PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbirds trailer, now as hires QT!

chips__
12-05-2003, 01:09 PM
http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2004/STUVWXYZ/Thunderbirds/trailer-page.html

thats better than the swf

sdwx
12-05-2003, 01:38 PM
even at hi-res its still cheesier than an explosion in a cheddar factory.

:hmm:

sdwx

robkoni
12-05-2003, 04:59 PM
OK I admit it was a silly comment(very tired and pissed off at the time,not a good time to post:eek: )
So.....I removed the Stupid comment:blush:
Move along...nothing to see

projectcoil
12-05-2003, 08:14 PM
I kinda like the old show. The puppets had an eerie presence making the show neat to watch. They should have recreated all the puppets in cg and with wires and servered heads showing. That would have been neat. I like how when a puppet dies, it would have the same expression as it were alive. The effects were top notch.

"Oh is that a rip in your shirt or is it a bullet hole.?"
"I think it's a coffee stain."

Jonathan Frakes, red alert anyone?

beaker
12-06-2003, 05:55 AM
even at hi-res its still cheesier than an explosion in a cheddar factory.

Close shave.......................
the effects look ropey as hell(sorry Framestore CFC)

Did you guys ever see the original tv show? It is supposed to be cheesy. Thats how the show is. If they made it realistic and serious it would be just another dumb big budget summer movie. This is more along the lines of other cheesy movies/tv shows (that are supposed to be cheesy) like Galaxy Quest, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, etc...

Andrew W
12-06-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by beaker
Did you guys ever see the original tv show? It is supposed to be cheesy. Thats how the show is. If they made it realistic and serious it would be just another dumb big budget summer movie. This is more along the lines of other cheesy movies/tv shows (that are supposed to be cheesy) like Galaxy Quest, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, etc...

I completely agree, it looks like loads of fun to me. We're not talking photorealism here, were talking hyperrealism. Something akin to Spy Kids methinks.

I'm very excited, I reckon that the effects look perfectly in tune with the feel of the movie, and I for one don't always want to see po-faced seriousness, a bit of bright, colourful, plastic-fantastic entertainment will make a very pleasant change next summer. Bring it on!

A

projectcoil
12-06-2003, 06:19 PM
I somehow think this is Jonathan Frakes's method of making a Star Trek without being Star Trek.

t-man152
12-06-2003, 08:12 PM
yeah its definitly suposed to have that cheapy look wich makes it so cool. the old TV show was cool and was running last year on tech TV. I have a fealing that your going to see more and more of those cheapy looking movies and video games because people are tired of seing amazingly real looking things in their games and in their movies wich is why you see more and more cell shaded stuff.

Mechaman
12-06-2003, 11:26 PM
When I was 11 or so, my dad's friend sent us a VHS tape containing the Thunderbirds premiere episode, vintage from the TV station they worked at in the 70's. Great fun. My question is if they're going to have the loopy extended sequences of the pilots boarding the TBirds, and the massively complicated launch sequences. :D

(Was that Michael York saying "Thunderbirds are Go!"?)

Layer01
12-07-2003, 12:02 AM
he he he he :p that looked really really cool....i think it should be very fun...but i just hope that i'm ready in time.......ready for .....the thunder dun dun dun *cheesy music goes here* :D

slart
12-07-2003, 10:42 PM
And to think i nearly worked on this show..................
Close shave......................

you seem to be talking up your talents, from what i heard, you were offered not work at all by framestore, sounds like sour grapes to me.

s

robkoni
12-08-2003, 09:54 AM
Hello Slart ,hmmmmmmmmmmm do you work at Framestore CFC?
were you there at the metting Asylum 3D had ?....Funny dont remember you there......I can show you the Email from the Lead modeller asking me if I was available to work on the show and the subsequent mails about the work.
Interested how you seem to know so much about it:hmm:
I think Framestore CFC turn out fantastic work ,however on the trailer I saw i thought the efx shots were below par.....if thats what they were supposed to be ,supposed to be cheesy well,I missed the point and they have sucseeded.
It is just my opinion at this time ,but to insinuate that it was born out of jealousy is slightly hurtfull:cry:
All the best Robin.

robkoni
12-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Also like to say I am a Fan of Thunderbirds ,and will be taking my son to see this film,and possibly missed the point,I often do..........
,never ment to affend anyone:blush:

Chris Thomas
12-08-2003, 11:31 AM
All I'll say is compare this to something ILM have done in the past with a large number of CG shots in it. Say EP2.

Does most of the CG in EP2 look real? I mean really? Having said that, plot aside I really enjoyed EP2 as a bit of a romp.Thunderbirds too is a very heavy CG show, maybe if the CG was less prevelent then more CG love could be lavished to make every shot photoreal. Look at the LOTR films, can you say hand on heart that every CG shot is stella? Some (most) are superb, others suck a little, and this is on a film with a massive CG budgdet and a very prottracted R&D phase.

Anyway, at the end of the day if the CG supports the storyline and people enjoy the film then it will have served its purpose.

We'll just have to wait and see.

kromekat
12-08-2003, 11:44 AM
I think I'll reserve judgement for when I see the DVD - gawd knows I wont go and see it at the cinema from that trailer! lol!

Some things are best left alone, not that I see this taking anything away from the original series, I doubt that it will add anything. :rolleyes:

t-man152
12-08-2003, 12:51 PM
the reason it looks cheasy is because of its perfectness. its obviously made to look all cheesy. I mean look at the actors haircuts, and their costumes. if they had tried to make it look real they would have made them look not so perfect same with the spaceships they would not have put those bright colors in everything that has to do with the space ship. its just a kookie movie with kookie props, kookie wardrobe and kookie cg shots its meant to be.

toonwookie
12-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by slart
And to think i nearly worked on this show..................
Close shave......................
s
please post what you are currently working on as I would be interested in what you are doing in your "unshaven" state and I would love to offer you some "constructive critism".

Steve Green
12-08-2003, 04:56 PM
Alan's(?) hair in the trailer looks more artificial than any of the effect shots...

I wonder if Brains still has a stutter in the remake or if that won't be PC?

Not sure about Bill Paxton as Jeff Tracey though, I keep thinking of Hudson from Aliens, not exactly the guy you want to keep level headed as part of International Rescue :)

- Steve

BigErn
12-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Not sure about Bill Paxton as Jeff Tracey though, I keep thinking of Hudson from Aliens, not exactly the guy you want to keep level headed as part of International Rescue

They were looking for a lifeless wooden puppet so I think casting Bill Paxton was an excellent choice. Throw in Bill Pullman and Hugh Grant and it would be amazingly like the original.

:)

kromekat
12-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by BigErn
They were looking for a lifeless wooden puppet so I think casting Bill Paxton was an excellent choice. Throw in Bill Pullman and Hugh Grant and it would be amazingly like the original.

:)

:applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.