PDA

View Full Version : let's put the manual in order

shirudo
12-05-2003, 06:42 AM
I'm new to lightwave ,cgi and computers in general for that matter .And although I'm slowly but surely learning the ropes of 3d modeling I'm finding the answeres to the kinds of questions I have to be unneccisarily difficult to find (in the manual) for example let's say I opened modeler created an object then created another object and wanted to move it, shape it or delete it or whatever independantly from the first thing I created .how could I reselect the first element I created or join them together I feel this information should all be stated clearly in the first section on modeling but since it isn't any help I can get in regard to understanding the manual and reading it in the order it should have been written in would help alot

leigh
12-05-2003, 05:01 PM
It sounds to me like you need a crash course in the very basics of 3D. Unfortunately LW's manual is written at a more intermediate level.

I recommend looking for some tutorials online that will help you to become oriented with basic 3D principles.

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 08:26 PM
Depending on your point of view thats very true.
The manual as it stands is a pretty good reference but not great for tutorials. Its also already quite huge and mine destroys itself a little bit more each time I open it.

There are tutorials online at various places. In one of the threads at the top of the LW section theres a list somewhere of tutorials you can find online. I also have about 4 hours worth of free tutorials in quicktime format on my site (the link is in my Signature). If youre interested in a good Introduction to Intermediate Lightwave Course with online support you can check out a course I have HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/introtolightwave.htm)

Insider
12-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Shirudo -

There are plenty of resources online, especially right at www.newtek.com
Visit there, and download the interface overview tutorials.

You might also want to pick up some "general" 3D books at your local bookstore. I find that Borders stocks better than Barnes & Noble. Just take an hour and browse - lots of great information out there.

Best of luck,

JVitale
12-05-2003, 08:53 PM
Here's a great site for LightWave tutorials from beginners to advanced...I've gotten most of my LightWave Education here.

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

also the manual has gotten a complete overhaul and will now be available as a help file in html format which makes searching a lot easier. The next version of LightWave will contain a guide for absolute beginners and the printed version will be optional in the future...Yes, it was a long time coming but Newtek is aware of it and thanks to William Vaughn we have a better documentation system....

roguenroll
12-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by shirudo
I'm new to lightwave ,cgi and computers in general for that matter .And although I'm slowly but surely learning the ropes of 3d modeling I'm finding the answeres to the kinds of questions I have to be unneccisarily difficult to find (in the manual) for example let's say I opened modeler created an object then created another object and wanted to move it, shape it or delete it or whatever independantly from the first thing I created .how could I reselect the first element I created or join them together I feel this information should all be stated clearly in the first section on modeling but since it isn't any help I can get in regard to understanding the manual and reading it in the order it should have been written in would help alot

oh no, its all out there, LW has the best community and support.

I admit looking up to the top of mountain from the bottom, you don;t have a frame of reference. The tutorials are as plentiful
as locusts. I like to learning like that, and thats how I got started.

my site has a bunch of links, most are still active. (an update is due, I'll grant that)

aurora
12-05-2003, 10:27 PM
I'm actually really excited for the LW8 manual. So much so I'll probably dish out the extra bucks for a printed copy. I can 'almost' always find answers in the manual. But sadly there are many points that are really glossed over. Often a features option is covered in a single sentance which really does not give any info on it. Which I guess is a good thing because it causes me to have to play with the settings to figure it out. But many times I do not have and/or want to spend the time playing with settings to get something done. My vote is on Proton's changes taking care of most of these gloss overs.

Steve Warner
12-05-2003, 11:33 PM
shirudo,

In addition to Larry's excellent tutorials, I've got some material that will be helpful if you're just starting out. These two tutorials in particular will help orient you to Modeler:

Modeling overview (http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Tutorials/html/modeling_overview.html)

Action Modes (http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Tutorials/html/mode_action_center.html)

Expect some good things to come with LightWave 8 in the way of documentation...

Cheers!

Steve

Tom Wood
12-06-2003, 05:51 AM
I have to agree with shirudo,

When reading a 'manual' it is common expectation that first things will be first, and then build from there. But first things in the present manual start in Chapter 22 - Creating Geometry. Well after keyframing, bones, volumetrics, particles, distributed rendering...:surprised

And it doesn't help when the third party books/tutorials talk about how things used to be done. A new user is oblivious to the past.

