PDA

View Full Version : Who uses autokey?

geoff3dnz
12-04-2003, 07:38 PM
Just wondering ;)

hrgiger
12-04-2003, 07:46 PM
about half the time. Sometimes, it's a real timesaver.

xtrm3d
12-04-2003, 07:46 PM
all the time .. just a matter of habitude :shrug:

geoff3dnz
12-04-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
about half the time. Sometimes, it's a real timesaver. Yeah, I should have put a third option: "Sometimes - it depends on what I'm animating"... Mods, are you able to add this? :)

Para
12-04-2003, 07:50 PM
I do since it's automagically on and I'm too lazy to turn it off :)

HowardM
12-04-2003, 07:52 PM
oyyy, I think theres already been a post/poll!?

Being ancient I dont use it. But the new character animator types will say its great.
I can see how, when moving all those poses you dont want to hit enter repeatedly.
But for motion graphics, I think its better to finalize your movements by manually creating a key.

Its too damn easy to be moving something and accidently select a different object, camera whatever, and totally screw yourself!

With multiple undos in 8, perhaps I will start to use autokey.
hmm wonder how well thats going to work?

ngrava
12-04-2003, 08:23 PM
I used to hate it because if you made a change, you where screwed. But ever since I remapped my undo and redo to the standard <ctrl> Z, I've been using it ever since. I've found that I actually make less mistakes now because whatever I move gets keyed. In the past, I would often forget to key something and mess things up.

-=GB=-

JoshD
12-04-2003, 08:37 PM
I only sometimes use it. If I am animating I will. If I am just arranging everything in a scene then I don't.

Dreamwave
12-04-2003, 08:40 PM
most of the time I do...

Rei Ayanami
12-04-2003, 08:45 PM
i dont use the autokey after it didnt work for me on 5.5 (that was supposed to have it right) so i just got used to hitting enter all the time..

i use it now, but i still make keys manually all the time too!

telamon
12-04-2003, 08:49 PM
Autokey is on. But for some unknown reason, everytime I make a modification I hit Enter :blush:

Therefore I use and don't use autokey :D

proton
12-04-2003, 09:46 PM
with the all new unlimited undo in Layout...I leave it on :)

LittleFenris
12-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by proton
with the all new unlimited undo in Layout...

Welcome to the 90's Newtek! ;)

proton
12-04-2003, 10:43 PM
are we in the 90's already....cool I get to party like it's 1999 :bounce:

robinson
12-05-2003, 12:09 AM
Same over here telamon, I always hit enter anyway ! :rolleyes:

Hey, the 80ís where great, lets just stay there Newtek (80ís revival) :blush:

T4D
12-05-2003, 06:27 AM
if doing character animation i have it off and hit enter to create a key, but if doing layout animation basic stuffm eg cars moving etc
i have it on with linear on as well then edit on graph editor :)

but looking forward to Lw 8 proton leaving it on would be cool :thumbsup:
I'll just sit here waiting for that download link .........................:cry:

Facial Deluxe
12-05-2003, 06:35 AM
Always "on". A matter of habit as well. "Auto Key Create : Modified Channel" activated too.

If I do a mistake, it isn't a problem to edit the spline through Graph Editor.....

kevman3d
12-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Facial Deluxe
Always "on". A matter of habit as well. "Auto Key Create : Modified Channel" activated too.

If I do a mistake, it isn't a problem to edit the spline through Graph Editor.....

Yup - Ditto for me - I get annoyed when someone uses my machine and turns it off! :)

Plus it means stuff like reference-item controlled textures update in realtime, amongst other things in LW (motion modifiers, etc) that need keyframe data to do their job...

pixelranger
12-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Always "on" for me too.

kretin
12-05-2003, 09:18 AM
Always on. I can't imagine working any other way. Hitting enter twice for every keyframe? man my finger hurts just thinking about it :p

I feel like having it off is the software second guessing me.... I move the item then Layout asks "you sure?" I so don't have time for that...

Chagidiel
12-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Never use it.

It confuses me and can end up in horrible undoable mistakes.

When I read in a tutorial once that it is (by the author) referred to as "Auto Destroy" I felt I had found a soulmate :D

CourtJester
12-05-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Chagidiel
Never use it.

It confuses me and can end up in horrible undoable mistakes.

