PDA

View Full Version : little animation competition here!

ilasolomon
06-14-2002, 11:08 PM
Let's start a mini-quick animation competition:

Animating a Sphere & a Box, Telling a simple short story with them.

Rules:

1. Allowed Geometries are "One Sphere, One Box, One Ground Plane (Any Size, Any Type)"
2. One Camera, Unlimited Lights, Textures Are Allowed But keep Them Simple, BTW It's an
Animation Competition Not a Modeling/Rendering One!)
3. The length of the Film, Including the Titles & Credits should NOT be Exceeded 10 sec.
4. All Methods of Animating are Allowed, Skeletal, Scale/Squash, Move, Rotate, Morph,
(You could Morph the Box & the Sphere to each other, But Not to any Other Kind of Objects.)
5. You can make a Hole, Crack or any Geometry Deformation/Destruction to the Box/Sphere.
6. You can Extrude Faces/Vertices from them but the WHOLE Mesh must Looks like a Box/Sphere.
7. The Whole Film must be Rendered/Previewed in ONE Single Shot, No Cut Allowed.
8. Image Post Processing in an External Program is NOT Allowed, but Sound FX Mixing is.
9. Oh, EYES are NOT Allowed! No Way, Don't Ask.

The Entries will be Judged, but No Prize yet! :)
Who want to be the Competitor/Animator & Who want to be the Judge?
Please be in Hurry, It's Simple, Use Your creativity & imagination.

ila

Frinsklen
06-15-2002, 11:39 AM
oh, I know what you mean, ila...

There's something on these rules I don't understand.
One light? why?
I know you want this to be as simple as possible, but I dont mean GI or impressive lighting, I just want it to look ok...

are you a competitor?

A corporated modeling, then an animation competition...man, these time eaters of yours are going to ruin my holidays!!
:D

ilasolomon
06-15-2002, 10:12 PM
hi!
well, ok ... the lights are unlimited! i corrected the ruls
& if you want i can be one of the competitors!, i already
have done 4 of them! :) hahaha!
it was very very fun, i recommend every animator around try this.

ilasolomon
06-17-2002, 12:57 AM
O ANIMATORS, WHERE ARE THUO?!
ok, it's mine...i mean these are mine!...

http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Animations/anims_box&sphere.htm

hope you have got the idea...you lazy animators! :)

bentllama
06-17-2002, 07:26 AM
Some of us animators here are not lazy...we are just busy doing paid work...

...I do not have time to play with [my] balls...

:argh: :curious: :surprised :p

SlipKorn
06-17-2002, 07:53 AM
Oh geez, Thor.

:applause: :buttrock: :shame: :rolleyes:

Velocamonkey
06-17-2002, 10:34 AM
Frinsklen what program did you use to create the animations on your site? Maya or Max?

Rogue
06-17-2002, 03:29 PM
I posted in the thread under general discussion and figured I'd better post one here as well. I'm interested. It sounds like fun. But what's the deadline?

ila_solomon: I can't see your animations. I get page not found error. I was checking to make sure I'm not planning on something that's already been done.

j00st81
06-17-2002, 05:50 PM
haha, I'm in! seeing no1 else is entering, I will deffo get 1st place, moewuhahah! :cool:

when's the deadline?

Frinsklen
06-17-2002, 07:22 PM
Ila, stop animating or I'll run out of ideas!!
seriously, that's very well done.
I'm having some problems with my max copy and I dont know if I could do my "one box one sphere" thing. But I would really love to.

- Velocamonkey, I use MAX, though the WIP head on my website is made with Maya
(I mean THIS (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10971) one)

j00st81
06-17-2002, 07:34 PM
hehe, thats very nice, ila :p

but the one with the teeth, is that permitted?