As far as keeping the manual updated, the online version is great. But I would like to see a three hole punch version that has been designed with "this page/section/chapter intentionally left blank" pages that can be updated with PDF pages as they are created.

My 3 cents... And I still think the software is great. :applause:

TW

m.d.
12-06-2003, 06:13 AM
3dbuzz.com has some good video tutorials for beginners.

Chagidiel
12-06-2003, 11:20 AM
I feel it is time to give my words on this matter once.
I hear and have read alot of ill oppinions on the LW manual since I donīt know for how long.
I must now state that I actually enjoy the LW manual and that it has been a great help to me from the very beginning.

Of course it can be discussed how things are ordered up in it, but there is an index in the end. You can look things up if you want to know about certain things. It is not a novel that you need to reed from back to back in cronological order. If you want to start in modeler; read the first 2 chapters (alternately 3-5 as well) and then turn to chapter 20.

It appears somewhat strange to compare and rate manuals (since it is of major value what they are describing, and that can be very different things) but I have read a couple and canīt see that LWīs is worse than any other. Quite the oposite, in some cases. Besides it being informative and to-the-point (as a manual shoud) it is sometimes actually funny read... for example; In no other reference or documentational writing have I read the likes of:

"You can create a grid out of this object, like a matrix. (Unfortunately, no one can be told what the matrix is.)"

- LW7 manual 24.29 (regarding the Array Command) -

This of course doesnīt make a good manual, but it for sure makes i fun to keep on reading.
Then, the bottom line is that LW is a complex application capable of almost uncountable options and ways to use. There is no way the manual for such an app would be "easy" to read. There is no possibility of Insta-Learn-Chapters. There are tutorials (in the manual as well) helping you to get a hunch of what possibilities you have and what you can do with the tools LW offers. The manual is mainly a guide to where those tools are and how you use them. Imagine the thickness of the book telling you everything you COULD do with LW :eek:.

Let me end with a capital IMHO :)

leigh
12-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Chagidiel, I don't think people think it's a crap manual, but I do think it's not entirely suitable for most beginners. It's definitely written at a more intermediate level - which is fine for some beginners, but not most.

shirudo
12-06-2003, 02:06 PM
so far I've found the tutorials refrenced above to be extremely helpful, particularly splinegods transport tutorials ,but I still havn't found the information I'm looking for with regard to multiple primatives . and as I discover more and more ways mess with individual objects I realize that my initial aproach may not have been the best way to go for the type of models I'm working on. still I imagine that at some point before I'm done I will definitely need to know how to shift between (and seperately manipulate) and/or join two seperate primitives in the same object file ,or maybe not. at any rate I'm sure there is a simple answere to be had. the manual (and the tutorials) describe the various tools great ,and perhaps I'm just missing the forrest for the trees

Tom Wood
12-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Hi shirudo,

I reread your first message in this thread and wanted to point you toward Layers and Selection Sets, both referenced in the index. Unless the two objects just -have- to be joined, separate layers provide totally independent control. If they -must- be joined, then put them on seperate layers first (or keep them apart on one layer) and define some selection sets.

TW

SplineGod
12-06-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks! Glad it was useful.
What are you interested in when it comes to primitives?
Also, what are you working on in particular?

Triple G
12-07-2003, 12:16 AM
Select connected (the "]" key) and expand/contract selection (the "}" and "{" keys, respectively) are invaluable when dealing with separate pieces of unwelded geometry on the same layer.

shirudo
12-07-2003, 03:10 AM
what I'm working on right now are cg models of hiyo miazakis' airships from the nausicaa series. I'm starting with the mehve because it's the simplest but after that I plan on modeling the valley gunship pejeti brig and the tourmekian corvette and transport ships probably in that order after that I'll probably move on to the more complex durok ships or maybe even the organic jungle landscapes or giant insects. I may not need primitives for these models but I'm not sure how to do the pronounced wing flaps of the valley ships or how to construct the engine in the core of the mehve. also I'm kind of curious as to how I might colapse the rear edge of a wing taper I woud guess ,or how to put ribs along a wing srface with dips between them Like on a WWI biplane.I have the body of the mehve shaped, and what I'm lacking now are the engine detail, the wing flaps the skids/handles, and the controll bars and strap. thats sort of why I need to know about primitives. I also need to place those small bumps at the angle of the wing tips, but I'm pretty sure I can do that using the same technique that was used to create the engines in the transport tutorial although it doesn't seem to want to select polygons on the opposite side of the object through a cross section(expanding he deformaion out of both sides of the wing).
also just so everyone knows the version of LW I use is seven I aquired it when a friend gave me a computer that already had it installed I will undobtedly upgrade to 7.5 or 8 but before I spend any money I'd really like to have mastered 7 to some degree.
my next step will probably be to buy spline gods lightwave for beginners set .from what I've seen so far it really is some great learning material and alot more economic than the dvd tutorials and books at amazon .

