PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Soccer Trailer 2

kilikili
12-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Anyone heard of the movie 'Shaolin Soccer'?

I don't know if this is old or not, or even when it's coming out. I heard friends tell me about how the trailer's have been out, yet this is the first I've seen.

For those who have not seen it yet, check it out. Looks like a fun flick. I linked to the second trailer.

More >>> (http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/shaolin_soccer/viewingpage.html)

-Kilikili

AJ
12-04-2003, 07:34 PM
It's a couple of years old now.

However from what I gather it's not getting a proper western distribution until next year. Saying that, you can always get an imported DVD with subtitles... It's definitely worth watching!

:)

kemijo
12-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Shaolin Soccer is a great flick, I love it.

I would recommend getting the chinese release on DVD, as I have heard that the western version may be changed in many ways, for the worse of course...awhile ago I heard is that they were going to change the name to "Kung Fu Soccer" which is nowhere near as nice sounding, and they would change the amazing intro song to the lame, overplayed song, "Kung Fu Fighting"...blech. This may not be the case anymore though.

The subtitled one has a very humourous translation (whether intended or not...it is a comedy)...I think it is very enjoyable the way it is. A retranslation would ruin part of it for me.

Spankspeople
12-04-2003, 08:08 PM
They dubbed Shaolin Soccer, changed the soundtrack and cut it to make it into Kung-Fu soccer, but it did so horribly with screening audiences that they went back and are releasing what I believe to be the original movie subtitled with, maybe, a couple of scenes cut, but nothing major. That's why it wasn't released last year like it was supposed to be...

Keddy
12-04-2003, 08:24 PM
Stephen Chow's ROCK :buttrock:

PhilWesson
12-04-2003, 08:27 PM
one of my favorites. i nearly cried during the egg scenes

Neil
12-04-2003, 08:41 PM
the US needs to get it's ass in gear, 2 is already coming out?

I guess i'm just gonna crack down and buy import.

moovieboy
12-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Finally saw this on a subtitled VCD and this was one of the best cinema experiences in a while. It was nutty and exciting and funny and so brave at just being in their own crazy world that it infected everyone in the room... didn't even mind the Japanese girls as "Jamaicans" part :D

I don't know what would be worse, editing/changing the crap out of this for American audiences or deciding to just remake the whole thing with Jet Li and Colin Ferrel.

Okay, scratch that... I DO know what would be worse! :D

-Tom

Per-Anders
12-04-2003, 10:14 PM
i hope they don't edit out too much... and i'll just try to forget those mental images moovieboy.

P_T
12-04-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Neil
the US needs to get it's ass in gear, 2 is already coming out?

nah i don't think that's a sequel...

man that dubbing sux big time... if they want to release a foreign movie, they should just leave it as is, if they think the movie won't suit the audience without reworking it then don't release it.

GRMac13
12-05-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by P_T
man that dubbing sux big time... if they want to release a foreign movie, they should just leave it as is, if they think the movie won't suit the audience without reworking it then don't release it.

I dunno, to be honest the dubbing didn't bother me much in the trailer. I saw the original release (subtitled) on an import DVD a few months ago. It was definitely one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while, they had some of the most fantastic sight gags. However, the subtitles were HORRIBLE! It seemed as though it was translated by someone who was just learning English. Plus, verbal comedy rarely works well with subtitles (especially with the broken English). Some of the jokes are completely lost in translation anyway, so a dub would only add some verbal humor to the already kick-ass visual stuff in the film. Even if the dub doesn't add anything to the film, it'll allow the audience to focus on the visuals instead of being constantly distracted by text, and in this film the visuals are the most important part anyway. I wont see it in the theater, but I'll probably buy the dubbed version of the DVD.

Myce
12-05-2003, 06:23 AM
oh wow shaolin soccer was such a great movie, just pure entertainment and good laughs...cant believe its taken so long for it to be released in the west.