Rogue
06-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Hey, how are you guys able to see the animations? Everytime I try to do anything with them, I get a 'the requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found'. I don't have any errors with the rest of his site.....what am I doing wrong?

j00st81
06-17-2002, 09:23 PM
Mabye it's your provider, try these direct links:

http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Animations/box&sphere/part#01_test#02.avi
http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Animations/box&sphere/part#02_test#01.avi
http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Animations/box&sphere/part#03_test#01.avi
http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Animations/box&sphere/part#04_audio_sfx.avi

EDIT:

hmm, seems that u can't download them "regular mode"

First rightclick and "save target as",and then use download accelerator.

ilasolomon
06-17-2002, 09:51 PM
hello friends...

bentllama, i didn't mean it seriusly, sorry!
Rogue, still no deadline because of those lazy animators(!!!)
& u must RIGHT CLICK on the links & SAVE THE TARGET AS...
this damn frontpage!!! i don't know it very much, damn me too!!!
j00st81, since the teeth are faces extruded from the box
yes it's permitted! :)

Rogue
06-17-2002, 10:14 PM
ila_solomon and j00st81: Sorry guys, I still can't download them. If I try to Save Target As I get the error mentioned before. If I left click, or click on the links you gave me above, I get the page not found error. This sucks. I'm at work at the moment, I'll try when I get home. Maybe it's our server, but I've not had any difficulties before. :shrug:

How many do we have so far, 3 or 4?

ilasolomon
06-17-2002, 10:18 PM
Rogue hope it will work from home, there is no limitation
for # of anims, more is better! fly your mind as far as you could!
see how many idea you can take out from it!..mine will be over
after the 7th one i think! :) haha maybe then we should make
new rules. :D

Rogue
06-17-2002, 11:53 PM
Well CRAP!!!! I still can't get to them. Here's the error when I right click and try to save target as:

"Internet Explorer cannot download part#01_test#02.avi from www.topleftpixel.com. Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

This is a first for me. The only common thing between here and work is both are IE ver5. Could that possibly be the problem? Surely not!?! I guess I should upgrade anyways.

I'll start tonight on my spot. I don't have any web space at the moment though....yeah I know, what kind of animator am I? If I still can't download your avi's, can you tell what each is about, so that I don't inadvertently steal your ideas? :)

ilasolomon
06-18-2002, 12:55 AM
use Download accelerator, GetRight or gozilla for D/L...
...install DAP then use the "Save As Target..." command.

Rogue
06-18-2002, 04:07 AM
I installed IE6 and downloaded GetRight. Still getting the same errors. I've tried everything I could think of and make a guess at. This is just bizarre. What gets me is I get the same errors from work, which has nothing in common with my service or computer at home. I'm at a lose....:sad:

Even more odd, I don't have any troubles with anything else from your site. All the pages load fine and I can get your imagery. It's a mystery. I wonder if anyone else has had the same difficulties.

bentllama
06-18-2002, 06:09 AM
ila: I cannot get the links to work either...

btw: I was trying to joke around about the balls thing...

your sipmple suggestion of using only a ball and spere to show character is a fun one...I actually like doing simple animation like that...the infamous flour sack is another fun thing to animate...

Later

if10w
06-18-2002, 06:46 AM
i can't d/l the animation neither, same problem.:argh:

btw, ila, i love your photographs, those insects are so beautiful :thumbsup: :love:

if10w :beer:

SlipKorn
06-18-2002, 06:28 PM
Broken links, my friend. GetRight or Gozilla won't help at all if nothing can connect to your server.

~sk

ilasolomon
06-18-2002, 09:53 PM
oh i'm goning to hang myself! :) for god sake why it don't work?
could anyone help me to correct this problem?
i use frontpage & the files are in avi format...i myself can d/l
it, with DAP...

Rogue
06-18-2002, 10:33 PM
I can't help you out with that.

