PDA

View Full Version : Getting availabe filetypes

Jhavna
12-05-2003, 02:25 PM
I need to somehow retrieve the available filetypes in a user's installed version of Maya.
I know you can "file -q -type" to get the type of the current file, but I need to know all files that the user's version of Maya can save to. I.e. Maya ASCII, Maya Binary, Obj and any plugin types they have...

TIA

alexx
12-05-2003, 03:53 PM
honestly if any better file test commands were added..

but you can still use system commands like

system ("dir /b *.ma *.mb *.obj");

that will give you all you need..

only hopy you dont have a mixed environment :)

cheers
alexx

Jhavna
12-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Great :rolleyes:

// Error: The "system" command is not supported by Maya PLE. //

GARG! Not long now.. not long...

the thing is, from looking at your suggestion, I am not sure if that will do it... It's the files I am after, but the available types that Maya can export to.
For example a query that will give me

"mayaAscii", "mayaBinary", "OBJ", and so on... in a string array would be ideal

The thing is, I wouldn't know what extra filetypes are available in the users installed Maya.

Essentially i need the type to plug into

file -type $type <- where $type can be any of the available types... but I need to be able to get them all..

Sorry if your suggestion does this, but I am unable to test it :cry:

alexx
12-05-2003, 04:21 PM
ohh.. now i see what you mean..

will check for it..

alexx
12-05-2003, 04:23 PM
as i think about it: that could be tricky, since the plugins have to be loaded in maya to be sure it works i guess..

so maya would tell you it can not import IGES files e.g. as long as the plugin is not loaded..

guess that could be tricky as long as no one comes up with the command that might exist for that

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.