Keiyentai
12-07-2003, 06:16 AM
Personaly I dont read manuels like I should....lol. Glimspe threw them and then just do what I can. Personaly I like Tutorials better and I like to just open up modeler and play lol. So far it has done me well :) heheh. May not have the skill of SplineGod or Leigh but I am happy with the skill I do have :D hehe Just open it up and HAVE FUN!!! LightWave RULES! and is musch easier then any other 3D app I have used and I have used them all. 3DSM, Maya, XSI on my frineds comp, Rhino 3D, Wings3D, Milkshape, Blender. If it's recent I have more then likley tryed it. LightWave is my friend heheh.

SplineGod
12-07-2003, 06:19 AM
what I'm working on right now are cg models of hiyo miazakis' airships from the nausicaa series. I'm starting with the mehve because it's the simplest but after that I plan on modeling the valley gunship pejeti brig and the tourmekian corvette and transport ships probably in that order. I may not need primitives for these models but I'm not sure how to do the pronounced wing flaps of the valley ships or how to construct the engine in the core of the mehve. also I'm kind of curious as to how I might colapse the rear edge of a wing taper I woud guess ,or how to put ribs along a wing srface with dips between them Like on a WWI biplane.I have the body of the mehve shaped, and what I'm lacking now are the engine detail, the wing flaps the skids/handles, and the controll bars and strap. I also need to place those small bumps at the angle of the wing tips, but I'm pretty sure I can do that using the same technique that was used to create the engines in the transport tutorial.
also just so everyone knows the version of LW I use is seven I aquired it when a friend gave me a computer that already had it installed I will undobtedly upgrade to 7.5 or 8 but before I spend any money I'd really like to have mastered 7 to some degree

Thats great! Talk about a blast from the past I loved the look of those ships on Valley of the Wind. I think thats a cool project. A few years ago back in LW 5.0 I did some models that were inspired by Valley of the Wind too. Heres a ship I did:
http://www.splinegod.com/personal/desertfighter.jpg

I forget the name of the bird things but I also modeled something inspired by those too. I was still learning to use the new procedurals when I was texturing this critter.

http://www.splinegod.com/personal/newroc.jpg

The Intro Course I have is really geared towards modeling stuff like this as well as texturing, rigging, lighting and animating it. Just the quicktime movies for the intro course are over 30 hrs worth. My support time is unlimited and you WILL definately come away knowing how to do this type of stuff no problem. :)
The transport is an example of additional tasks Ill have the students do. Im always creating and posting up new movies to help explain concepts better or teach new concepts I think are important. The course material is always growing.

unreal hunter
12-07-2003, 06:21 AM
this can be very confusing. if you have come from a different program, which it sounds like you have, the terminology is different and the technique is different. there are 3 basic ways to do 3d cgi
1. primitives
2. splines
3. polygons
and every program has a different way of using those to make objects. for instance max uses all 3 but natively it is a primatives modeler where the program wants to manipulate a primative. but i digress this about lightwave. it is a polygon modeler. mind you it too has all 3 devices but they are there to generate polygons. so when you tell it that you want to make a sphere after you hit the enter button it stops being a sphere and starts being a set of polygons to do with what you please-same thing with splines- now to aid you in creatingyour object lightwave has 3 seperation scources layers, surfaces and selection sets. i'm not too familuar with selection sets since my area of expertise is in version 5.6 before they implemented sets but i figure it works somthing like it does for surfaces. i won't go into how to do these things, i'm sure there are others aroud here more qualified than myself that could either point you to the right page in the man. or explain it to you. hell there are some around here that could tell you how they implemented those options into the code.

if though you need more information please don't stop asking questions here there are alot of people just chomping at the bit to help out.

laters-

shirudo
12-07-2003, 08:14 AM
thanks for the tips tom wood,and triple g. I sort of get it already .and those are cool pictures splinegod, but I did notice you seem to have used a smooth shift implosion to create the wing flaps, and since I eventually intend to animate this stuff in flight that may not be the best way for me to go about it. What I need to do is cut a cross section out of the wing and hinge a seperate flap object into that space (I think anyway).modeling the controll bars and skids should be as simple as tweaking and bending a a fiew cylinders, but I still don't quite know how to attach them to the main body of my model or (hinge them).I'll use a spline for the strap on the control bars unless somone has a better suggestion.
any details about these things would greatly apreciated ,also it would be very helpful to refrence the functions being listed to the sections in which they apear in the manual .over time this would help me alot in understanding its' language and composition better .