How was j00st81 able to download them? Apparently he saw them, since he commented on them. I'm glad these other guys was having problems. I thought I was black listed from the internet. :)

Let us know when it's working.

ilasolomon
06-18-2002, 10:51 PM
this is the original folder, please try it with DAP, GetRight or
Gozilla
http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Animations/box&sphere/part#01_test#02.avi
http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Animations/box&sphere/part#02_test#01.avi
http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Animations/box&sphere/part#03_test#01.avi
http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Animations/box&sphere/part#04_audio_sfx.avi

copy/paste the links into your download app...
i worked for me ...

ilasolomon
06-18-2002, 10:58 PM
those insects are so beautiful

thanks a lot if10w i think the insects are the most
amazing/beautiful/perfect life forms in nature! :) specialy
spiders...i could say i LOVE them! :) haha

ilasolomon
06-19-2002, 12:04 AM
OK...i just put a ziped file included 4 AVIs here:
http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila/temp/box&sphere/box&sphere1-4.zip
hope this time it works, coz it took 35 minutes to upload!!! :)

Rogue
06-19-2002, 02:05 AM
Great!!! I've got the zip coming in now. :)

Thanks man

Velocamonkey
06-20-2002, 11:29 AM
Okay, here's my crappy little animation, I'm still learning so crit me hard and give me all the pointers you can muster.

www.btinternet.com/~hull.family/BOXnBALL.avi

Rogue
06-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Heeeyyy!! You guy's animations are longer than 10 seconds. Mine is 10 seconds with no credits or anything and I had to squeeze it in there. No fair. :)

I've got mine laid in, now I just have to tweak some things and hopefully I'll have it rendered tonight. I've just gotta find some web space. I think I have some with my server, but I know nothing of FTP. Any advice?

Velocamonkey
06-20-2002, 04:41 PM
10 seconds? Whoops, I forgot.

ilasolomon
06-20-2002, 10:30 PM
Velocamonkey, :) haha very cute...the ending is a little
unfinished i think...maybe, but i like the timing & anticipations.
did you do the linear keframing then smooth some curve?!

Velocamonkey
06-21-2002, 10:39 AM
No, I tried do things your way around this time, I like the results.

By the way, how do I get my website address below to be clickable?

Rogue
06-21-2002, 02:30 PM
Hey guys, I've got mine done. I have to talk to a friend today and see if he can give me some space and then I'll post a link. No audio though.

Velocamonkey: I like your animation. I love when the ball comes in and comes to a stop. That's cool.

ila_solomon: I like the one with the audio the best. They're all good, but I like it the best. Have you worked on anymore of them?

Velocamonkey
06-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Cool, I wanna see it.:thumbsup:

Rogue
06-21-2002, 05:47 PM
Ok, thanks to Robbie Watts at pixelwhip.com for supplying some webspace and the link. Good guy, that Robbie... :)

Here it is, hope you all like it. Sorry, there is no audio. Requires Divx 5.02.

www.pixelwhip.com/Coakley/BoxSphere.avi

Oh, ila_solomon, this was really fun. A great idea. We'll have to make some other animation competitions as well.

Frinsklen
06-21-2002, 06:35 PM
I can't see it, Rogue. :sad:
what did you encode it with?

j00st81
06-21-2002, 06:41 PM
hehe, Rogue, very nice animationz, the "looking at the ball" part is real cool:cool:

I can't get those animations going nicely in cinema4d...not really the best program for this kinda stuff...:annoyed:

Rogue
06-21-2002, 06:58 PM
Shoot! Sorry Frinsklen, I forgot to mention that needs the divx 5.02 codec.

Thanks j00st81. It was fun to work on. Of coarse, I'm never completely happy with anything I do. I usually get done with something and after watching it a few times, want to go and change 14 things. :)

ilasolomon
06-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Rogue aha, I downloaded yours but not install new x.02
DivX codec...i'm going to d/l it now
& i didn't any new one...but i want to! :) maybe tomorrow
i think you should do more than one too!...what about the
others?! :) j00st81, where is yours?!...Frinsklen?
hey c'mon boys...

j00st81
06-21-2002, 10:51 PM
well, being kinda new to animation and all, I demand a longer working period:wip:
heh,
no but really, I'm finally free since today, till the end of august, so I'll start 2morrow :beer:

Velocamonkey
06-22-2002, 11:51 AM
JC what software did you do your animation in?

Rogue
06-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Lightwave. I made this really funky bone structure to try and simulate legs and for twisting. I use morphs for the brows. The edges of the box bother me alittle, but I figured it's for animation fun, not technical headaches. So I left it as is.

