PDA

View Full Version : Cane Toad - What Happened to Baz?

Leonard
12-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Hi all,

We're starting to ramp up CGFilms here. Our first short film that we're showcasing is "Cane Toad - What Happened to Baz?" by Andrew Silke and David Clayton. The film is downloadable for CGTalk members.

>> Watch Cane Toad here << (http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgfilms/cgfilm.php?story_id=1821)
>> Read the Making of Cane Toad here << (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=674)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2003_01/cane_toad/header1.jpg

Leo

markdc
12-05-2003, 12:14 AM
A very entertaining short! I saw it a siggraph earlier this year and it was great to see it again.

Danilo Buendia
12-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Nice work. It was great to see this at Siggraph this year.

Is it a CGNetwork exclusive? I noticed it's not even available on your site!

PixelShader
12-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Awesome. I believe it is CGNetworks exclusive, cuz it's not available anywhere else yet. Bravo on providing this for CGNetworks/CGTalk members! This site rocks!

Geoff

Hexodam
12-05-2003, 12:44 AM
yesss a download, finaly, a very slow download though and I kinda need sleep, but for this it can wait :D

great interview also, amazing driving force those guys have

PixelShader
12-05-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Hexodam
yesss a download, finaly, a very slow download though and I kinda need sleep, but for this it can wait :D

great interview also, amazing driving force those guys have

LOL, all the CGTalkers going to choke the bandwidth :) I was one of the first ones in, so the 12MB came down in a jiffy!

Geoff.

WhiteRabbitObj
12-05-2003, 12:52 AM
Considering how sloooowly it's loading, I imagine the servers are getting pounded right now! :D

Hexodam
12-05-2003, 12:52 AM
whatthe hell, its only 12mb? it feels more like 120mb :cry:

50% done

Gkaine
12-05-2003, 01:03 AM
wow that kicked ass nice work

Serial Killer
12-05-2003, 01:07 AM
I'm downloading it with Download acelerator as soon as I download it I;ll post my coments:thumbsup:

Hexodam
12-05-2003, 01:18 AM
finaly finished downloading

few things that stood out

Facial animation, that one is simply amazing, one of the best ones I have ever seen
Textures, amazing quality, realy adds to the feel, absolutely the right choice

one bad thing

The story, it realy starts well, the first scene is definetly my favorite because of the time spend on the end, the other two end too quickly. The end of the story is a big let down for me mostly because I didnt get the joke.

I give it4/5 :D

WhiteRabbitObj
12-05-2003, 01:24 AM
Egad, so gory! Those guts! Yikes! Can't imagine spending a couple weeks modeling and texturing that :D

Pretty cool overall though. Lots of nice and varied effects. As contrary to Hexodam, I found the facial animation a little bit lacking. Very expressive but the sync seems a little odd, esp the teeth don't seem to move quite enough. Maybe that's how Australians speak though, I dunno, I've heard the British barely move their jaw when they speak. Also, could be a compression/quicktime thing, I've run into lots of problems with movies and their sync being out of whack, but it seems like more of a slight animation problem.

Oh well, obviously it's very well recieved and suceeds overall. Congrats.

Starkz
12-05-2003, 02:24 AM
Awsome work guys!! great to see it finally online!

To those Americans who don't get the joke : The Cane Toad in northern Australia is a MAJOR problem. So much so that the locals have all sorts of ways of disposing of the threat. Thus the different way Baz gets crunched :)

will be interesting to see how this is received oversea's.
Either way its a fantastic short!

Cullen
12-05-2003, 02:32 AM
I am really impressed at how they are marketing this short. I have seen this title in zillions of festivles, awards, websites etc.

Well done guys.

drewantarctic
12-05-2003, 02:56 AM
seeing this at siggraph was definately a treat. loooove the gore, though sometimes i had no idea how you did it.
what i love most about this animation is the voice subtlety. the voice actor is soooo realistic and the animation matches it to a T.
one thing that bothers me, i still dont understand the ending. why is he dressed in a tutu in a gift shop? is he just trying to leave the country?

UnlikelyCorny
12-05-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Leonard
The film is downloadable for CGTalk members.

dowloadable? How?

I get a quicktime 'watch but definately do not download' window. I really need to get some sleep and it would be great if my computer would tell me in the morning that the clip was downloaded while I was dreaming of toads and stuff, but alas.... I do not see how......

verbal007
12-05-2003, 03:28 AM
In Arizona we had similar toads. I can't tell you how many times I've seen pancaked toads with 3.5 feet of trailed out in front of them. Nice to see that it's finally ready for download. I had been following it and we VERY pleased when it popped up @ the Animation Theater

Way to use/abuse 3D. :thumbsup:

Now to download it to fill in the memory gaps.

