rad and no lights
I then use that map as an alpha map for the diry

Steve Warner
12-05-2003, 06:20 PM
You can use Grit 2.0, which will dirty up the cracks and crevices of your objects:

http://katastro.fi/~eetu/

There's also Worley's Disgust plugin, which can be useful for a variety of dirty textures.

http://www.worley.com/disgust.html

Hope this helps!

Steve

Jag Panzer
12-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks!!!

Much appreciated.

Mark

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 08:33 PM
As ByteHawk mentioned you can make an all white version of your object and do a radiosity render and bake it. The same map can applied to the diffuse channel as well as the alpha for additional effects. :)

Bytehawk
12-07-2003, 10:48 PM
thanks Larry for clearing up my post.

Boy using qwerty is killing me.

Hope to get back at my usual keyboard in a few days...

rickycox
12-08-2003, 02:28 AM
As ByteHawk mentioned you can make an all white version of your object and do a radiosity render and bake it. The same map can applied to the diffuse channel as well as the alpha for additional effects.

Any tuts on this??

CourtJester
12-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by riki
Any tuts on this??

And while you are at it, how is this done with objects that have n-gons (polys > 4 vertices)?

I'd love to know how I could do it without having to triple the beasts.

Finkster
12-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by riki
Any tuts on this??

There's a mini-tutorial in the manual, showing how to bake an accessibility map. Look up surface baker. In this tutorial, they bake to vertex colour, though better results can be achieved by baking to a UV map.

And while you are at it, how is this done with objects that have n-gons

Surface baker doesn't like n-gons, but i reckon you could make a copy of your UV mapped object, tripple the n-gons and then bake to it's UV. Then just use the resulting image as a map for the original, non-tripled object..... methinks.

kurv
12-08-2003, 09:15 PM
You may want to search for a post a LOOOOONG time ago about a car...

Someone added dirt to it, it was amazing...but I have no idea now who or how they did it.

I do remember it was a white sport car in a dirt track race setting.

Anyone remember that one...? The dirt method was brilliant!

Proton..?

Protean
03-26-2004, 01:57 PM
riki

Any tuts on this??

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/rendering/lw_baker_beethoven/lw_baker_beethoven.html

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.