There was an upheaval when it was released, something about it being a mockery to soccer an shaolin and that it was gona give soccer a bad name and blah blah blah....

cant wait for it to be released over here in little nz( it seems we always get things released last):cry:

SheepFactory
12-05-2003, 07:24 AM
thing is here in states nobody gives a shit about soccer. i own the movie on dvd for a while and its a good movie but i dont see the market for the movie here.

now if it was Shaolin NFL that would be a different..:)

freeDNA
12-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by moovieboy
Finally saw this on a subtitled VCD and this was one of the best cinema experiences in a while. It was nutty and exciting and funny and so brave at just being in their own crazy world that it infected everyone in the room... didn't even mind the Japanese girls as "Jamaicans" part :D

-Tom

Tom, for your information, there's no Japanese girls in Shaolin Soccer. The "Jamaican" hair-styled girl is Cecilia Cheung. She was very beautiful then, but now she's become ...

Neil
12-05-2003, 12:26 PM
haha, well with the directions we're going here with sports it might also do better as Shaolin Nascar :rolleyes:

ambient-whisper
12-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
thing is here in states nobody gives a shit about soccer. i own the movie on dvd for a while and its a good movie but i dont see the market for the movie here.

now if it was Shaolin NFL that would be a different..:)

heh yeah. americans and their boring sports. NFL, baseball.... Nascar ( going in circles for hours. who comes up with these ) boooring..

moovieboy
12-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by freeDNA
Tom, for your information, there's no Japanese girls in Shaolin Soccer. The "Jamaican" hair-styled girl is Cecilia Cheung. She was very beautiful then, but now she's become ...

Thanks for the correction! :thumbsup:

-Tom

katakana
12-06-2003, 07:03 AM
This was one of the Funniest movies evar, I saw it last year, its been on dvd for quite some time in Japan. I personaly don't care for soccar, but the movie is not about soccar per se. In short, import the dvd from china, i think it can be found for less then $20usd and its soo worth it.

kilikili
12-06-2003, 02:15 PM
In short, import the dvd from china, i think it can be found for less then $20usd and its soo worth it. [/B]

I went ahead and bought a regionless DVD on Ebay for about 10 dollars shipped from Canada. It's an authentic DVD imported from overseas with english subtitles. Also floating around there is a widescreen/boxed/collectible version.

-Kilikili

t-man152
12-06-2003, 08:13 PM
I saw this movie a year ago in france when they had a film festival and movie ticket prices were 3 euros. I got jiped out of 3 euros. not only did I lose my time by watching this movie but I lost 3 euros. the reason I didnt walk out was because I was saying to myself a good part is about to come a good part is about to come. and then the movie was over. no good parts, no funny part unless you think that someone being madly in love with a wart infested person is funny.

to whoever made this movie please give me my money back for you already stole something you can never give me back: an hour and a half of my life and my dignity.

and also please never make a movie again stick to something you know such as garbage man because all you can make is trash.

and for some reason it seems that im the only person in existense who did not like this movie

AJ
12-06-2003, 08:21 PM
t-man152, you are aware that you're typing out loud?

t-man152
12-06-2003, 08:34 PM
yeah this was the movie I liked the least out of every movie I have ever seen. its the only movie where I actually asked the manager of the movie theather to give me back my money. and ive seen some pretty bad movies but this one it seems just stuck in my mind as being the worst movie ever

RobW720
12-06-2003, 10:47 PM
Ive had the movie for a few years... damn entertaining flick.

If you like this you should check out other flicks by the same guy like god of cookery... think Iron chef with martial artists... its delicious.

seantree
12-07-2003, 12:23 AM
yup SS is great. i've also had the HK DVD for some time now. man, i've watched this movie sooo many times and still get a kick out of it. I honestly don't see how anyone could dislike it. SS and Spy kids 3-d have been the most "fun" movies i have seen in a looong time. I guess some people take it too seriously?

t-man152
12-07-2003, 12:29 AM
ill go and see it again by getting someone else to pay for it because I can not find one person who has disliked this film. I remember how badly I hated this movie and it seems that no one but me hates this. and I normally have good jugement about movies. maybe something was bugging me that day and it blocked me from enjoying the movie. I don't know. all I know is that right now its staying in my memory as the worst movie I have seen so far.

ambient-whisper
12-07-2003, 01:24 AM
with a guy that has a homer simpson avatar its weird you didnt enjoy this movie :)

FUG1T1VE
12-07-2003, 02:53 AM
the movie was funny some cool effects as well. Tito did an interview on it last year http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=216&page=

Arrucard
12-07-2003, 10:24 AM
looks interresting :D

eliseu gouveia
07-29-2004, 03:17 AM
I canīt believe Iīm crying.