- Jeremy

PixelShader
12-05-2003, 03:41 AM
You can "save-as" once the film has finished downloading. :buttrock:

Really cool stuff!

Geoff

Starkz
12-05-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by drewantarctic

one thing that bothers me, i still dont understand the ending. why is he dressed in a tutu in a gift shop? is he just trying to leave the country?

nah, for some reason, some tourists who visit QueensLand like to take home a stuffed and laquered frog weraing a tutu as a gift.
go figure. :)

andrewsilke
12-05-2003, 06:05 AM
Hi everyone, here in Australia cane toads are a bit of a phenomenon, but i know that a lot of other people around the world don't know much about them so we put a small section on our site with some real life cane-toad info for anyone who's curious - they really are interesting little critters. You can have a quick read:

http://www.cane-toad.com/about_cane01.htm :p

The movie might make some more sense.
And thanks for the good honest feedback! It's always appreciated. Also a big thanks to Leonard and the cgnetworks team for hosting the movie for us and handling the bandwidth slug. It's really is fantastic to have the resources of this site and cgnetworks available for free.

cheers
Andrew

shoey
12-05-2003, 08:20 AM
great idea leo!

will you be showing more shorts, like chubb chubbs and cathedral etc?

sforsyth
12-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Cool, can't wait! I've been waiting for this for months now. Download is REALLY slow, but worth it already.

Beautiful work!

Hexodam
12-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Dead dried toads are stuffed and sold as humorous figurines including ballerinas, drag queens and Aussie yobbos.

this.... didnt even cross my mind, its too weird:beer:

avalon
12-05-2003, 09:25 AM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:
good

Ac0rN
12-05-2003, 09:31 AM
pretty cool short :)

ehmdjii
12-05-2003, 10:27 AM
yes! this has been on this years siggraph!
love it!

phoenix
12-05-2003, 11:58 AM
very stylish and impressive

Breinmeester
12-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Brilliant!

Is it going to tour? I would like to have it on our International Filmfestival for the Youth in Deventer, Holland.

mattmos
12-05-2003, 12:40 PM
AHH HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaha hehehe he... ahem.
Don't know why but this film really hit my sense of humour spot on. Love the gory stuff, and the snappy animation works brilliantly. The ending wasn't quite as strong as the rest o the piece, but overall excellent short.

Have a couple of tinnies on me!
:beer:

Icarus
12-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Ahh.... The fun times :)

I saw this early this year @ the AEAF in melbourne, i truly was amazed, its great to see aussie tallent out there and also with some great humor... Great work guys ! :bounce:

Pi3141
12-05-2003, 01:34 PM
This was the first time I have seen this. Amazing! The models, textures, animation, lighting wow.... and a definate thumbs up for the voice actors :applause:

Fantastic plot too, brilliant work guys :buttrock:

gsuttor
12-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Andrew, Dave. Well done fellas.

FINALLY you release it to the public . :thumbsup:
I gather this means the film festival circuit is over now?

For all non-aussies, the humour in this short is very local to Queensland Australia. These Toads where introduced and are one of the biggest disasters you could imagine. Any native animal that tries to eat one is killed by the highly toxic posion they have in glads on their back. And they breed like buggery.

It's not uncommon to see people smacking the hell out of them with a golf club, and if your driving along you do your bit to deplete the populations. :wip:

Anyway, brilliant short. Suberb execution. No wonder these guys are working at places like WETA.

Cheers,

Digital Backlot
12-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Very entertaining work here! I enjoyed it very much. The voice acting makes it all worth it.

while a large portion of CG talk is over 18, even still I'd put a disclaimer or rather, an audience rating like PG13 or something since you do have some "language" and graphic content.... not sure on the legalities of such a thing

jadedchron
12-05-2003, 06:25 PM
To be honest, I was expecting it to be rather lame. On the contrary, it is rather great. I love how the toad in the pool or w/e has cold-hard nipples .hehe.

digital_rhino
12-05-2003, 06:32 PM
That was F'n GREAT!:applause:

yavmax
12-05-2003, 08:43 PM
Great work guys, really enjoyed the short and the nasty bits were really refreshing to see...you dont get stuff like that in animations very often. Great character work, beautiful textures, sets, camera, lighting and animation. The one thing that I didnt like so much was the lip-sync. I think that needs some more work, but appart from that...perfect!

urgaffel
12-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Saw this at the 3dfestival and I'm really glad I get to see it again. Although the download is crawling along at 4kb/s... Oh well, it's definitely worth it. Great job Andrew and Dave.

