PDA

View Full Version : CGChallenge XXVII: TEN Support Forum

MikeHepburn
10-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Welcome to the CGChallenge XXVII: TEN Support Thread.

Please read the FAQ (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/faq#jumpto), Terms & Conditions (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/terms_and_conditions#jumpto) and other posts in this thread before asking a question.

Have fun and good luck.

Nazirull
10-11-2012, 06:44 AM
OMG first!

So gonna join this. Thanks CGS!

Bran
10-11-2012, 07:23 AM
second!

gonna join this too!

Tamagoo
10-11-2012, 09:25 AM
yey, for sure.

mic
10-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Good luck to everyone!

AbsorbentGhost
10-11-2012, 11:57 AM
this is awesome,forget the fx wars i'm in on this one.

MoutMout
10-11-2012, 01:48 PM
I thought it would never happen again !
I'm Sooooo in ! :)

KMcNamara
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Was just wishing yesterday that there would be a new challenge! :bounce:

AdamTSC
10-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Yessss! Another challenge!! I'm in :)

TwinSnakes
10-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Really love the higher level concept this time, it really opens up the creative possibilities.

Count me in!

Bran
10-12-2012, 07:14 AM
regarding this:

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?

No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. It allows us to track the entries properly, and guarantee continued hosting of all images.

are we allowed to post the steps between the uploaded wips in a separate thread in the challenge forum?

MikeHepburn
10-12-2012, 07:36 AM
regarding this:

are we allowed to post the steps between the uploaded wips in a separate thread in the challenge forum?

If you want, please get your concepts and WIPs up for critiques/discussion by starting a thread here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=348

Just remember to upload the required deliverables to the Challenge engine:)

Bran
10-12-2012, 07:41 AM
If you want, please get your concepts and WIPs up for critiques/discussion by starting a thread here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=348
nice! :)

Just remember to upload the required deliverables to the Challenge engine:)
i won't forget (at least i hope so)!

liviuberechet
10-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Hi there,

I was really looking forward to this years autumn CG Challenge :D
I just have a few questions:

1. I want to join this challenge as an individual. If midway through the challenge I realize that I won't be able to finish working on my own, am I allowed to switch to a team entry?
2. Am I allowed to work with freelancers that will join the challenge only for a few days? (maybe model just a few props or animate some background characters). They will of course be credited, but do they count as "team members" if their contribution is not substantial?
3. Is there a limit to how many people can join as a team?
4. Can "established animation studios" enter this challenge as a team? or is it more about "discovering new talent"?

dboydesign
10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I am thinking about making a short film, but was wondering about the rules if someone else makes the sound design. I have some friends that are sound designers and if I could get them to help me out as I am a 3D Artist and don`t have that much experience with sound design.

What does the rules say`s about this kind of help?

OZ
10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
HI! I have some problems with the upload form. I click on the submit button than the form pop out, but after clicking the select your file button, i select the file but nothing happens.
How can i solve the problem!? :wip: Heeeeelp!

-OZ-

medunecer
10-12-2012, 07:12 PM
ploHI! I have some problems with the upload form. I click on the submit button than the form pop out, but after clicking the select your file button, i select the file but nothing happens.
How can i solve the problem!? :wip: Heeeeelp!

-OZ-

Hi Fabio, same problem here! Help!

Staszek
10-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Hi

So many changes in the interafce since i submit works for challange.
I was watching past challange and its so hard to review works - esspetially WIP section , i liked so much classic forum look - its was very easy to find something/someone. It was very usefull also for things like copy stuff - for example you could read post about idea, discuss about ect .It was obvious that idea is someones , that way its hard to figure someones ideas till end of the contest and its chance that the ideas can dubble or more .

I will try enter anyway :) i cant help myself !!! ideas comes to fast!

Good luck to all !

Bran
10-12-2012, 07:56 PM
I will try enter anyway :) i cant help myself !!! ideas comes to fast!

Good luck to all !

don't try - just do it! ;)
good luck to you, too!

CaptEatbones
10-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Hi there,

I'm experimenting a little issue with the image uploader. I already have submitted a first image and I would like to submit a second one. The problem is that when I select the new image from my disk, after it has been uploaded, it shows me the first one. Any idea of what is happening?

Thanks a lot,

Michele

redorb333
10-13-2012, 11:53 PM
can I use free music from the internet giving credit to the author in the individual video contest?
or the author of the music counts as another contestant and therefore I cant use his music unless i enter on the team video contest?

I ask this because I am not a composer, and maybe i will need to use music for my short, thanks

mmoir
10-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Help Uploading first image to challenge page.