I've got a lot to do this weekend around the house, but hopefuly I can find the time to do another one.

ilasolomon
06-22-2002, 11:08 PM
Rogue
i 'v just seen your work! :) cool , great...! :)
& the only crit is the last keyframes should be ...hmmm...faster
it's a little slow ( i mean kicking), hmm...maybe
anyway nice work, i want more!

DrAdamDinosaur
06-23-2002, 01:00 PM
Hey, I thought I'd have a go at this. Heres my little animation, It took me three hours (start to finish) and I'm fairly happy with it. Let me know what you think. I don't have any sound, hope that doesn't matter. Oh, forgive the shadows, I'll fix them later.

http://www.geocities.com/adamdowley/posts/BoxNBall.avi

I like the other animations, had a little trouble viewing Ila_Solomons though. Worth the wait though.

Adam

Frinsklen
06-23-2002, 05:03 PM
some critiques....

Rogue: great job!, Those deformations you've applied to the box are a bit confusing. When the box turns back it keeps sticked to the ground and I think you should have made it jump and turn in the air, just a bit. And the kick sould be faster, more violent.

DrAdamDinosaur: cool, but it needs more variety, try making the ball bounce as it approaches to the box, because it looks like an sphere moving through the an axis without rotation. And what's with the shadows?

Great job guys, I hope this helps.

j00st81
06-23-2002, 09:36 PM
wheee!

ok my animation is done, to view,
download this file:
http://j00st81.mysitespace.com/Cube_ball_ani.txt

and rename the .txt part to .zip
Unzip it, and play ;)

ps: need latest divx codec
pps: sorry for the all the hussle, I havn't really got a descent webspace yet :rolleyes:

be gentle, its my first animation woth bones :D

ilasolomon
06-23-2002, 10:18 PM
helllo friends
now it goes amazing...a few post (4 i think) & i hope there will
be more...more...a lot!
bentlama shame on you that you didn't enter our little comp! :)
we know u r great @ animation but give us honor & join! :bounce: :thumbsup: :beer:

ilasolomon
06-23-2002, 10:21 PM
j00st81 ahah :D it's a lot of fun! what a astonish idea...
i like it, i didn't guess what could be happend... :)
:thumbsup:

DrAdamDinosaur
06-24-2002, 02:33 AM
Heres a playblast to show you that the ball is actually rolling. I have assigned checked maps. No shadows this time (because its a play blast), don't know what happened last time, weird.

[move along, nothing to see here, this link has been removed]

There, this should show actual animation now:)

Rogue
06-24-2002, 03:36 AM
DrAdamDinosaur: I get an invalid compressor error from your animation. What codec did you use?

j00st81: That's hilarious. Very creative use of a box and sphere. Although, a little reminiscient of the "Alien Song". :) Still, great spot.

Thanks for your comments on the animation I did. I've had two comments on the speed of the kick, so I might fix that for you.

I haven't had anytime this weekend to work on another spot. But I've got an idea, so I'll post it as soon as it's done.

Thanks for the opporatunity ila_solomon. It's been fun and we don't have to get caught up in technical issues. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be very popular. Oh well, too bad for those not getting in on the fun. :)

Frinsklen: Where's yours dude? It's such a small group....we need support. :)

DrAdamDinosaur
06-24-2002, 10:15 AM
??? If you have divx5 it should work fine. It works really well if you use the divx player, its version 2.0 i think.

Rogue
06-24-2002, 01:33 PM
The only way I can download it is by right clicking and save target as. I get the file and it is 334 kb. I don't use the playa so I reinstalled Divx 5.02 with the playa and it says failed to open file. Windows Media Player says the file format is invalid.

