PDA

View Full Version : Interactive Website For Students

jwhitworth
10-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Hello friends and fellow animators! I wanted to share with you my project that I've been working on for the past couple years. It is a website that offers interactive 3d car engines created using blender, which users can disassemble and find out where parts are located and what they are called.

The primary goal for this site was to create something that automotive students would be able to use free of charge, to better grasp the concepts of how particular engines operate and which parts do what.

The site is called youtorque.com (http://www.youtorque.com)

I would love to hear what you guys think about the project! Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

I created a quick little youtube video as well you can view here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu1ICKqaE_c).

bellsoffreedom
10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Amazing site! I can't imagine the amount of work that went into it. And all in Blender, huh? Awesome.
Great job.

jwhitworth
10-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Amazing site! I can't imagine the amount of work that went into it. And all in Blender, huh? Awesome.
Great job.

Thank you for the kind words my friend! It's been my whole life for the past couple years and to finally have it up and going and get reviews like this makes it all worth while!

The 3d content you find on the site was all created using blender. The interactive engine applications utilize a plugin called Burster which allows for encrypted .blend files to be played in a user's web browser!

From here on instead of just listing what the part is whenever a user hovers over it, I'm going to incorporate part numbers into the new engines! This should allow the site to appeal to a wider audience! Very exciting times ahead :)

jwhitworth
10-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Great job.

Thank you for the support my friend! It has taken quite a bit of effort to take the idea to this level. When I first started it wasn't really like work. I enjoyed learning the blender interface and knowing that everything I learned put me one step closer to the final goal. Not that I don't still enjoy it. It's just hard to beat the excitement of the early stages of development :)

To answer your question, all of the 3D content that you see on the site was created using Blender. The interactive engine applications were created with blender and utilize a plugin called Burster which allows developers to publish their .blend files securely!

plastic
10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
I wish there was a non-plugin solution for the web display (webgl?).
I can't justify installing a browser plugin, it's a can of worms on so many levels.

square-zero-one
10-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Its a great effort and idea, but the cons are the 3d player you have choose, its great to select the parts and have its name displayed , and great to choose how to orbit around, but its a bit difficult, people should use the mouse to navigate.

Otherwise its great project,
congrats on getting it done!

jwhitworth
10-25-2012, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! I know it's kind of a bummer to have to install the plugin but blender/burster allowed me to develop this program much quicker then it would have taken me to do it in anything else and time is very important...especially whenever your the only developer :(

If I had the resources available I would love to develop the applications using webgl, but right now since I'm a one man team it looks like I'll be sticking with the current configuration.

Mouse navigation is something I will be working on for the next release. It does seem to be a little frustrating to navigate using the x,y,z buttons.

The next engine app that comes out will also list the factory part numbers for the part whenever the user hovers over it instead of just the part name!....Exciting times ahead! :)

jwhitworth
11-09-2012, 07:46 PM
I wish there was a non-plugin solution for the web display (webgl?).
I can't justify installing a browser plugin, it's a can of worms on so many levels.

I've had too many users complain about the plugin download lately and I wanted to inform everyone on here that I will be tackling the task of creating an engine with WebGL that I can import my meshes from blender along with the corresponding coordinates.

After researching webgl it is clear to me that this is the only way to go with this site. Thank you for bringing it to my attention! It may take me awhile to implement, but once it's done everything else will be cake...will allow for much better structure and easier implementation of dynamic information into the scene. I envision the ability for users to enter information in one section of the site that corresponds to a particular part of the engine and have that information be loaded when the user hovers over the part in the 3d environment...sort of like an interactive wikipedia of car parts...I'm excited...and it's been awhile since I've been truly excited about something lol

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2012, 07:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.