When do we get to see the next short? :)

inferno_angle
12-06-2003, 05:37 AM
wow~~~ i like it~

but where i can download it?and when you can finish it~

JDaniel
12-06-2003, 06:37 AM
I love it! Hilarious. :thumbsup:

Obaid3DFX
12-06-2003, 09:17 AM
indeed very nice shotfilm :bounce:

adem
12-06-2003, 11:25 AM
If you are from Australia, or even better the state of queensland... you would think that is a great ending. After seeing stuffed toads in every gift store you go into since you were a kid... you would really get that ending. But if havent grown up there I could see how you wouldnt find the film all that funny. I grew up in brisbane and find the film to be one of the funniest animations I have ever seen.

darkwave
12-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Oh man, been waiting to see this for ages. Had the trailer for almost a year now I'm sure. Great animation, everything looked so good, especially the facial animation. The story was great, but I think I was expecting a bit more. Great work though. And the CG Film section is a good idea too. :thumbsup:

elnady
12-06-2003, 06:16 PM
This one is the best short i have seen from a long time Nice work
But is there is chance to make a long one?
Anyway it's great:beer:

karabo
12-06-2003, 08:38 PM
good god! That was totally great. That was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. This should get all kinds of awards. Great work.

Abe
12-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Ive been waiting for one and a half hours still got three megs to go:) .What I have managed to watch so far I have to say is fantastic.I put you two blokes up to the top along with Jason Crump and Jason Lyons ,the best Australian speedway riders in the world .

XYZRGB
12-07-2003, 02:35 AM
Ouch ! :hmm:
Nice textures.
I especially like the foliage, secondary movement etc.

milkyman
12-07-2003, 12:15 PM
keep the shorts comming. i can host them even perhaps. i have a 10mb connection and a server running free BSD.

regards

KotsVlok
12-07-2003, 02:58 PM
omg the gore!!..Haha fantastic! :D

VerticalVertex
12-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Just love it.

testoxx
12-08-2003, 10:36 AM
:/ I don't understand ! I try to downlaod it but it doesn't work at all ! When I click on the link I need to login on the page CGNetwork Media Player, after that it says I'm logged in and it redirect me on the same page, but no download begins ! Am'I the only one to have this problem ?

hokama
12-22-2003, 03:39 AM
Cool short!!
:applause:
It seems to be a little bit gross for kids but...most of the people here are above 15, right?

jennifer1013
06-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Just came accross this thread and download. Great stuff! The humor and story work perfectly. And the textures are amazing!

agreenster
06-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Wow. This is a revived thread!

Makin' the rounds, Jen? You'll find lots of good stuff here at 'ol CGTalk...

:D

Dejavont
06-17-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Hexodam
The end of the story is a big let down for me mostly because I didnt get the joke.

I give it4/5 :D

You can buy stuffed cane-toads in tourist shops. They are dressed up as Crocodile Dundee, Steve Irwin, Akubra Hats replete with corks-on-strings, Ballerinas... Taxidermists freeze the toads until they die [painlessly], pose them, spray-lacquer them with epoxy resin, dress them up and sell them to international tourists.

http://www.univenter.com/images/order_toadwithalcohol_p.jpg

As another random fact, the skin of the cane-toad is highly toxic. When attacked, they squirt this toxin from glands - if it gets in your eye it'll blind you. Its why there're in plague proportions - anything that eats them dies. So what? Well, some people have been known to dry the skin and smoke it.

Its a powerful hallucinogen.

Michael.

Beanie
08-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Am I the only one who can't seem to be able to download it? :sad: I get this message up saying I can't download the file... Is there anywhere else I can download it? Because when I watch it online, it keeps skipping and stuff, it's so annoying... :rolleyes:

jennifer1013
08-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Am I the only one who can't seem to be able to download it? :sad: I get this message up saying I can't download the file... Is there anywhere else I can download it? Because when I watch it online, it keeps skipping and stuff, it's so annoying... :rolleyes:
Maybe you don't have the right compressor installed into your media player? But that would only explain the incapability to play the file - not the trouble with the download part itself. Weird! :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.