I don't know.....

otacon
06-24-2002, 04:28 PM
Hello all:wavey: Ive been following this thread in the background for a while. Sorry i havent posted, but i wasnt sure if i wanted to do an animation. I have to say what a good idea this is ila. ive watched Rogues short. its pretty good. But anyway, i thought i might as well give it a try. Ill start an animation today, and try to have it posted by tomorrow or something.:D

otacon
06-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Ive finished my animation, but i have a problem.:cry: I dont have a web page, so how can I post it?:shrug:

j00st81
06-24-2002, 09:38 PM
well u can put it on a free server like I did, the only problem with most free servers is that u can't upload .avi or .zip , so u gotta rename it to .txt or something

tips: www.brinkster.com (<--30 mb free, but low bandwith)
www.mysitespace.com ( only 5 mb, but if u email the admin, u can get more, and the bandwith is pretty much)

hope this helps, looking 4ward to ur animation:thumbsup:

ilasolomon
06-24-2002, 10:42 PM
hi
thank everybody for responds & kindness.
emmm...otaconp if you want u can mail it to me then i'll
put it for you in my temp folder in my webspace..but
tell me how much is it's size?! if it is under 1mb i think i can
manage it...

otacon
06-25-2002, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys.

ila_solomon: I havent rendered it out yet, but ill render it tonight and tell you how big it is tomorrow or later tonight, im pretty sure it will be under 1 meg. I really dont want to hassle with trying to get some web space right now, but thanks for the info j00st81.:thumbsup:

Rogue
06-25-2002, 02:32 AM
otacon: Thank God for flawed hose pipes! :)

Get that dude rendered so we can see it. I'm going to start another one tonight....I hope! Depends on if I can stay awake long enough. :)

Velocamonkey
06-25-2002, 09:38 AM
This threads turned out cool.

Yeah that animation is cool but it's loads like Alien Song.

Ila: In that last animation when the box jumps on the ball, you can see that the ball just stops mid air as you can still see it's shaddow on the floor. This is being picky, because the animation kicks ass!

More more more!!:applause:

DrAdamDinosaur
06-25-2002, 04:20 PM
Haven't had time to adjust the animation but have rerendered with a check texture and finally uploaded so it works. Oh, Still got hte aweful shadows. Better shadows will come when i feel like working on ht animation again. At least NOW you can see hte ball rolling. Updated all my posts but for the lazy its at :

http://www.geocities.com/adamdowley/posts/BoxNBall.avi

adam

otacon
06-25-2002, 04:34 PM
Alright. I got it all rendered out, and its under 1mb. It plays with divx. ila_solomon: You think you could post it for me if i mail it to you? I would need your email address.Thanks.:bounce:

Rogue
06-25-2002, 05:00 PM
DrAdamDinosaur: Hey guy. I got the one called BoxAndBall.avi. Your last link has a file name of BoxNBall.avi, which I can't download. So unless you tell me otherwise, I'm going to assume the one I've got is correct.

It looks great (except the shadows). I love the squash and stretch you have on the box. It looks like it travels up and down the box. How'd you do that....it's cool!! So what's up with the shadows?

My second animation is rendering now. I hope I can add some sound to this one and have it posted this afternoon sometime. It's kicked my butt, but I like it.

btw, where can I get some sound effects? I have some here that I found that was free...some more wouldn't hurt. I really need a GOOD sound effects library and I'm willing to pay for it. I know of Sound Ideas...are there any others that you guys know of?

j00st81
06-25-2002, 05:08 PM
Velocamonkey: hehe, yeah, it's indeed like the alien song, It was the first thing I thought of when entered. I wanna make another (totally original ;)) but I have no Idea how I'm gonna do this.

I can ask for help from u guys, but then it wouldn't be a surprise anymore, would it :rolleyes:

so I'm just gonna try and see where I end up (Cinema4D btw)

wish me luck :D

ilasolomon
06-25-2002, 10:38 PM
you can see that the ball just stops mid air as you can still see it's shaddow on the floor

o my god...i should correct it ! thank veloca.

i'v just uploaded otacon anim but wait till he himself
post the link, coz for easy tracking of the thread.