SplineGod
12-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Nope didnt use smooth shift on the flaps. They are separate objects. I set the pivot points so that they would rotate from the proper spot. Mind you this is going back a few years. :)
Once you model the basic shape you can cut out geometry into another layer as another object, set the pivot point and parent it to the main fusilage. The rudder was also a separate object as well as the cockpit. I think I also had places for machine guns to drop out. I had an animation of the flyer somewhere too... :)

Keiyentai
12-07-2003, 08:30 AM
awesome pics there SlineGod :D there cool.

SplineGod
12-07-2003, 08:37 AM
LOL, Thanks!
Thats some OLD stuff. I forgot I even had them until shirudo brought up Valley of the Wind. :)

evilemil
12-07-2003, 08:57 AM
if you have a problem with the printed manuals, try the html ones you can download them from the newtek site.
i just did it a few days ago, and i think the new manuals will have a similar look (they use new, moslty proton models).
Btw i was surprised in a positive way by the html-docs.
Lightwave 6, had several smaller manuals, which was better than this 1000+ pages manual that came with my LW7 upgrade (paid 100bucks extra for it).

but if you have not modelled before, your problems are more likely in not knowing how to approach your specific modelling job, than how to use/find a specific tool in LW.

Keiyentai
12-07-2003, 09:39 AM
Now that I look at it. That bird looks like a featherless Chocabo from FInal Fantasy :surprised lol

SplineGod
12-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Somebody said that before about this (except for the missing feathers part). :)
http://www.splinegod.com/personal/bird.jpg

shirudo
12-07-2003, 09:49 AM
wow splinegod I guess looks can be deciving I'll be it looks spectacular in motion. speaking of which have you read the nausicaa comic books? they're ten times better than the movie. in fact the movie is a completely butchered and compressed version of the first three graphic novels .
but anyway back to modeling .I've gotten the wing surface of the mehve blocked out the way I want it, but I just can't seem to select the polygons on the top and bottom of it simutaniously .is there any way to select all polys completely through an object (other than symetry) or to select polys rotate the view then select more
? I realize these things should be completely obvious and I apreciate everyones courtesy and patience ,still I seem to be picking it up rather quickly. as they go lightwave really seems kind of easy to learn. just as soon as I lean a few key conventions I'm sure I'll be able to model just about anything fairly quickly although it won't be textured the mehve model will probably be ready for some peer review in a fiew short days(Probably anyway). that bird model is awsom change the tail and it really would look just like a chocobo (or a horseclaw from nausicaa)

SplineGod
12-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Ive read them years ago. The movie was very cool even though it did mess with the comics some. If you switch to wireframe mode in your viewport you can select both sides at the same time.

Keiyentai
12-07-2003, 10:05 AM
:eek: :bowdown: Dude that bird is soo cool. Better hope Sqaure Enix doesent see it lol. THey might try and nail ya for copyright violations lol. j/k

SplineGod
12-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Thanks! Actually the bird was inspired by several sources over time: Nausicaa, Joust, Paleontology (Terror birds) and dynatopia. :)
I have a CD that will be out soon that shows how to model it :)

Keiyentai
12-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Thats awesome man. How much is it going to be?

shirudo
12-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Hey I've attached a file to show what I've done so far as you can see it's still qtite sloppy and needs minor adjustments all over, and lacks details(engine ,controll bar,flaps,skids).plus since I drew it from memory it may not be entirely accurate. still most of the time I've spent working on it thus far has been in the learning process and I could recreate what I've done so far in just a fiew minuites. I guess that's just how cg works. I'm sure it'll look really good when I'm done detailing it. all suggestions help on some level so keep em coming .

Insider
12-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Hey Shirudo -
you've come to the right place. Your stuff is looking good!

If you've moved beyond the basics, and are looking for more complex modeling, you should check out the tutorials I have on 3D Garage.com.

