PDA

View Full Version : 3dappX to MotnBldr to RIB renderer... possible?

Gendou
12-04-2003, 08:30 PM
i wasn't quite sure which forum to post this particular question because the 3d app where the models are made is irrelevant but it involves both animation and rendering.
what i am wanting to know is, if i were to make a scene within 3dappX and export it to a motionbuilder-compliant format (obj?)(not fbx as my current apps don't have it) do my rigging and animation and export to fbx.. then use another app such as okino polytrans to convert the scene to RIB format for applying of materials and rendering in a renderman compliant renderer.

i know this seems like a long way around, but i like the modeling apps i use, and i want to use motionbuilder to handle the animation then render in a RIB renderer. i want to know if this is possible.
does motionbuilder export any formats besides .fbx, such as .rib? (i don't have it installed at the moment so i can't check myself)
i'm not sure of the rendering capabilities of MB but i'd prefer to use a rib renderer so i can learn about shaders while doing it.

any tips, links, info, or suggestions would be helpful.

thanks,

aaron

crgowo
12-05-2003, 05:09 PM
you can use maxman i think its called. Its i comercial plugin form animal logic
http://www.animallogic.com/research/maxman/
it exports rib from 3dmax. so instead of MB exporting to rib you import your animation back in to max then export rib. dont know of any free plugins... dont use max.

Gendou
12-05-2003, 06:23 PM
thanks for the tip. the apps i'm using at the moment don't export to fbx and i'm not using any of the major 3d app (max, maya, xsi, lw) outside of cinema 4d. i do modeling in c4d, silo, jpatch and a little wings3d. i want to import say, my entire scene as obj files, animate everything in the scene in MB, export to rib then apply shaders in the final stage before rendering.
i don't have the money for the major 3d apps and i wanted to know if there's a way to use motionbuilder and rib rendering in my workflow.

thanks,

aaron

crgowo
12-05-2003, 07:31 PM
theres a rib export for c4d and silo but not for MB that i know of. Still the c4d doesnt support animation "yet" and you would have to upgrade to c4d 8.5 anyhow. sorry i couldnt be any more help.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.