PDA

View Full Version : NAS vs. Linux Server

bibi5000
10-17-2012, 09:31 AM
The Hardware setup of my small office consists of my Workstation, four old render servers an a small linux box (celeron, 2 gig RAM, 2x1 TB Server Discs Software Raid 1) connected via a gigabit switch. Recently, one of the two discs began to throw errors and I expect it to die soon.

While backing up my data I began looking into new HDs to replace the old ones when someone pointed out that it would be a good idea to replace the whole thing with a NAS (less power consumption, better management, etc.). My linux server was now running 24/7 for two years straight. It was taking it well, but I do not trust the desktop hardware in it for another two years.

Has someone experience with the Synology DS412+ (http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS412%2B&lang=enu) or even the smaller DS213+ (http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS213%2B&lang=enu) or similar products (QNAP seems to be ok)?

It would be interesting to hear if they offer good performance and reliability under heavy workload (long render sessions, compositing footage, etc.) and if it can be compared to my old linux server.

What types of NAS do you use and what are your experiences?

Srek
10-17-2012, 10:18 AM
We are making heavy use of a number of QNAP NAS for a couple of years now, with no negative experience at all.
They are fast and reliable.
Technically they are headless Linux systems, like most other NAS as well.

Cheers
Björn

olson
10-18-2012, 06:27 AM
If you get a commercial NAS chances are it will be running Linux anyway, just with a pretty looking web interface that has lots of limitations. To get good performance you'll pay a good premium for it in a commercial NAS. Personally I'd rather have a Linux machine but that's because I'm a Linux user.

There are lots of little annoying things (besides crap performance, my Lacie does about 25 MB/s) with commercial NAS products. For example I'm using a Lacie 5big Network 2 and if I use rsync to backup files and also backup permissions and the user it will jack up the share because the files become owned by an unknown user on the NAS and there's no way using Lacie's web interface to change file permissions (and the root user is inaccessible). The only way to fix it is erase the share completely and start over. :banghead:

A Linux machine built from components for the same cost as the Lacie could easily be four times faster and have a full Linux installation that doesn't have a locked down root account. Seems like a no brainer if you're okay working with Linux. That's my two cents. :thumbsup:

mofth
10-18-2012, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't go with a custom setup, unless you plan on upgrading at some point. The Synology and QNAP devices are quite good now, and the software is easy. Having the ability to customise is fun, but I've found that I end up doing waay too much research and tinkering, 'just because I can' - time that I could have spent doing other things. The non-custom products are often covered by warranties, are regularly updated and have great software. Best of all, those devices are designed by experts who know their products.

tswalk
10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
i just picked up one of these and have been impressed with it... rock solid product IMO and integrate well in my environment.

i wouldn't expect something liek this to become a 'render' server though.. i mean, you're seperating storage solution from production workhorse right? :D

http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_sentinel_dx4000_review

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.