Okay, I need a little help with uploading images. I have joined the challenge and when I go to upload the concept image the pop-up window asks for a file location . When I browse to the image location and hit enter nothing happens. I can upload an image to my challenge thread but not the challenge page. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

medunecer
10-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Help Uploading first image to challenge page.

Okay, I need a little help with uploading images. I have joined the challenge and when I go to upload the concept image the pop-up window asks for a file location . When I browse to the image location and hit enter nothing happens. I can upload an image to my challenge thread but not the challenge page. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Once again, I confirm I'm having just the same problem here.

MikeHepburn
10-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Hi there,

I'm experimenting a little issue with the image uploader. I already have submitted a first image and I would like to submit a second one. The problem is that when I select the new image from my disk, after it has been uploaded, it shows me the first one. Any idea of what is happening?

Thanks a lot,

Michele

Hi Michele,

We are looking into the issue now. Will be back shortly :)

MikeHepburn
10-15-2012, 03:02 AM
can I use free music from the internet giving credit to the author in the individual video contest?
or the author of the music counts as another contestant and therefore I cant use his music unless i enter on the team video contest?

I ask this because I am not a composer, and maybe i will need to use music for my short, thanks

As long as you have permission, and state the fact that you are using it and it's not your own work, then that is fine. Of course, you will not be eligible for the sound-music prize.

Or, you can enter as a team, and you will be eligible for that prize :)

MikeHepburn
10-15-2012, 03:07 AM
I am thinking about making a short film, but was wondering about the rules if someone else makes the sound design. I have some friends that are sound designers and if I could get them to help me out as I am a 3D Artist and don`t have that much experience with sound design.

What does the rules say`s about this kind of help?

Same as above...

As long as you have permission, and state the fact that you are using it and it's not your own work, then that is fine. Of course, you will not be eligible for the sound-music prize.

So, you can enter as an individual, but not be eligible for the Sound/Music prize. Or, you can enter as a team, and be eligible. :)

Amirgdx5
10-15-2012, 09:16 AM
O.K let's do this !:beer:

dboydesign
10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Thank you for your reply MikeHepburn.
I have changed my mind, I will go for the image instead of the video. But I have already signed up for Video, is there a way to change this to Image?

Daniel

DruG
10-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Questions, just to be 100% sure:

1. Is there a limit how big a team can be?
2. Can all of them be professionals working at the same company? Of course we`re talkin about few individuals wanting to do something togather, not whole company.

AbsorbentGhost
10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
So guys what teams are currently open,we should think of what we want for for entering in one of the categories.

MikeHepburn
10-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Questions, just to be 100% sure:

1. Is there a limit how big a team can be?
2. Can all of them be professionals working at the same company? Of course we`re talkin about few individuals wanting to do something togather, not whole company.

Hi.

1. No. Not sure how you will distribute the prizes though :)
2. Yep. Pros, amateurs, everybody is welcome!

MikeHepburn
10-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Hi there,

I was really looking forward to this years autumn CG Challenge :D
I just have a few questions:

1. I want to join this challenge as an individual. If midway through the challenge I realize that I won't be able to finish working on my own, am I allowed to switch to a team entry?
2. Am I allowed to work with freelancers that will join the challenge only for a few days? (maybe model just a few props or animate some background characters). They will of course be credited, but do they count as "team members" if their contribution is not substantial?
3. Is there a limit to how many people can join as a team?
4. Can "established animation studios" enter this challenge as a team? or is it more about "discovering new talent"?

Hi,

1. Yes you may.
2. Yes, however they would have to be credited and classed as team members.
3. No. If they win, theyll get the same amount of prizes as a small team.
4. Yes. Everybody is welcome. It would be really cool to create more in-depth WIPs, so the community can benefit from your techniques, pipelines etc. A big goal of these challenges is for folk to learn from others. :)

MikeHepburn
10-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Thank you for your reply MikeHepburn.
I have changed my mind, I will go for the image instead of the video. But I have already signed up for Video, is there a way to change this to Image?

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Currently the only way to do it is by signing in with a new cgtalk account :(

AdamTSC
10-16-2012, 02:11 AM
Hi Daniel,

Currently the only way to do it is by signing in with a new cgtalk account :(

The rules say we can sign up for both the image and video categories. To do both, we have to create a second CGTalk account??

dboydesign
10-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Thank you MikeHepburn,

As AdamTSC is pointing out, the rules clearly says " Individuals may enter both Image and Video categories. " ?

It`s not a problem for me to sign up for a new account, but I find this kind of strange.