You can see images HERE (http://3dgarage.com/advanced.html) which are a couple of the final renders you'll create in the Advanced courseare. You can download the complete movie created through just the one tutorial HERE (http://www.3dgarage.com/downloads) . This is all modeled, setup with IK, Bones, Area Lights, HDR, Volumetrics, and cool camera moves. Plus, a whole lot more. You'll model and texture with UV's this frog.
There's also a section on modeling an eagle, a bedroom, and medical details as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

We're also giving away a free copy of my "Inside LightWave 8" book coming out soon. The "Inside LightWave" series is considered the bible of LightWave books in more than 5 contries. INLW 8 will be fraught with new information on Modeling, Texturing, the basics, as well as a huge bonus surprise :)

Best of luck!

SplineGod
12-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Keiyentai,
Each of those CDs will be $24.95, so very affordable. :)

Shirudo,
I think youve done a nice job so far. The only critique I can really give so far is that its more polys then it probably needs.
Also, Im offering either a 35% discount off my Intro Course for anyone who preorders Wordwares new Lightwave 8: 1001 Tips and Tricks book at http://www.wordware.com/tnt. While not the Bible its got almost as many contributing authors as the Bible. ;) This book has well over a CENTURY of combined Professional Lightwave experience covering every aspect of not JUST Lightwave 8 but other versions as well.

Im offering 25% off the full price of my Character Series or 40% of any module of my character series for anyone who preorders Wordwares TnT book.

One of the specials Im also running on any of my courses is that I throw in 2 TOUR CDs (20 EXTRA hours) of quicktime movies based on the Newtek sponsored Seminars from this last year AND The Wordware TnT Book for free!

On top of all that you get the unlimted support on my forums and a free upgrade to the additional Lightwave 8 materials for these courses which Im already hard at work on. :)

When you decide to start doing some characters for your project I show the same tools and techniques that allowed me to model, texture, rig, light and animate this frog for a 3D IMAX Film I worked on.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/bullfrogshots.avi

shirudo
12-07-2003, 08:04 PM
spline god and insider you both seem to offer some really good courses (and pitches),and if I could afford it I'd put a check in the mail for both of you today,but unfortunately at this point in my life $.300-$.400 hundred dollars is a little hard to come by. especially right around christmas, now I might be able to scratch up a hundred or so in the next fiew weeks, and since both of you seem to have some good books out or on the way I should probably buy a couple of those. but if either of you think I could get more bang for my buck with somthing else then please feel free to enlighten me. failing that it will probably be three or four months at the very least before I can seriously consider purchasing one of these two truly exelent courses.

Insider
12-07-2003, 08:44 PM
That's totally understandable. The Web is your best resource right now. Pick up a book or two, and go from there. Ask questions on these forums and practice, practice, practice.

Email me at dablan at earthlink dot net if you have any questions.

Regards,

SplineGod
12-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Hey Shirudo,
No problem. :)
Im pretty much around here a lot. I enjoy the LW community and dont mind posting stuff to help out when I can. As you get into this more post some stuff. Its something Im also pretty interested in too. :)
Do you know of a location of any good reference for the aircraft from Nausicaa?
Is there any good reference on the mehve?

One thing I like to do is use splines to layout the polys for my model. Thats how I remember doing the flyer I posted up.
When I was working on this stuff I had a short in mind that I may get back to sometime. Heres another creature I planned to have in it as well, Its based on something another artist (Jean "Moebius" Girard) I worked with did.

http://www.splinegod.com/personal/bug.jpg

Keiyentai
12-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Awesome critter man :D

leigh
12-07-2003, 10:15 PM
I wholeheartedly recommend Dan Ablans "Inside LightWave" books to anyone wanting to learn LW. Perhaps I am biased because I read his Inside LightWave 6 when I was learning LW, but I think they are awesome books, and since they cover all aspects of the program, it's probably the cheapest way of learning all the stuff you need to know initially.

Also be sure to check out sites like Flay (http://www.flay.com) and LightWave Tutorials on the Web (http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/) for tutorials, and be sure to use these forums as a resource too of course :)

Keiyentai
12-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Yes. I have Inside LightWave 7 and it's verry useful :D

SplineGod
12-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Keiyentai
Awesome critter man :D
Thanks Keiyentai. I had the priviledge of working with Moebius for a couple of years on Sonys Metreon center. He was cofounder of heavy metal magazine, concept artist on Tron and other projects. I have a bunch of his books and there was a picture of this massive insect like critter that I liked so I did this based on it. He really thought it was cool. The neat thing was he ended up buying Lightwave for himself. I think this bug came from one of his graphic novels based on his Airtight Garage series. :)

Keiyentai
12-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Awesome man. I met Moebius on Renderosity. He's really cool. I never knew he was the co-founder of Heavey Metal....:drool:

Insider
12-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Thanks much Leigh!

