PDA

View Full Version : Dell 7600 Vs BOXX 8920

silentman
10-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Hi every one ,, I have confused between bell 7600 and BOXX 8920
I am looking for the best performance in the best price as well and I need my PC for rendering and animation in both CPU and GPU. My budget is depend on the performance in the great price . so I compare the 2 workstations that I am looking for :
1- DELL 7600
2- BOXX 8920

1- The configuration of DELL 7600 :
PROCESSORS Dual Eight Core XEON (E5-2687W, 3.1GHz, 20M, 8.0 GT/s, Turbo+)
OPERATING SYSTEM Windows 7 Professional,SP1, No Media, 64-bit, English
MEMORY 32GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, ECC (8 x 4GB DIMMs)
VIDEO CARD 2.5GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 5000, DUAL MON, 2DP & 1DVI
HARD DRIVE/RAID CONFIGURATION C1 SATA 3.5 Inch, 1-4 Hard Drives
CONTROLLER CARD PERC H310 SATA/SAS Controller for Dell Precision
HARD DRIVE 2TB, 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DVD-ROM SATA
WIRELESS CARD No Remote access host card for FX100 Remote Access Device
SYSTEM MANAGEMENT MODE No Out-of-Band Systems Management
SECURITY SOFTWARE Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security Services, 30-days

DELL 7600 price is : 9,324.00 $
Next,,

The configuration of BOXX 8920 :
DUAL XEON E5-2687W 3.1GHZ, 20MB CACHE, 8.00 QPI (EIGHT-CORE)
32GB DDR3-1600 REG ECC (8 - 4GB DIMMS)
NVIDIA QUADRO 5000 2.5GB
2TB 7,200RPM SATA
20X DUAL LAYER DVD±RW WRITER
MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL EDITION 64-BIT
BOXX PREMIUM SUPPORT 1 YEAR (YEARS 2 AND 3 STANDARD) - US AND CANADA ONLY
BOXX 3 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY

BOXX 8920 is : 13,882.00 $

It’s clear that the different is 4,558 $ and its almost the same configuration
What I think is something big behind the BOXX but I want to know your advice about it .

AJ1
10-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Boxx has more support, and the cases are really nice. There normally water cooled, and are factory over clocked. I used to have one at my old job.

If you know what your doing, it might be a good idea to buy the parts individually, and snap it all together yourself. You might be able to save a few grand. It might take 20-30 hours of research and work, but if you can save 2K, its time well spent.

-AJ

sentry66
10-21-2012, 03:19 AM
All that money and they don't even come with 64 or 96 gigs of ram???

I'd go with dell...

tswalk
10-21-2012, 03:32 AM
you get what you pay for.. but in these cases (pun intended), you generally are paying for the support...

which, if they work as well as they ought to... then that should be zero support needed!

ya, i'm a big fan of DIY, but you really need to do your homework before hand and supporting yourself.

cgbeige
10-21-2012, 04:17 PM
I reviewed a Dell T5600 and I hope the retail versions are better constructed than the one I got. They are surprisingly shabby feeling.

I'm a Mac guy but if I had to buy a pre-built PC, I'd buy an HP Z820, despite the noise.

silentman
10-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Boxx has more support
-AJ
its 4,558$ ! ,it could be right but not worth to be a huge different
Dell 7600 still expensive but cheaper than let say the support of BOXX

silentman
10-21-2012, 06:49 PM
All that money and they don't even come with 64 or 96 gigs of ram???

I'd go with dell...

its expensive because its 16 core and have a great video card

silentman
10-21-2012, 06:51 PM
you get what you pay for...

good one :thumbsup: .
but 4,558 $ extra for what ? support !

silentman
10-21-2012, 06:53 PM
I reviewed a Dell T5600 and I hope the retail versions are better constructed than the one I got. They are surprisingly shabby feeling.

I'm a Mac guy but if I had to buy a pre-built PC, I'd buy an HP Z820, despite the noise.

have you heard about BOXX . its a great workstation compared with others .if dell 7600 is better price what is the reason for BOXX to be expensive

AJ1
10-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Keep in mind that the BOXX is overclocked around 25%, so in theory there's a greater risk of damage to components.

But if you really don't feel like building your own PC, I would recommend going with a mainstream build like Dell or HP.

vlad
10-22-2012, 02:24 PM
That build adds up to under $6800 in parts. If you dont mind spending almost $14000 on a Boxx, just build yourself 2 of those...

sentry66
10-22-2012, 04:11 PM
its expensive because its 16 core and have a great video card

yeah, I know. I'm a build it yourself kinda guy.