Rogue i'm dying to see the next! :)

& should i make the 5th one?

otacon
06-26-2002, 12:47 AM
Alright, heres my animation.:D Tell me what you think.
Thanks to ila for the web space.:thumbsup:

http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila/temp/box&sphere/otacon_smash%5ffinal.zip

I hope that worked.:hmm:

j00st81
06-26-2002, 01:07 AM
arg, sorry otacon pal, it don't work, it gives an error when I try to download :shrug:

otacon
06-26-2002, 01:19 AM
hmmmm....it didnt work for me either....but i was hoping that was just me.:hmm: its on ilas site, so i dont really know what the problem could be. I hate to have to use his site, but i dont have one. Ill see what i can do.;)

Rogue
06-26-2002, 02:15 AM
Hey guys. Ok, here is the second one. Forgive the crude audio, I didn't have much to work with. Anyways, I think the audio actually loses the intent. There should be some kind of growl or angry noise when he stomps his foot, but I didn't have one....so just imagine a growl at that part. :)

otacon: I had problems with downloading ila's animations from his site abefore and I can't get yours either. I'm having to bum some web space as well. I think our email is in our profiles, so you can just send it to me that way so that I can see it.

I wonder if CGTalk would let us use a little, or let us rent about 20 megs or so for our contest? Maybe worth looking into.

ila_solomon: Why shouldn't you make a 5th one? :) Make another one....I had a blast with this one!

Well, hope you enjoy the animation. I'll find some sort or growl sound and edit it in. It's a little under a meg and divx 5.02 again.

http://www.pixelwhip.com/Coakley/BoxSphere2.avi

otacon
06-26-2002, 02:37 AM
Thats a great animation Rogue.:thumbsup: I might work on another one too.

DrAdamDinosaur
06-26-2002, 03:00 AM
The file has been updated, download the link again and it will be the new copy. I tried downloading it and it worked so it should work for you. Just make sure you have divx 5.

This seems like a little to much hassle for a quick animation:)

All i have been doing recently is working on character rigs so I wanted this guy to be as smiple as possible. Its just a cube(7x7x7 segments) with a 4x4x4 lattice adn clusters controling those points. I just moved and scaled the clusers until i was happy. The simpler things are hte more fun they are.

Rogue
06-26-2002, 04:31 AM
I think I have gotten everyone's except otacon's (check your pm for email address), but he should be sending it to me. I'm counting 10 in all including otacon's. Does that sound right?

IDEA: let's name them with our username-x.avi nomenclature. Especially if we're going to do multiple versions. With all the broken links, it's getting confusing as to who's is who's. I went back and found all the ones that belonged to that person and renamed it accordingly.

Frinsklen: Where's yours at? We need animated boxes and spheres. :)

DrAdamDinosaur: One of your links is still busted for me but I think I've got your latest one. It is textured but the shadow problem is still there...is that the right one?

It has been really fun. I've even animated some double takes for the first time!!! :) It's been great seeing everyones work. j00st81's still cracks me up. The clapping makes it so funny.

We've generated almost 1000 views. So at least someone has been looking. Just wished we had more participants. Maybe we should start giving it 5 stars on each post. :)

j00st81
06-26-2002, 10:05 AM
5 stars for this thread! aMaazing talent here;)

I just gave up on my 2nd idea, it's just impossible for me.
heres the thingy: I wanted to create bubblegum blowing up...

...how the f00k do you create bubblegum?! :surprised

first I tried with metaball, but the only thing u get with metaball is balls and gooy stuff. than I tried just the explode...buh that looks like sh*t...then I gave up :rolleyes: any1 got any ideas?

DrAdamDinosaur
06-26-2002, 05:00 PM
I had a similar idea of blowing up something like a balloon. I scraped it because making something explode is a little to complicated for only a sphere and a cube. I am going to try and do another one though. Just got to find another three hours. Soon hopefully.

lostpencil
06-28-2002, 03:52 AM
Hey guys, cool little contest. Would it matter if the animations are a 'tad' longer? We had a similar contest on the cg-char list. A ball, a plane and a wall (box?). The other caveat was to make the ball a rubber ball and in another animation make it a bowling ball and they have to try to get over the wall...

http://www.lostpencil.com/images2/ball1.mpg
http://www.lostpencil.com/images2/ball2.mpg

Anyway, happy animating!