Inside LightWave 8 will be much improved too.

Also, if anyone is interested, be sure to check out Leigh's cool tutorials in the upcoming issue of Keyframe Magazine, along with a LightWave 8 preview.

shirudo
12-08-2003, 12:00 AM
I love the nausicaa universe and I think just about every aspect of it would translate well into CG and I'm sort of hoping to do all sorts of models from the toxic forrest to the I'm glad you mentioned splines since as far as I can tell that's probably the best way to model the nose of valley gunship as far as refrence materials for the nausicaa universe I havn't found a whole lot other than a fiew pictures however the comics are best sellers to this day and thusly still in print from Viz I believe you can buy them in perfect collection form for between twelve and sixteen dollars or pick up a box set for around fifty I used to own all of them but one of my siblings departed with them many years ago at any rate that's probably about the best refrence to be had

shirudo
12-08-2003, 02:29 PM
OK now I,ve modeled the controll bars and strap in a seperate layer (as suggested ) ,and now I need to scale it to the correct size , move it to the correct layer and attach it to the main body of my model. also a breif discription of the method used to set the flaps in in splinegods aricraft model above would be kind of helpful. although I'd kind of like the union in my model to apear a little more rounded. anyway I could use information about all this stuff. also is it just me or is the picture in the attachment above all blurred and messed up. it might not hurt me to learn a thing or two about image formating as well .I've already managed to resize it and move it to the correct layer but it isn't attached quite the way I would like. I've also switched to a lower poly count build thanks for the tip

SplineGod
12-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Hey shirudo,
I posted up an object in layers to show how you might do the flaps. The object is located HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/wingdetail.zip)
Layer 1 is the wing
Layer 2 and Layer 3 is the wing and the flap polys cut out and pasted into that next layer.
Layer 4 - I have picked points along the holes in the flap and wing and added polys there. I turned subpatches off to do this and then back on when I was done. With subpatches on youll notice gaps between the wings and flaps. This is due to the subpatched object only approximates the shape of the control surface.
Layer 5 Ive added some cuts around the flaps to tighten up the curvature and added cuts around the inside part of the wing where the flaps fit.

shirudo
12-09-2003, 11:44 PM
well that certainly helps alot thanks.
LW really is great software and it has a really great user comunity. it looked really hard when I first opened it up and although I still have about a million things to learn about it, it really seems like those bulb lighting revelations that make it seem easier are coming one after another. it really is pretty intuitive ,still not quite getting the manual though. thanks again splinegod your tutorials and posts have really helped me alot so far ,also I really liked leighs' texturing for dummies tutorial I haven't attempted to much so far but it really does explain the theory of surfacing well and the LW specific stuff really makes it easier to understand.

Facial Deluxe
12-10-2003, 08:43 AM
I haven't red all the 4 pages of this thread, but just wanted to point out that LW 7x manual was hard for beginner, it's more a reference guide.
The LW 6x manual was far more detailed, with a better learning curve. Too bad NT dropped this one....

SplineGod
12-10-2003, 08:57 AM
well that certainly helps alot thanks.
LW really is great software and it has a really great user comunity. it looked really hard when I first opened it up and although I still have about a million things to learn about it, it really seems like those bulb lighting revelations that make it seem easier are coming one after another. it really is pretty intuitive ,still not quite getting the manual though. thanks again splinegod your tutorials and posts have really helped me alot so far ,also I really liked leighs' texturing for dummies tutorial I haven't attempted to much so far but it really does explain the theory of surfacing well and the LW specific stuff really makes it easier to understand.
Hey, youre welcome! The nice thing is that you dont have to know every aspect to get something good going. The Mehve is looking pretty cool, nice work so far on it. The lower res version is a nice clean model. :)

tburbage3
12-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Depending on your point of view thats very true.
The manual as it stands is a pretty good reference but not great for tutorials. Its also already quite huge and mine destroys itself a little bit more each time I open it.
I also don't think tutorials are a good use of print space, but along the "quite huge" line --

I liked it better with the v6 doc set in terms of their being split into 2 books (well, 3 if you count the tutorials book which isn't really needed anymore given all of the tuts available on the web). Much easier to work with. However, note that the content of the v6 manuals was far inferior to that in v7.

