PDA

View Full Version : Chubby jiggles?

sqitso
12-05-2003, 02:45 PM
Hey guys.. Okay, I am gonna try something. I need suggestions on ways to make a chubby characters fat jiggle. I know I can find tutorials on the subject, but I would like suggestions from someone who has done it, and the reasons why a certain technique is better than another.

I basically have an easy rigged character with chubby cheeks and a beer belly. I just want his fat to jiggle when he moves. However, I don't want to complicate the rig with extra bones or anything else like that.

As always, I love the feedback

Thanks

LittleFenris
12-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Seems to me some belly bone(s) and chuby cheek bones would be the easiest way to do it. Either those, or some endomorphs...but it seems bones would be the most controllable.

Angelo_Blaze
12-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Try using motion designer and set your surface to jello, maybe tweek the settings a bit.

Newtek's got some pretty cool tutorials for Motion designer if you don't know how to use it. I'm a student in highschool who has a digital animation class and my teacher gave me some tutorials from newtek's site to do, they were really helpful!

However, MD may not work as you may think. (As been my expierence.) but give it a shot! I hope I've helped you in some way. ^_^ Goodluck!

:bounce: -A-:bounce:

HowardM
12-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Complicate it with MD, works fine!
:)
there is an example in the middle here-
http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/27478.html?

sqitso
12-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Well I do have 3 extra bones in the character. One for each cheek and one big one for the bellie. The only problem is that I have to keep manually animating the bones. This takes a lot of time. I was hoping there was an easier or more practical way to do it. The graph editor is a big help, but I would still love an automatted process so I can focus more on the primary animation.

Thanks!

LittleFenris
12-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Why not just do the primary animation first, then do the little secondary animations (like the cheeks, belly, clothes, etc...) after you've roghed out the animation?

CourtJester
12-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Use weight maps to paint the jiggly parts, then use that to control inertia. Quick & easy. Only drawback, no "reverberation", i.e. repeated back-and-forth after a single sharp keyframed move. If you need that, I suspect HowardM's right.

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 09:41 PM
There are ways to automate the jiggle in the bones using follower with some delay. Morph targets could also be automated. MD is also another way.

Angelo_Blaze
12-05-2003, 10:14 PM
You said you had extra bones for the cheeks and bones. You don't nesscicarily have to animate them manualy...

In layout, select the bones that control jiggle. hit "m" for the motion modifiers window to open. go to select a modifier. find "occsilator" with that you can control where you want bones to jiggles on any axis! It's pretty neat! try it out!

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Angelo_Blaze
You said you had extra bones for the cheeks and bones. You don't nesscicarily have to animate them manualy...

In layout, select the bones that control jiggle. hit "m" for the motion modifiers window to open. go to select a modifier. find "occsilator" with that you can control where you want bones to jiggles on any axis! It's pretty neat! try it out!

Sort of... :)
You can only set a starting and ending frame. Getting it to repeat the motion when needed would be tricky.

sqitso
12-05-2003, 11:06 PM
Splinegod.. Could you explain automated the morph targets technique? That sounds efficient.

thx

SplineGod
12-06-2003, 01:22 AM
You could to it the same way as you would use for say jiggling bones in the belly or cheeks:
Animate the jiggling the way you want it to look like. User Cycler or Cyclist to tie the animatation to the motion of another controller of some kind. The controller can be part of the rig or an external null. If you use a null to position the characters body that could be used as the controller. You just have to specify which part of its range of movement triggers the jiggling motion.
You could also use ocillator to constantly be jiggling the morphs or rotating the bones. You can use a master channel linked to a slider to turn the jiggling on and off when you want to.

proton
12-06-2003, 02:02 PM
The SIG_02 has a fatty with lotsa jiggle that you can DL and study :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.