Daniel

MikeHepburn
10-16-2012, 11:01 AM
The rules say we can sign up for both the image and video categories. To do both, we have to create a second CGTalk account??

Yeah, unfortunately. It's annoying. We are working on the issue, but for now it's the work around.

Cheers, Mike

dboydesign
10-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Ok I see :)
Then there`s a new question, it might already been answered.
If you have joined the challenge as individual video, but decide to have a team instead. Do you then just call it a team video or do you need to create an account for this as well?

MohsenFarshadi
10-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Hi
is the mean by video a computer-made graphical video or i can make a real short film including some visual effects or something?

Staszek
10-16-2012, 01:48 PM
forum back , so cool

big tx ctalk!

AbsorbentGhost
10-16-2012, 07:36 PM
that b-movie made a dent in this community man.Can't wait to see what u come up with .

AdamTSC
10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Yeah, unfortunately. It's annoying. We are working on the issue, but for now it's the work around.

Cheers, Mike

Would you say it's worth waiting for now on creating that second account if a fix is in the works? Should we post our updates in a thread for now only and then once it's fixed upload them 'officially'?

AbsorbentGhost
10-16-2012, 10:20 PM
this issue should be taken up .

Would you say it's worth waiting for now on creating that second account if a fix is in the works? Should we post our updates in a thread for now only and then once it's fixed upload them 'officially'?

MikeHepburn
10-17-2012, 02:51 AM

By the end of the challenge you only need to have uploaded the required deliverables to the Challenge Engine. So, the bulk of concepts/WIPs and discussion/critiques can happen in the forums. But I'd say create the second account, just in case something unforeseen happens, and we have to keep this work around.

Remember to leave plenty of time to upload to the Challenge Engine!

MikeHepburn
10-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Ok I see :)
Then there`s a new question, it might already been answered.
If you have joined the challenge as individual video, but decide to have a team instead. Do you then just call it a team video or do you need to create an account for this as well?

Hi Daniel,

I hate being the bearer of annoying news... but that will require a third account. Sorry :(

Sundaynights
10-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Hi CG-Talk,

I just wanted to say that I will join - for a 3D still image. I don't have much experience with texturing and lighting but will do my best. I am curious if I can make it within the deadline! Even so I don't think I would win anything I will get much experience out of this!

Let's work and learn from each other!

MikeHepburn
10-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Hi CG-Talk,

I just wanted to say that I will join - for a 3D still image. I don't have much experience with texturing and lighting but will do my best. I am curious if I can make it within the deadline! Even so I don't think I would win anything I will get much experience out of this!

Let's work and learn from each other!

Good luck Monica! Challenges like this are all about taking your skill level to the next level. :)

mmoir
10-18-2012, 03:30 AM
I know you can enter the video and the Image entry but I was wondering if you can enter 2 image entries. I thought I read this somewhere in the FAQ or some post but can't find it now. I was thinking of doing one of my concepts in 2d and the other in 3d , basically I can't decide which one to do .
Thanks for any info on this.

MikeHepburn
10-18-2012, 04:46 AM
I know you can enter the video and the Image entry but I was wondering if you can enter 2 image entries. I thought I read this somewhere in the FAQ or some post but can't find it now. I was thinking of doing one of my concepts in 2d and the other in 3d , basically I can't decide which one to do .
Thanks for any info on this.

Yeah Mike, you can. Just upload it into the same account :)

TwinSnakes
10-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Can my trailer be 45 seconds?

medunecer
10-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi all,
for your information, images uploading problems could be related with internet axplorer 9;
if you are experiencing this issue, try to upload your images using Chrome as browser.
With chrome, everithing is working fine here.
Good luck!

MikeHepburn
10-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Hi all,
for your information, images uploading problems could be related with internet axplorer 9;
if you are experiencing this issue, try to upload your images using Chrome as browser.
With chrome, everithing is working fine here.
Good luck!

Exactly! Thanks Marco. We recommend that you avoid IE :)

MikeHepburn
10-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Can my trailer be 45 seconds?

Technically yeah, it's fine. Just keep it under 500mb, and make every second sing, because the judges will be looking through a lot of them :)

Azarudeen
10-19-2012, 06:01 AM
Hi, i have a few questions for the team video category.

1) How long the final Video should be ? any Min or Max duration ?
2) Can we do a live action shortfilm with minimal effects and simulations in it or have to be CG related entirely?

thanks in advance

BBrice
10-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Hello, i've joined the challenge monday and my thread hasn't been created, it's normal or it's because i'm a new member ?