Also, it would be nice if the screen shots/illustration graphics from the manual were made available on the CD or via download like some 3rd party books do. I remember as a beginner trying to grock the meaning of those gray-on-gray Modeler/Layout shots and not being able to see at all what they were supposed to help illustrate.

shirudo
12-11-2003, 03:30 AM
personally I've had alot of trouble understanding the tutorials as well as the manual .however as I get a grip on alot of the basic functions in LW I have a feeling tutorials will become easier to understand. although I do see what you mean and to tell you the truth so far I've learned more off these message boards in the past fiew days than I did in just over a week of reading new tecs own LW tutorials. still some of them seem to go over some pretty aplicable things if I can ever learn enough to do them .but even if I could get a grip , really I'd really rather make my own models using the same tools and priciples.speaking of which the revision my model is looking pretty darn good but I believe there's a small smoothing error at the base of the point on the wing

Insider
12-11-2003, 03:54 AM
Just take one step at a time. Learn one area, then move to the next and so on. Don't try to 'get it all' in one sitting. Perform one operation at a time, and go from there. Before you know it, you won't be thinking about what you're doing, but rather, just creating.

Tom Wood
12-11-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by tburbage3
Also, it would be nice if the screen shots/illustration graphics from the manual were made available on the CD or via download like some 3rd party books do.

http://www.newtek.com/freestuff/lwhelp/index.html

Right click and save picture as. The weird thing about this version of the manual is that there are sections here that don't show up in the index, or even in the paper manual. Do a search on 'sliders' and you get a nice little chapter at the top of the list that isn't referenced anywhere I can find. :shrug:

TW

skritter
12-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Tom Wood

Do a search on 'sliders' and you get a nice little chapter at the top of the list that isn't referenced anywhere I can find. :shrug:

TW

Didn't Look Very Hard

Content > Layout:General Functions: > Sliders

Tom Wood
12-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Dang it, hate it when that happens. I swear I went thru every one of those drop-downs looking for it. :cry:

TW

shirudo
12-11-2003, 09:19 PM
it's amazing how much time you can spend modeling and still not know the simplest of things for example how do you create a line between two points you've selected or ad a point to a line thats already there sorry for the stupid questions

Insider
12-11-2003, 09:28 PM
There's always something more to experiment with. As soon as you think you've got it - they throw a new version at you! Bastards! :)

I guess they're keeping us on our toes :)

SplineGod
12-12-2003, 07:58 AM
it's amazing how much time you can spend modeling and still not know the simplest of things for example how do you create a line between two points you've selected or ad a point to a line thats already there sorry for the stupid questions
The latest version of the mehve looks great! Keep at it. Id like to see some reference of it from the comic :)

shirudo
12-12-2003, 08:46 AM
other than the detail for the holsters the mehve is pretty much done(for now ) although I can't figure out why a smoothing error apears on one wing but not the other .at any rate I'm starting on the gunship which so far seems to be a much more complex model. this brings me to my latest round of inane questions ,for starters is there any way to transform a disk into a spline also how do you delete one line from an object ,or create a line that joins two seperate objects ? how do you add points to that line ?at any rate it could be possible that my basic aproach is incorrect (once again) I'll try and send a fiew refrences if it'll help with these questions .

SplineGod
12-12-2003, 09:03 AM
You can covert a disk into spline by selecting points on the disk and hitting ctrl p (make spline) or using something like the free plugin on DStorms site (poly2curve).
When you say you want to delete a line do you mean 2 point polys or an edge? It would be easier to answer that one if I had a better idea of what youre doing. :)

shirudo
12-12-2003, 10:43 AM
ok. here's the basic plan for the nose .start awith a front view and create two disks one above the other (the two main barrels)then create two smaller discs to the left and right of the devide. then create two larger discs (one encircling each of the main barrels )cut the edges join them together so it looks like an 8 with the barrels on the top and bottom. then conect the outside edge of the "8" with the two smaller circles, and then extrude everything except the two smaller circles forward. as I stated above this may not be the best way to go about it, but so far it's the best I can figure at any rate that's what I'm thinking of in terms of joining primatives.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.