Cheers,
Paul Mikulecky
Lost Pencil Animation Studios Inc.
http://www.lostpencil.com

"The art of character animation is to try
to catch lightning in a bottle.... one volt
at a time." Brad Bird

Rogue
06-28-2002, 03:18 PM
Hey lostpencil. Glad you showed us your animations. Good stuff. The little ball is animated well. I guess the wall could be considered a box. :) I don't think it really matters. I don't think it's any sort of a contest anymore. More just something to have some fun with.

I haven't done anything else. I've been researching computer parts. It's time to put together another one and I'm really picky, so I've been gathering info on the parts I want.

When that is over, I can try another one. It's fun.

lostpencil
06-28-2002, 03:28 PM
Hi Rogue! Thanks for the kind words regarding my animations. As for the contest turning into something fun... I can't believe I do this for a living - playing for a living. But don't say that too loud, they may give me less play time... err... I mean work.

As for building a machine, I enjoy it too. I think I'm going to wait a bit longer. My current machine is enough to run the top three 3d apps, so when the new releases come out (Maya 4.5 or 5, Max 5, Lightwave 8), then I'll have to build again - if I have enough left over after all the upgrade pricing. :o) Happy animating and building!

Cheers,
Paul Mikulecky

at a time." Brad Bird

ilasolomon
06-30-2002, 05:10 PM
OK OK... sorry, really sorry...i wasn't online for 3,4 days

& this is the link for Otacon's work:

http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila/temp/box&sphere/otacon_smash_5ffinal.zip

now it works for me, hope for you! the problem was in the
filename... there is a '%' sign in the filename that i removed
it, so now it must work

i'll come back soon with my 5th!

otacon
06-30-2002, 05:28 PM
Thanks for fixing that up ila.:thumbsup:

ilasolomon
06-30-2002, 10:17 PM
u r welcome, Otacon

& do you people/competitors think that we could add a line to
rules?:
. using particle system is allowed if it doesn't look like geometric shape.
i mean using particle systems for simulating fire,smoke, dust & so on...
hmmm?!
& also changing the time limit, limit to 15 or 20 sec.

ilasolomon
06-30-2002, 11:58 PM
voila Rogue :) it was amazing, funny & cute! :) hahaha
it's a good work pal... :D
& lostpencil i really enjoyed your works, they are fited to our
contest! u r in! :) thank u, i like them so far...:D very funny.

gwelty
07-02-2002, 12:19 PM
well thanks to this thread a finally got avi's to play on my mac....after ? DL's and 3 reboots

rogue, great piece..... and yours also j00st

will try to get an clip up this week between work..looks like to fun to pass up

j00st81
07-02-2002, 12:50 PM
thanx gwelty :beer:

ila_solomon, yeah I could agree with that, particles are allowed for dust and smoke and all that, what do other ppl think?

Rogue
07-03-2002, 02:11 AM
Thanks ila and gwelty for the kind words. Glad you liked it.

I'm up for whatever changes you guys would like to make. I haven't been working on anything because of work and researching computer components. Been real busy lately.

Looking forward to seeing more work from you guys.

lostpencil
07-03-2002, 02:13 AM
Thanks ila_solomon for the kind words! Keep on animating!

Cheers,
Paul Mikulecky

at a time." Brad Bird

underdog
07-04-2002, 03:31 AM
This looked like fun, so I had to make one too.

http://luminescent.f2g.net/BoxNBallClip.avi

What do you think?

Frinsklen
07-04-2002, 09:34 AM
well done, underdog, but you still have to work on the weight and timing of that box, specially on the last jump.