Citizen Suicide
10-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Sounds good, going to give this a try, don't believe I'll get a mention, but should be fun nonetheless. In the interests of using it as a learning experience, I might try out a technique I've wanted to use for a personal project, using an all opensource software stack. I'd need to use characters generated by MakeHuman, is it acceptable to use generated characters instead of ones made entirely by myself?

Also is it ok to also upload pictures to my own website during the challenge so friends/family who don't come here can follow along?

avishai6
10-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Hello everyone and good luck to all participants!

my question is: what is the minimum and maximum duration for individual video section.

Thank you!

maxspider3000
10-20-2012, 11:49 PM
finally! a new challenge
I really miss those days :D

ok, I have one question for now
and it's about commenting on the entries
I know this system was here for a while
but I still don't know how to post a comment with my cgtalk account
I can find other ways (like facebook and yahoo)
but I prefer to use my CGS account

so ... how can I do that ? :)

MikeHepburn
10-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Hello, i've joined the challenge monday and my thread hasn't been created, it's normal or it's because i'm a new member ?

Hi Brice,

Yep, it's because you're a new member. The first thread has to be moderated to guard against spammers. You'll be up and running shortly!

MikeHepburn
10-22-2012, 02:18 AM
Hi, i have a few questions for the team video category.

1) How long the final Video should be ? any Min or Max duration ?
2) Can we do a live action shortfilm with minimal effects and simulations in it or have to be CG related entirely?

thanks in advance

Hi,

1. The limitation is 500mb. So, squeeze as many minutes into that as you can:)
2. Keep in mind this is a "CG" Challenge, live action is fine, but if the film is not significantly "CG" you're not likely to win any prizes.

grumposaur
10-22-2012, 05:49 AM
With the 500MB max limit for video, and also a 30-60sec trailer, I would assume the movie would need to be much longer than the trailer. Could you make a 1:00min movie and 15sec trailer?

DruG
10-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Can an entry be in a form of a movie trailer, or it has to be a short animation?

adib
10-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi,

there is a problem on my account on my uploads is a different name see attachment.
http://imageshack.us/a/img577/424/uploadsproblem.jpg

can we fix this? Thanks!

BBrice
10-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Yep, it's because you're a new member. The first thread has to be moderated to guard against spammers. You'll be up and running shortly!
Ok, thank you.

Keenly
10-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Hi,

there is a problem on my account on my uploads is a different name see attachment.

can we fix this? Thanks!

Eep! thanks adib, all fixed
:blush:

MikeHepburn
10-23-2012, 02:33 AM
With the 500MB max limit for video, and also a 30-60sec trailer, I would assume the movie would need to be much longer than the trailer. Could you make a 1:00min movie and 15sec trailer?

Hiya Scott,

It's actually 500mb per upload, not all videos combined. We would prefer a more meaty trailer of around 30 seconds. Hey, I guess the movie can be shorter than the trailer if you can get that work :)

Check out the Dreamscape Video Master for good examples... http://challenge.cgsociety.org/dreamscape/entry/BramLeeCH/final_video/5373

Cheers, Mike

MikeHepburn
10-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Can an entry be in a form of a movie trailer, or it has to be a short animation?

Yes. Don't forget that the video deliverables are... a 30-60 second trailer, 'making of' and the final HD video. So, if the final video is a trailer, it will need to add substantially to the trailer of the trailer... if you get my meaning :)

MikeHepburn
10-23-2012, 02:57 AM
Sounds good, going to give this a try, don't believe I'll get a mention, but should be fun nonetheless. In the interests of using it as a learning experience, I might try out a technique I've wanted to use for a personal project, using an all opensource software stack. I'd need to use characters generated by MakeHuman, is it acceptable to use generated characters instead of ones made entirely by myself?

Also is it ok to also upload pictures to my own website during the challenge so friends/family who don't come here can follow along?

Hi Sean,

Sounds ok - there are no limitations to software used, although you should add to it significantly, as stock models/materials etc can stand out and won't look like as much effort.

That's fine to show concepts and WIPs on your personal site. Please credit and link back to the Challenge. :)

However, your final image must not be shown anywhere but on CGSociety prior to the judging stage. Don't forget that at least 2 WIPs need to be uploaded to the Challenge Engine.

mic
10-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Hi Sean,

However, your final image must not be shown anywhere but on CGSociety prior to the judging stage. Don't forget that at least 2 WIPs need to be uploaded to the Challenge Engine.

Just want to confirm. Does that mean we can post the final image on our portfolio/blog site only after the deadline?

Thanks.

