PDA

View Full Version : Help: Ideal Video Library, Share Thoughts

NEIL1
10-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Hi all ~ Long time lurker. Searching through the board index I found some threads talking about different, preferred learning communities (including CGS's own, naturally).

I'm looking for some advice on which to go with for a full annual sub, from those who have used them.

Here's the list of what I've been looking at:
Eat3D.com
lynda.com
digitaltutors.com
cmiVFX.com
thegnomonworkshop.com
and naturally
CGSociety.org

Please share more than I haven't yet given a look. Can you share your experience with the different online resources you've used?

I want to get neck deep in Nuke and Houdini, and learn some texture / matte painting would be great.

I liked the look of cmiVFX's Houdini selection, seems like a lot of fun, but I thought their Nuke selection was somewhat limited. Texture / matte painting somewhat absent. what do you think is best? Better to just pick and buy by the video from each site? I would like to try a full year with one instead, and just sponge-brain their entire library. Bad idea?

Thanks for helping, cheers :beer:

Andrewty07
10-18-2012, 05:29 PM
You can't really go wrong with any of them so I would just pick the one with the most content related to what you want so whatever process you want to learn on your desired software package. Also make sure the classes are at a level you need as well some often have loads of beginner and introductory classes that can become redundant so it's nice to find more advance courses. I never subscribed to a service, I just pick up videos but mostly text books because I prefer learning that way.

Meloncov
10-19-2012, 02:01 AM
What level are you at currently? Digital tutors is great for beginners, and I believe has the highest raw number of videos, but their high-level content really isn't that great. Other places are the opposite; they're intended market is pros who want to pick up a few new tricks.

NEIL1
10-19-2012, 01:27 PM
#double post

NEIL1
10-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Thank you for responding.

Good things to know about digital tutors. I'm looking for intermediate to advanced workflows. Perhaps the only exception being Nuke. My compositing experience is with Shake, and I very very much need to make that transition :-X Thanks again~

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2012, 03:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.