PDA

View Full Version : USC 3D Animation Minor

CMTN
10-22-2012, 08:44 AM
So some background first: I'm a junior at USC who has recently become interested in character animation (mostly 3d). However, at this point, switching my major to the famous animation department at the film school isnt really an option.

So USC has come out with a 3D animation minor fairly recently, offering 3D Animation courses through the engineering school. Now this all sounds pretty cool, but the problem is that they're all taught by one professor, Lance Winkel, who from my research, doesnt seem to have too much experience with character animation (not really sure on that though).

So do you guys think that itll be more beneficial to take the minor for the degree and the specialization, or to just take individual animation classes at the film school and have access to the more renowned professors (Tom Sito, Dariush Derakhshani)? Does anyone know anything about Lance Winkel in terms of how capable he is of teaching all of the 3D animation classes in the minor?

Thanks! :D

fig
10-22-2012, 02:49 PM
I can't speak to the quality of any of the instructors, but I wouldn't imagine that animation courses through an engineering department are going to have much if any focus on character animation.

A minor also really isn't much (guessing it's in the 10-12 hour range) for trying to get a grasp on character animation. You're probably better off trying to take a course or two in the animation department there to get your feet wet then maybe looking at online courses after you've graduated.

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2012, 02:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.