DruG
10-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Yes. Don't forget that the video deliverables are... a 30-60 second trailer, 'making of' and the final HD video. So, if the final video is a trailer, it will need to add substantially to the trailer of the trailer... if you get my meaning :)

That's actually where my question came from;) thanks!

Karnageddon
10-24-2012, 02:29 AM
Q: What deliverables are there for a video entry?

At least one submission for each milestone including a 30-60 second trailer, 'making of' and the final HD video.

Out of curiosity, the trailer, "making of" and final are considered to be the milestones here?

Also, what type of format are we required to submit the "making of" in?

grumposaur
10-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Just a quick question for the video/team video category: Maybe I haven't searched enough, but in the previous contests, video participants usually had extra time to finish after the image entries were due. Is there a separate deadline for videos?

MikeHepburn
10-24-2012, 03:15 AM
Just want to confirm. Does that mean we can post the final image on our portfolio/blog site only after the deadline?

Thanks.

That's correct.

MikeHepburn
10-24-2012, 03:23 AM
[/list]Out of curiosity, the trailer, "making of" and final are considered to be the milestones here?

Also, what type of format are we required to submit the "making of" in?

That's correct.
The format for the 'making of'' is the same as the Final Video technical requirements from the FAQ.

MikeHepburn
10-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Just a quick question for the video/team video category: Maybe I haven't searched enough, but in the previous contests, video participants usually had extra time to finish after the image entries were due. Is there a separate deadline for videos?

Hi, unfortunately no. The deadline is the same for both.

TeamBAR
10-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Looking forward to this!

What is considered for judging? Are the milestones (trailer, making of, etc) lumped in with your final video and judged all together or are they just a requisite for your final piece to be considered?

adib
10-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi,
for the video WIP we can put the a link that is outside the cgsociety? Of corse i upload my WIPs also in the challenge uploads,but this is just for the tread on the forum.

thanks!

MikeHepburn
10-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi,
for the video WIP we can put the a link that is outside the cgsociety? Of corse i upload my WIPs also in the challenge uploads,but this is just for the tread on the forum.

thanks!

That should be OK. Please credit and link to the Challenge, and make sure you have the deliverables uploaded to the Challenge engine.

MikeHepburn
10-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Looking forward to this!

What is considered for judging? Are the milestones (trailer, making of, etc) lumped in with your final video and judged all together or are they just a requisite for your final piece to be considered?

While the final image and video are the most important, the other components will also be taken into account, as will community input - especially when the votes are too close to call. :)

Karnageddon
10-24-2012, 11:27 PM
That's correct.
The format for the 'making of'' is the same as the Final Video technical requirements from the FAQ.

In that case, does it have to be narrated or just a montage of work in progress? I normally don't record myself working and therefore unsure what is required here or how much time I should plan to dedicate to it.

MikeHepburn
10-24-2012, 11:38 PM
In that case, does it have to be narrated or just a montage of work in progress? I normally don't record myself working and therefore unsure what is required here or how much time I should plan to dedicate to it.

Narrated and montage are both fine. check out what previous winners have done as a guideline...

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/dreamscape_winners

maxspider3000
10-25-2012, 02:37 PM
you didn't answer my question yet :

so ... how can I do that ?

EnaOv
10-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi there! I have a question regarding the contest. The 3d image category is only individual?

Karnageddon
10-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Narrated and montage are both fine. check out what previous winners have done as a guideline...

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/dreamscape_winners

Great, thanks a lot Mike. I somehow missed the challenge page for each entry and seeing all of the uploads.

Keenly
10-26-2012, 04:02 AM
*Drum Roll*

NEW FEATURES:
Change your category
Edit, Move & Delete uploaded entries

Great news, we've added new features to the challenge.

Access your entries by clicking 'View My Entries' from the challenge navigation

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/static/images/share/view_my_enties.jpg

Change categories by clicking the 'Edit Details' button.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/static/images/share/edit_details.jpg

Edit/Move/Delete an entry by opening the image thumbnail. and click the 'Edit Entry' button.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/static/images/share/edit_entry.jpg

Note: Editing will only be available while the challenge is in progress, as soon as that countdown hits '0' your entry page is locked in.

AbsorbentGhost
10-26-2012, 11:14 AM
thanks alot for this.Can some tell me how to embed or insert gif files ?

DKCrame
10-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Hi we've entered the Team Video category a few questions please:

I'm the team leader and registered under my name, is that understood to be the registered entry of the whole team or should I start a new account with the team name?
Where do the team members go to be acknowledged as team members?
How do they vote for the team leader, or acknowledge the team leader?
Should we post in the forums as well as the Challenge Engine?