I've looked into the costs of building such a machine and it's around $7000 in parts. I'd consider building one myself if it wasn't for there being no overclocking option - not even the EVGA SRX motherboard will let you overclock.

I don't care about tech support - I can do that myself in less time than it takes for a vendor to do it. Usually the only parts at high risk of failing these days are the video card and power supply. I can run to the store and replace a bad part in less than 2 hours. It'd take a vendor at least 1-3 days to rectify the situation. The parts have a 1 or more year warranty anyway.

sentry66
10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Keep in mind that the BOXX is overclocked around 25%, so in theory there's a greater risk of damage to components.

But if you really don't feel like building your own PC, I would recommend going with a mainstream build like Dell or HP.

Are you sure the 8920 model is overclocked? To my knowledge, no motherboard offers overclocking for the latest sandy bridge xeons unless you count turbo mode. I'm not seeing any option to "overclock 25%" for the 8920 model

You sure you're not confusing this model with Boxx's older SR2 based motherboard with the older xeons that does offer overclocking?

AJ1
10-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Are you sure the 8920 model is overclocked? To my knowledge, no motherboard offers overclocking for the latest sandy bridge xeons unless you count turbo mode. I'm not seeing any option to "overclock 25%" for the 8920 model

You sure you're not confusing this model with Boxx's older SR2 based motherboard with the older xeons that does offer overclocking?

Hmmm... good call. I think the Boxx that I had was based on the SkullTrail MB, and the chips that went into that were unlocked.

Doesn't look like the new E5 chips have an unlocked version out yet.

Sad... I guess Intel is so far ahead of AMD at this point in the server world, that they don't even need to let their chips run at max speed to compete. :sad:

tswalk
10-22-2012, 11:15 PM
....let their chips run at max speed to compete. :sad:

overclocking is like driving your Toyota with Nitrous Oxide all day long... ya, that thing is gonna run like a beast! and eventually it will explode.

AJ1
10-23-2012, 12:07 AM
overclocking is like driving your Toyota with Nitrous Oxide all day long... ya, that thing is gonna run like a beast! and eventually it will explode.

Ha ha, yea. Check out what happend to my render blade. Its a 3.2 Phenom x6, and I would run renders on it all day long at 4.1.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=23&t=1035664

Do your homework and don't end up like me if your going to overclock! :cry:

Anyway, if your going build your own rig, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people on here or TomsHardware to help you out if something goes wrong.

-AJ

tswalk
10-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Ha ha, yea. Check out what happend to my render blade. ...

i've done that too... you know that sinking feeling you get with the smell of plastic and acid.. ya, that feeling.

;)

sentry66
10-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Ha ha, yea. Check out what happend to my render blade. Its a 3.2 Phenom x6, and I would run renders on it all day long at 4.1.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=23&t=1035664

Do your homework and don't end up like me if your going to overclock! :cry:

Anyway, if your going build your own rig, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people on here or TomsHardware to help you out if something goes wrong.

-AJ

That sucks, sorry to hear about your system

....but that's kinda to be expected with a micro ATX board though to be honest
...especially if they're made by MSI who have been known to skimp on a lot of key issues in regards to overclocking on their motherboards.

I personally only overclock systems that are full ATX (or larger) with a mid-tower or larger case with reinforced airflow and redundant fans.

Overclocking any sort of rackmount or consumer micro ATX system with tiny high speed fans IMO is asking for failure.

sure, if you buy cheap components not meant for 24/7 overclocking performance or if you just don't know what you're doing and crank the vcore like crazy.

A quality setup will have many safeguards. Going cheap will end up being more expensive

InfernalDarkness
10-24-2012, 10:04 PM
With regards to overclocking, some components handle it much better than others. I'm using a Phenom X6 1100T here at work, clocked to 4GHz since I built it well over a year ago now, and it's running just fine. That said, perhaps only 30 of my 40-hour work week is spent rendering, and only 5 cores render in Maya (unless the boss shows up, then it drops down to 3!). My FX-8120 at home however isn't quite so reliable, nor is it quite as fast as the 1100T, obviously.

But I do remember the good 'ol days, overclocking a Geforce 4 to play Morrowind- the card started glowing bright orange, and I got a RED screen of death! And that was that; somehow, the motherboard and even the AGP slot were fine, after that, but the card itself was slag.

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2012, 10:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.