For those who asked about my animation, I'm having problems with my 3dsmax copy, It doesn't work anymore and I don't know why. I'll start to animate as soon as I fix that. Sorry...
:rolleyes:

gwelty
07-04-2002, 10:35 AM
ok... here's my 10 seconds

my first real post of any work here so.... and let's see if i got that vbcode thing down...

click me (http://home.hawaii.rr.com/vanillapixel)

(1.5 mgb .mov)

gwelty
07-04-2002, 02:40 PM
after i posted i noticed i clipped the top...bad camera angle
i'll try to fix

and happy fourth to those in the u.s.

otacon
07-04-2002, 04:47 PM
I like it gwelty:thumbsup: I really like how the box looks like hes trying really hard to push down the ball. He looks like hes putting all his weight into it. funny. :bounce: I got a little lost at the end, but i guess thats because you clipped the top, which can be fixed easily.;)

ilasolomon
07-05-2002, 12:54 AM
:) HAHAHA...both are amazing, also i could see both have a little
same story. :)
hmmm, i want to do the 5th one, it must be astonish, i'm thinking
of it yet...hmmm, what it should be like?...i'v some idea...but
they are not so good to competit!!!

gwelty
07-05-2002, 10:06 AM
thanks otacon & ila_solomon...

otacon, good point about the ending...since i knew what was going on, my mind filled in the blanks....... even though it wasn't so clear

so i tweaked it.... but ran into 11 sec

new and improved boxNball version 1.1 (http://home.hawaii.rr.com/vanillapixel)

(1.1 mb .mov)

ila_solomon, can't wait for the 5th....your first four were great

otacon
07-05-2002, 05:47 PM
Thats a lot better gwelty:thumbsup: That must be one strong ball.:bounce:

Rogue
07-07-2002, 02:43 PM
Good job underdog and gwelty. I like them.

underdog: I agree with Frinsklen, the last bounce looks a little floaty. It looks to me like he's moving up too slowly. Otherwise, it looks good.

gwelty: Good work. I like it. The ending is a little unexpected. :) I have one suggestion....before the box jumps onto the ball, have him lean the other way way briefly. This will create a little anticipation of what the box is about to do and it won't take away from the suprise.

Good work guys. We have several entries in here now. I'm glad more people became interested.

ilasolomon
07-09-2002, 09:32 PM
finally i got some free hours today & did the 5th element! :)
haha, but it's in rendering progress yet then i should mix
the sound fx & maybe some music for it, so i think i place it
online tomorrow...
btw this is a teaser shot!: (the teaser of a 10 sec. anim must be a
single shot! :) )

ilasolomon
07-09-2002, 09:38 PM
what do you guess ?... what will happen this time?! :)

ilasolomon
07-09-2002, 10:05 PM
maybe this shot is better!

ilasolomon
07-10-2002, 10:40 PM
ok, this is the link to the 5th one, hope it DOES WORK!:

http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila/temp/box&sphere/part05_audio_sfx.zip

Frinsklen
07-11-2002, 01:40 PM
hey, cool morphing ila! here's my critique:

The main thing you should correct is the bounce of the ball; it is supposed to squash to anticipate the jump, then stretch in the air, and then squash again when it reaches the top. This is very important to get the feeling of weight as well.
Besides, when the ball stretches in the air, seems to me that it loses volume, do you know what I mean?
The final jump looks weird to me as well.

Great job, but I think it's not your best animation. You can do better!

ilasolomon
07-11-2002, 03:52 PM
1. it's not morph! it's just displace + spherize!
2. yes i have to do more work on the jump...
& it's not the best coz it took only 3, 4 hours to complete!

Frinsklen
07-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ila_solomon
1. it's not morph! it's just displace + spherize!
whatever... it looks really cool. :)

Ovi
07-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by j00st81
wheee!

ok my animation is done, to view,
download this file:
http://j00st81.mysitespace.com/Cube_ball_ani.txt

and rename the .txt part to .zip
Unzip it, and play ;)

ps: need latest divx codec
pps: sorry for the all the hussle, I havn't really got a descent webspace yet :rolleyes:

be gentle, its my first animation woth bones :D

HAHA - i really liked yours :D
Quite surprising!

:thumbsup:

Ovi
07-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by ila_solomon
maybe this shot is better!

I think your 5th shot is really good - much better than the others because of the suprising end :D

ilasolomon
07-11-2002, 09:43 PM
thanx a lot pal! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.