Thanks in advance for reviewing, and hopefully clarifying the above.

Cheers!

FelixU2
10-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi CGsociety!

I'm a bit confused about the deliverables for the video category. What should be in the 30-60 second trailer? The FAQ says: "One submission for each milestone, including a 30-60 trailer.. ". It suggests that each milestone needs one 30-60 second trailer. Could you explain in other words what is required for the video category deliverables?

Thanks in advance!
Felix

Keenly
10-29-2012, 01:47 AM

so ... how can I do that ? :)@maxspider3000 you can't use your CGS account for the comments as we are using disqus (http://disqus.com/) for comments. you can post as a 'guest' and use your CGS username that way, otherwise you will need to create a disqus account (which you can do using facebook, yahoo, google, openid or twitter as you mentioned)

hope this helps.

Keenly
10-29-2012, 01:58 AM
thanks alot for this.Can some tell me how to embed or insert gif files ?@AbsorbentGhost you are unable to embed .gif files or upload them to the challenge, sorry, i suggest if you want to show an animation you upload it as video (even if it's tiny).

Keenly
10-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Hi we've entered the Team Video category a few questions please:

I'm the team leader and registered under my name, is that understood to be the registered entry of the whole team or should I start a new account with the team name?
Where do the team members go to be acknowledged as team members?
How do they vote for the team leader, or acknowledge the team leader?

@DKCrame It's up to you and your team if you want to register a new account, or just use an existing one. when you upload an entry you can credit the team in the description. And challenge winners will be contacted at the end of the challenge to get more details on the team members.

Should we post in the forums as well as the Challenge Engine?
no, the forum is open for posting if you like, but it is NOT an official part of the challenge.

Keenly
10-29-2012, 02:40 AM
Hi,

I would like to enter the video contest. I read in the Frequently Asked Question that "at least one submission for each milestone including a 30-60 second trailer, 'making of' and the final HD video" were required. I have some questions regarding this point.

1) What do you mean by milestone?

2) I was thinking doing a short 3D video (20-25 secondes)... I don't see how I can provide you with a trailer of 30-60 seconds if my final video is shorter. Any advice?

Finally, if my video is all 3D (without any actors), what do you mean by "making of"? Should I provide you with a video detailing how I got to the final result, and what kind of effects I used?

Sorry to be a pain, but I want to carefully understand everything before starting the project.

Thank you very much,

J-LThread: 1077357 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=348&t=1077357)

1) What do you mean by milestone? When you upload an entry there is an option 'which requirement does this meet', these are the milestones.
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/static/images/share/requirement.jpg

2) I was thinking doing a short 3D video (20-25 secondes)... I don't see how I can provide you with a trailer of 30-60 seconds if my final video is shorter. Any advice? I have changed the FAQ to be less specific, it now says: "a ~30-60 second trailer". Your work will speak for itself, nobody's watching the clock. just make sure there is a less than 60 second video there that can be used to promote your final video. :thumbsup:

SarwarZKhan
10-29-2012, 05:42 AM
Hi,

I created a thread in cg challenge forum but I dont understand how to upload image there. The insert image icon is only asking me "enter the text to be formatted"

Keenly
10-29-2012, 06:20 AM
I created a thread in cg challenge forum but I dont understand how to upload image there. The insert image icon is only asking me "enter the text to be formatted"@SarwarZKhan You need to upload the image somewhere first. i suggest uploading to the challenge, and link to the images from there to the forum.

Sphereuk
10-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Hey all, i am getting very confused atm (probably for no reason) but i am just curious. Do we have to submit 2 WIP before we submit the final rendered version?

freighttrein
10-31-2012, 11:35 PM
Hey im new to CgSociety Challenges, the "submit entry" button is for WIPS? or is that for finals?

Keenly
11-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Hey all, i am getting very confused atm (probably for no reason) but i am just curious. Do we have to submit 2 WIP before we submit the final rendered version?Yes, upload at-least 2 WIP images to compliment your final image.

Hey im new to CgSociety Challenges, the "submit entry" button is for WIPS? or is that for finals?The 'submit entry' button is for everything (WIPS & final entry). when you upload something it will become more obvious, you will be asked to select which milestone you have reached (image bellow for video entries)

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/static/images/share/requirement.jpg

DBaciu
11-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Hello, I entered the contest by submitting an image, but when I wanted to open my own entry I encountered this error:
An Error Was Encountered

The URI you submitted has disallowed characters.