Gawd, I canīt even recall the last time I cried in a movie.
And yet here I am, tears dripping across my face like twin salt water springs.
I donīt know whether I should worry about the way my stomach is killing me from all that laughing or about my neighbours who should have declared that-weird-guy-who-never-goes-out clinically insane by now, after hearing me laughing like this at 3:30 a.m. .
GEEZ, I knew chinese humour was wacky but I had never been exposed to such a flood, some of the stuff youīll see here is to die for.

If you havenīt seen this movie, then I can officially say that you are committing a crime against the 7th Art.
Go see it. NOW.
Borrow, steal, kill, but SEE this film, itīs most likely the most hillarious things youīll see this decade.
Too bad the english subtitles were so awfull, reading through them was almost like decyphering the rosetta stone.
But it was well worth it.

Gawd, what a wacky week; From the SFX pixelfiesta of The Returner to the haunting abyss of Dark Water and now back up again with Shaolin Soccer, itīs starting to feel like a giant roller coaster... and I havenīt even seen the Ringu and Gen X Cops DVDs whose covers sit there, staring at me from the side of my monitor.
Asian cinema....

Why did it take me SO long to discover it?

twilight
07-29-2004, 04:18 AM
I remember when i first came across this movie, last year during vacation in Italy. I didn't watch it there, although i really wanted to, but i can only imagine what would that be like, watching an asian movie subtitled or dubbed in italian! Ehhehehe, it's hard enough in english...

Anyway, as soon as i got back home i've found the dvd on a store and bought it without thinking twice. Amazing movie, a real master piece!

I wish the portuguese team could learn some of those moves.

:surprised

LoTekK
07-29-2004, 04:50 AM
Y'all should really try and catch Steven Chow's other movies. They're ALL crazy like that. God of Cookery was already mentioned (bloody hilarious), God of Gamblers (a comedic take on the fantastic Chow Yuen Fatt movie), Fight Back to School (1 & 2), etc. He also seems to like to cast Karen Mok as the ugly duckling a lot. Come to think of it, a lot of HK movies seem to cast her in that role. I like her. She's cool. :p

Larry_g1s
07-29-2004, 06:31 AM
one of my favorites. i nearly cried during the egg scenesThat scene was too freakin' funny! lol
Very funny movie.

Y'all should really try and catch Steven Chow's other movies. They're ALL crazy like that. God of Cookery was already mentioned (bloody hilarious), God of Gamblers (a comedic take on the fantastic Chow Yuen Fatt movie), Fight Back to School (1 & 2), etc. He also seems to like to cast Karen Mok as the ugly duckling a lot. Come to think of it, a lot of HK movies seem to cast her in that role. I like her. She's cool. :p
I think the main character in the movie (Shaolin Soccer) is Vicki Zhao. Very pretty. That is, unless you're talking about someone else.

fooweng
07-29-2004, 11:07 AM
the link can't work... -.-

ermmm, shao lin sooceer 2?? never here b4, but the first episod was "gay" i watch that fo 4 time... I think wahahah

LoTekK
07-29-2004, 01:41 PM
I think the main character in the movie (Shaolin Soccer) is Vicki Zhao. Very pretty. That is, unless you're talking about someone else.
Zhao Wei is very pretty. So is Karen Mok (she played the steamed bun girl). For whatever reason, though, she pulls off the ugly duckling roles (and she gets a lot of them) with exceeding charm. :)

My_Fault
07-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Yeah, what an absolutely blast of a film. So crazy but very sincere. And wow everyone is right in saying that this had to be one of the worst subbed movies of all time. Iin a way it just added to the craziness and made it more fun instead of ruining it like you would think. Two thumbs and a pinkie toe up! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.