PDA

View Full Version : Unit scale in various packages

sqitso
12-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Ho all. I was just curious if unit scale was a standard and did not change from package to package? I mean if I created an object in Lightwave a certain inche size, and created another object in maya a certain inche size, then exported both to 3D Max, would they both maintain thier relevent size to each other?

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the run on :)

yog
12-04-2003, 10:35 PM
Unlikely :surprised

The Lightwave and Maya models may scale the same in each others programs, but MAX is a cast iron b**** when it comes to scale conversions.

It's the major problem I have getting models into MAX. The problem is that it has it's own internal system unit setting which can be changed :argh: This means that if the system unit in MAX is not the same as it was when the model was created MAX will try and resize it.
And as MAX isn't as good as most other programs at dealling with scenes that have very large objects and very small objects at the same time, this system unit setting will occasionally need to be changed.

Sorry, but this is one of my pet hates about using MAX :argh: :banghead:

CIM
12-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by sqitso
Ho all. I was just curious if unit scale was a standard and did not change from package to package? I mean if I created an object in Lightwave a certain inche size, and created another object in maya a certain inche size, then exported both to 3D Max, would they both maintain thier relevent size to each other?

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the run on :)

Doubt it.

LNT
12-04-2003, 11:20 PM
from the packages I've seen do far lw's size system is the one I like the most

it fully supports the real life both SI and english measurements,the grid size is given in the same measurements and what's more the grid is infinitely adaptive

in that department nothing beats lw...I mean the modeler's grid,layout is just as stiff as the rest of them if not even stiffer :)

tonyg
12-05-2003, 02:20 PM
What LNT said. It is wierd that this has never been standardized at all. I find conversion to / from MAX the worst by far. Wouldn;t some stards be neat in this industry? Wataya think, another hundred years?

sqitso
12-05-2003, 02:24 PM
My biggest problem is that I love the modeling tools in Lightwave, yet that is all I can do in it for game content. I model an item in LW and have to export to OBJ for import to Maya. Then I run some more tools and plug ins there, where I have to export again and bring it into Max. At this point my original scaling is screwed. I change the units set up back to inches, but it is still off. It's strange. It's almost like after several exports the exact size is lost and the tools just start guess. So frustration.

I could rule out lightwave and start in Maya, but that would just be silly :p

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.