The URL is this: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/entry/Dan+Baciu/concept_art/10001827

So, it's working or what?

Thanks.

Keenly
11-01-2012, 02:30 AM
Hello, I entered the contest by submitting an image, but when I wanted to open my own entry I encountered this error:
An Error Was Encountered

The URI you submitted has disallowed characters.
Hi Dan, thanks for letting me know, I have fixed this fault.
fyi: the error was being caused by the space in your username, I've fixed this now for the challenge but you might find other faults occur (anywhere your username is used in the URL), for example you will need to change your username to create a CGPortfolio (http://portfolio.cgsociety.org/manage/summary.php).

TeamBAR
11-01-2012, 04:45 AM
Is it possible to change your username? Or would he have to sign up for a new account? I would love to change the name on my old account (I had to make this new one because I didn't think I could change it)

Keenly
11-01-2012, 05:09 AM
Is it possible to change your username? Or would he have to sign up for a new account? I would love to change the name on my old account (I had to make this new one because I didn't think I could change it)You can change your username from this URL:
http://portfolio.cgsociety.org/manage/account.php

KMcNamara
11-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Thank you so much! :applause:

Emptyshell
11-02-2012, 12:54 AM
hey,

not sure if its possible but can I change the title of my thread as it appears in the cgchallenge forum?

DBaciu
11-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Well, it's me again. I have two questions:
Regarding my username (and by the way, thanks) how do I change it again?
Because it's stupid with the hyphen between...
I'm not capable of finding the way of changing it again...
Second:
The same, I'm not capable of finding a way to enter another entry in the contest...
There are not multiple entries allowed?
I want to enter in the video section.

Thank you!

KMcNamara
11-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Just a few posts above yours:

You can change your username from this URL:
http://portfolio.cgsociety.org/manage/account.php

DBaciu
11-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Yeah... The post above my post was posted because of my post posted above it...
So where exactly on this http://portfolio.cgsociety.org/manage/personal_details.php?signup=true page can I change my username?
What about multiple contest entries?

Keenly
11-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Well, it's me again. I have two questions:
Regarding my username (and by the way, thanks) how do I change it again?
Second:
The same, I'm not capable of finding a way to enter another entry in the contest...
There are not multiple entries allowed?
I want to enter in the video section.Oh I see, you haven't created a CGPortfolio yet. you will need to fill in the personal details form first, then you will see the other options like change username.

If you want to enter two categories (i.e. Video & Image) you will need two CGTalk accounts.

Hope this helps.

pcanime
11-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi im join to the challenge in image, But im want to now is it posible to make this image with 2 artist in single image.

Thanks for the answer

cherkio
11-06-2012, 11:12 AM
sorry if I didnt anderstand , " Minimum Dimensions: landscape - 2560 x 1600 " can it be , 2560 *1800 for example? I mean this size ratio is exact?

Keenly
11-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Hi im join to the challenge in image, But im want to now is it posible to make this image with 2 artist in single image. That's Fine, as long as you credit the other artists. And you will need to manage prizes between yourselves.

sorry if I didnt anderstand , " Minimum Dimensions: landscape - 2560 x 1600 " can it be , 2560 *1800 for example? I mean this size ratio is exact? yes, 2560*1800 is larger than the minimum , so that's fine.

Versiden
11-09-2012, 03:37 PM
@DKCrame It's up to you and your team if you want to register a new account, or just use an existing one. when you upload an entry you can credit the team in the description. And challenge winners will be contacted at the end of the challenge to get more details on the team members.

no, the forum is open for posting if you like, but it is NOT an official part of the challenge.

Hiya ;p

Just to be clear - I've joined and uploaded an entry, do I still have to manually create a forum POST/thread and link my WIP images manually too?

thanks!

adib
11-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi, I can t upload video.First time was ok but now I don t understand: said Upload sucessful but the video don t show up.

Help please! All the best:)

Keenly
11-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Just to be clear - I've joined and uploaded an entry, do I still have to manually create a forum POST/thread and link my WIP images manually too?No you don't have to manually create a forum post. The judges will only be judging on what you upload to the challenge webpage: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten,

Good Luck.

Keenly
11-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Hi, I can t upload video.First time was ok but now I don t understand: said Upload sucessful but the video don t show up.Thanks adib, there was a fault causing smaller sized videos not to be displayed. I have fixed this now.

Edgemaster
11-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Yeah I'm confused on the miles stones too....Can all milestone be delivered at the end.. Or is that something that has a specific date? I know the holidays are gonna be tricky and just trying get a good schedule down.