When I read in a tutorial once that it is (by the author) referred to as "Auto Destroy" I felt I had found a soulmate :D

Yep. I first heard the "Auto Scene Destroy" quip from Terrence Walker and thought the same thing.

Having Auto Key off makes it easier to grab something and move it somewhere just to check something (like the camera) without having to stop and delete the key you just made. And it isn't just the creation of excess keys, it's buggering up an existing one too.

NanoGator
12-05-2003, 06:07 PM
I have autokey on, but I also do most of my stuff through sliders. Simplifies the whole "ack i moved something!' panick attack.

Halsu
12-09-2003, 05:40 PM
on.

Gwot
12-09-2003, 06:48 PM
I don't use it in LW - only 1 undo with auto key on is just asking for trouble. Don't use it in MB either because I just love doing pose to pose work and either keying the whole body with one click, or by body parts or individual, depending on the need. I used autokey all the time in Max. Different workflows for different apps I guess. I've just got used to scrubbing the time slider as a sort of erase tool.

Halsu
12-10-2003, 08:39 AM
I very rarely use even that one undo - if i accidently make a key i don't want, i just delete it...

I guess it's a matter of preference - i've used autokey right from the start, i recall 4.0 days...

Facial Deluxe
12-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Halsu
I very rarely use even that one undo - if i accidently make a key i don't want, i just delete it...

I second that. One undo, is one step mistake, I can't imagine going back 40 wrong keyframes... I just whish the undo take in account the numerical input.
But we're getting off topic :)

Halsu
12-10-2003, 11:34 AM
[alt+backspace] undoes the requester typo thing... as long as you haven't pressed enter.

*edit*

If you HAVE pressed enter in the numeric, the regular undo works...

And yes, this works already, in 7.5 (and probably earlier... ;-)

tburbage3
12-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Are we distinguishing here between "Auto Key" (the button on the Layout UI) and the "Auto Key Create" option?

I always leave "Auto Key" enabled, but have "Auto Key Create" set to not automatically create new keys -- only update existing ones. If "Auto Key" is disabled, some preview ops don't update during scene play (such as expressions (I think? not at my LW machine) and others).

It might be a nice feature if you were able to specify that you want to handle keying of transformation channels for frame 0 differently from the othrer to protect the basic scene setup -- or maybe even divide the key handling settings in general between transformation channels and all others.

Remi
12-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Off for me:)

Insider
12-11-2003, 05:53 AM
I always leave it off, unless setting up character animation. With character animation, it's like pose and go - no issues. All other animations, it sort of screws me up.

Although, using it on certain projects without "modified channels" active is helpful at times.

Badllarma
12-11-2003, 06:14 AM
Always off :thumbsup:

Facial Deluxe
12-11-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Halsu
[alt+backspace] undoes the requester typo thing... as long as you haven't pressed enter.

*edit*

If you HAVE pressed enter in the numeric, the regular undo works...

And yes, this works already, in 7.5 (and probably earlier... ;-)
???
If I enter a numerical value in one of the 3 field (x,y,z or h,p,b) and press enter, and press Undo, I have that red message at the bottom of page saying "can't undo".
Does this work for you ?

Halsu
12-11-2003, 09:40 AM
Uh, my mistake. I remembered wrong, sorry. Shouldn't hve posted witout actually testing it ;-)

Facial Deluxe
12-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Alright, thought I was getting mad ;)

Pazur
12-11-2003, 10:56 AM
used to keep it off, now it's on all the time. i also set left button select to off and do all selections with middle mouse button. this way i won't move something accidentaly when i actually meant to select an item. auto key create always off.

Halsu
12-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Mmm... i guess i should elaborate a little on my "on".

So, it's

AutoKey = Always on
AutokeyCreate = Always on (Modified channels)

pnevai
12-11-2003, 06:11 PM
I turn off autokey and manually create the keys. When using multi-layared objects with parented objects in a complex scene it is just too easy to have one thing completely screw things up. I mean sure you can go in an delete the key. But in a scene with 60 or 80 parented lights in multi layered objects needing to move precisely. Finding that one key that is screwing things up can take a life time! It only has to happen once! And after you spend 3 or 4 hours painstakingly going through each and every motion channel of each and every object is a scene with say 100 or so object or lights. You not only turn that sucker off, you edit your layout menu so you can never even by accident acitvate it.
:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.