PDA

View Full Version : Massive PROB: Textures never save...

blankslatejoe
12-05-2003, 05:21 AM
Ok, I'm just a beginner, I'll admit, but this doesn't seem to be addressed anywhere...

Why the heck won't my textures ever save when I apply them to surfaces in Layout? Each time I close and open the model it dumps back to either a: the model with the plain, non textured surfaces, or B: dumps it back to some...mysterious autosave that I must have triggered several hours of work earlier..but only with some surfaces in the scene, not even all of them.

I've tried saving the scene and saving the individual surfaces and reloading them in the editor... I've applyed them several different times, and sometimes it'll remember some adjustments, and sometimes it won't!

I'm getting a little frustrated.

:(

Anyone got any ideas? Or helpful links? Or encouragement?

I'm running LW 7.5 on a win 2000 machine, working out of a seperate directory(but same drive), if that matters.

Thanks guys!

m_luscombe
12-05-2003, 05:35 AM
Textures are saved in the model files, not the layout file.

Make sure to "Save all objects" from the file menu before closing the app.

If you have modeler open as well, you can save the model directly from there.

blankslatejoe
12-05-2003, 05:52 AM
Hah, tested it out really quick, It seeeems to work, I'll have to try a bit more extensively tommorrow.

Saving the textures with the model makes sense, but it's really a bizzarre workflow considering you have to use layout to view any sort of preview...
unless...
Is there a way to preview/test render an object in modeler?

(Thanks for the help, you've saved me!)

m_luscombe
12-05-2003, 06:18 AM
There's no way to test render in modeler, but your textures should show up in OpenGL if you set one of the windows to 'texture' rather than wireframe or smooth.

Good way to see what OpenGL textures might look like in a game setting.

The reason it's done this way is that the Model file may be used in many different layout files, and you'd want texture changes to propogate from the model to the animation.

eg. if you have a character in several different scenes, and you change the texture on his shirt, you would not want to have to go through every scene file and match up the texture on every one =)

blankslatejoe
12-05-2003, 06:40 AM
Yeah, it really makes sense now that I think about it, in retrospect.... thanks again, I really appreciate the help!!
-Joe

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.