PDA

View Full Version : Character: Forest Giant - WIP

ironikart
12-05-2003, 03:31 AM
I'm almost ready to start the texturing on this one so I'm hoping for any feedback on the mesh so far.

The concept is based on some faint childhood memories of the 'Thing' and I saw the hulk on video a few weeks back. I've got a few rough sketches, but nothing worth uploading.

Polycount is at 2216 tris and I'll be using a 1024x1024 texture map... unwrapping still to happen

Comments and Crits welcome

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ironikart/Forest_Giant_WIP.jpg

h0pesfall
12-05-2003, 04:29 AM
Nice clean mesh, nice design, looking forward to seeing it textured :)

Nazeil
12-05-2003, 04:07 PM
I really like the way you did the legs like those of a satyr. It's a refreshing change to the hulking legs that many giants seem to be portrayed with and it gives the sense that this giant might also be very nimble and swift. Look foward to seeing it textured.

JonasNoell
12-05-2003, 05:11 PM
Will definitely look great with a propper texture! I hope these polys on the arms are already reserved for tga foilage ;)
Keep us updated!

mv
12-05-2003, 08:39 PM
nice one. Stylish modelling, and polys seem well used.
looking forward for your texturing.

jacobt
12-06-2003, 11:07 PM
Nice work, reminds me a little of your darklord entry. Should make for some interesting textures, hope it's going well so far.

The poly on the back of the hand seems very large, looks like some could be chopped from the forearm or somewhere else and plugged into that section. Just seems a little flat, as do the fingers. I'm not sure what ou've got in mind for texturing tho so I could be wrong :D Another small suggestion, at the moment the middle of the face is much more rounded out than the silhouette of his jawline. May be good to move some polys there also.

Looking forward to the rest.

Prs-Phil
12-07-2003, 12:57 AM
stylish model but I can see one major fault on your model. You have alot of wrongley turned edges esspecially at the back of the leg.
Its not a big thing to turn them correctly :)
Keep us updated

TRyanD
12-07-2003, 10:10 AM
What do you mean by bad poly edges?

Is that whats causing the triangles to show?

Im still kinda new, and i wanna try to understand everything :P

Prs-Phil
12-07-2003, 11:20 AM
hmm
bad turned edges create an inconsitency in the surface. If you take a look at the back of his upper leg you can see it really clearly. Itīs and organic model and its got kinda folds in it and its should be a consitant surface ... also for vertexlighting.

Mormegil
12-07-2003, 12:17 PM
great model, love the design and ... well just great :)

ironikart
12-07-2003, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the response!

h0pesfall: Thanks, it shouldn't be too long before I texture it. I've finished most of the mapping and only have a couple more things to work out before I start.

Nazeil: I was hoping it would look a little different from the norm, thanks for the feedback :)

cANt: There will definitely be some foliage happening on the arms. I've been messing around with the head and back as well so his arms don't look so out of place.

m@. : Thanks!

jacobt: The concept was a little similar to my dark lord model (3 fingered, extended legs, noseless face). I recently got a graphics tablet so hopefully the texture on this one should be much improved over my last effort. I'll have to have a look at redistributing some of the polys, although in those areas you mentioned won't be subject to deformation... hopefully!

Prs-Phil: I can see the areas you've mentioned and I've tweaked the model slightly to remove the worst of it. I think that the screen captures might have exaggerated it a little because I had a faceted material with some specularity set.

Mormegil: Thanks mormegil! :D

TRyanD
12-08-2003, 01:30 AM
Oh hehe, forgot to say nice model :P

ironikart
12-10-2003, 04:23 AM
Haven't started texturing yet, but I've got the model unwrapped and most of the rigging complete. Here's a screen of the rig (still needs a few tweaks, expecially the controls on the legs and the arm skin deformation). I was going to fit controls for all the fingers, but since I figured the character wasn't really going to be doing anthing complicated with his hands so it's just a quick IK rig.

Let me know what you think so far?

http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ironikart/Forest_Giant_rig.jpg

twindragon
12-10-2003, 06:03 AM
Looking good all rigged up...its nice to see a model ready to jump off the screen...at the moment I am just practicing my modelling and as soon as I get better at that aspect i will start to tackle animation. Is there any good tutorials out there to help rig a model properly.

ironikart
12-10-2003, 09:01 PM
If you've got Max 5 the bundled tuts are pretty damn good. They're what I started with and I much prefer making my own rig than using character studio (with non-human characters)... it's more work, but you can make your own animation controls.

Prs-Phil
12-11-2003, 01:47 AM
man thats my major weekness, my bone rigs. Where can I get theese tuts from m8, I would kill to get em ;).
I REALLY need them ... you would help me alot
thx

ironikart
12-11-2003, 04:30 AM
All the online tuts are crap. If you've got the Max 5 CD, or a friend who has one you can grab the tuts from there. All versions of max come with IK tuts, but so far I think the Max 5 ones are the best.

Here's a quick shot of the texturing so far... I wasn't going for so many wrinkles in the concept, but once I start I just can't stop. I don't have a tablet on the PC I'm working at so I think I'll have to take this home to work on further... or else risk some hand cramps :P

As always, any comments and crits are welcome.
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ironikart/Forest_Giant_WIP2.jpg

h0pesfall
12-11-2003, 04:34 AM
Very awesome start. Love the eyes. Wrinkles are good, don't be afraid to put some ;) This guy would kick ass with bump mapping, are you gonna use any? Would work very well for a nice bark effect.

Phil, you're not the only one who has problems with rigging my friend, i have a hell of a time doing that too. We just started seeing it where I study and one class thought me alot more than any tut on the net. I think the best way is to get someone to teach it to you. I've never tried the 3dsmax5 ik tuts but if ironikart says they're good then they might :)

Mormegil
12-11-2003, 08:47 AM
yes the riging ... yyhh those vertexes never wont do deform the way the should ... and the tutorials don't give a thing ... I think that for deforming low poly models in max physique is quite good

but back to your model ... that’s a nice start ... but are you planning any nostrils ??

Prs-Phil
12-11-2003, 11:12 AM
thx m8, Iīve found out that a m8 has the cd :).

Nice start on the texture. well done wood

ironikart
12-12-2003, 03:38 AM
Another update on the texuring. I've come across a little stretching I have to fix, but nothing major.

http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ironikart/Forest_Giant_WIP3.jpg

DreiGrasheir
12-12-2003, 05:00 AM
very nice. might want to add some nostrils in there to break up the pattern some. also try some different widths of the lines of bark, maybe? the tex looks good, but such a small pattern on a huge character might not look right. keep it up.

h0pesfall
12-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Nice update. I'm liking how you simulate muscle anatomy with the direction your bark grows. Keep it up :)

m-d-freezer
12-13-2003, 12:05 AM
wow ...

impressive ...

Nice idea with that bark-skin.

But, where is the green?
More grass and moos, I think it would make it more older.

Keep working ...

Cazor
12-13-2003, 02:27 AM
That's looking really cool. Almost like an ent or something.

If you'e not using this for any project, i would love to use it in one of mine. If you could IM me on AIM, that would be great. I'm CazorFett.

JonasNoell
12-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Developing great!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.