PDA

View Full Version : Blender for stereo 3D?

redbellpeppers
10-14-2012, 03:44 AM
In the next year I'm plan on starting down a path for stereo 3D production.

I'm gonna start saving for a full version of Premiere (or some other video editor that can do stereo 3D), a 3D camera, and disc burner. So as you can see, I have a long path ahead.

Now, my 3D background is mostly Truespace and Solidworks. I've tinkered with Blender in the past, and had every intention of giving it a stronger look post 2.5

But I now have a purpose: stereo 3D. Not just the red/blue stuff, but I'm going for 3D blu ray suff (already have the TV and 3D Blu Ray).

Now, I know Truespace and have created stereo content on it- but it's dead and isn't near as feature developed as Blender. So it seems to me that I may end up learning a new proggie. So here's the question: is Blender friendly for creating stereo 3D images?

In Truespace, I can have 2 cameras side-by-side, but will Blender allow me to do that? I tried it a few years ago in Blender, and it would only let me render, move the camera, and render again. These days, is it better than that to achieve?

CorsairX
10-14-2012, 09:38 AM
I don't believe there's any built in support but someone put together a fairly sophisticated script a while back that could be worth looking into - from memory it could produced both interlaced and anaglyphs.

Edit: And, somewhat more usefully, here it is: http://www.noeol.de/s3d/ - recently upgraded for 2.6 too!

I can't speak for it's ease of use (I've not used the add-on myself) but it's worth looking into.

DanielWray
10-16-2012, 12:28 PM
A few years back I worked for a studio who specialized in stereoscopic content and I managed to put together a short animation entirely in Blender which was rendered from two cameras with DoF working, and compositing effects too.

This worked very nicely, and it looked great on a stereoscopic projection system.

There may be a few quirks that you need to work out here, and there. But that is like any production environment.

EDIT: P.s. you'll need to figure out a production method of working with stereoscopic video. If it is possible to separate the two video streams then you can do your post-production from one video stream. And if you set-up up your Blender cameras to match exactly the set-up of your stereo camcorder then, in theory, you should be able to render out two sets of images from Blender and then composite them with both sets of video streams to achieve a seamless stereoscopic effect with your effects.

redbellpeppers
10-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Thank you both for the info.

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2012, 01:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.