Keenly
11-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Yeah I'm confused on the miles stones too....Can all milestone be delivered at the end.. Or is that something that has a specific date? I know the holidays are gonna be tricky and just trying get a good schedule down.We would like to see your progress leading up to the final entry, but there is no deadline for the milestones and no rule that says when you have to upload it, or in what order. (It's best not to leave everything to the last minute).

freakyphil1
11-15-2012, 12:21 PM
What is the age limit for entering?

freakyphil1
11-15-2012, 01:30 PM
whats the age limit for the contest?

Keenly
11-16-2012, 01:17 AM
whats the age limit for the contest? Good question, entrants must be 18 years or older. I have added this to the Terms & Conditions (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/terms_and_conditions#jumpto).

freakyphil1
11-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Good question, entrants must be 18 years or older. I have added this to the Terms & Conditions (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/terms_and_conditions#jumpto).

ok thanks...

FelixU2
11-16-2012, 03:40 PM
WHYYYYYYY???? :banghead: :cry:
I'm just 16...working on it for days now :/

Yeah, same here...

BUZZFX
11-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Wow 1 month in already and I didnt even realize there was a new challenge. Dont know if I will have time to play catch up now. I wish emails were sent out to all former participants to let us know of this new contest. Hope to have a chance to do this but with 1 month already gone it is a little late to get started but I just love these challenges! :thumbsup:

fbuchanan
12-03-2012, 06:18 AM
I checked the video entries and my images for my entry were not in there. They show under my entry page and the category is set to video. What should I do?

grumposaur
12-03-2012, 07:01 AM
I had this problem too. It seems the WIP and concept images I posted didn't show as the Video category, but the first WIP video I posted showed up. I think you will show up under video entries when you post your first video.

...but I may just be assuming:)

Keenly
12-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Hi,

The 'image' and 'video' views on the 'View All Entries Submitted' page currently only relate to the uploaded content type and not the category you have entered.

so if you are entered into the video category and upload an image, it will show with the images, video with videos.

It would be good to have more sorting and view options on the 'View All Entries Submitted' page. if you have any suggestions please let us know and hopefully we can upgrade it soon.

stefan
12-06-2012, 03:11 AM
Would by possible to change name of my thread?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=348&t=1081970

Cg Challenge Xxii - Ten
to:
Cg Challenge Xxii - Ten (Animation) StefanGura

Sorry and thanks

stefan
12-06-2012, 08:57 AM

ejayM2
12-06-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't see any buttons for me to select my file when I click on the Upload Entry Button. I would very much love to join the competition so any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Keenly
12-06-2012, 10:35 PM
I don't see any buttons for me to select my file when I click on the Upload Entry Button. What do you see when you click upload entry?

ejayM2
12-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Keenly

Everything seems to be working for me now, but before all I could see is the bar that shows how much of the jpg is uploaded. The button for "select your file" is missing. It's there now but wasn't before. Thanks though Keenly.

ejayM2
12-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Keenly

Okay, that's weird, cause now the "select your file" button is missing again. I went to upload three images and the button was there. When I tried to upload my fourth image, the button is missing again. I feel like it's playing hide and seek with me. Any ideas why the "select your file" button would go missing in action every now and then?

stefan
12-07-2012, 03:12 PM
I do not see the text (this "select your file" ) just empty button (white space) but this white space is working (it is clicable ). I am on firefox 17.0.1

ejayM2
12-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Stefan

I don't even see the white button... I'm telling you someone needs to do a search and rescue for this white button... anyone willing to volunteer? :)

daviz84
12-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Hi, can users from outside US participate? Im from Peru.

BASIT
12-10-2012, 05:38 PM
problem here

http://dc361.4shared.com/img/N6wJDzKO/s7/0.6517737897269714/Image1.jpg

Royts
12-10-2012, 11:20 PM
I have a doubt, How many pieces can be sent?
I have 3 ideas and I'd like to send both. I hope you can respond me right away, Please.

PD.. I'm sorry if I wrote bad, I'm learning english recently.

vernmanlapaz
12-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Hello, where can I put the wips of my video? like the making of and trailers and stuff

MikeHepburn
12-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Hi, can users from outside US participate? Im from Peru.

Hi David,

Yes, people from all over the world are welcome to join!

MikeHepburn
12-13-2012, 01:37 AM
I have a doubt, How many pieces can be sent?
I have 3 ideas and I'd like to send both. I hope you can respond me right away, Please.

PD.. I'm sorry if I wrote bad, I'm learning english recently.

You can have as many as you want :) Enter them all!

dblrg
12-13-2012, 03:18 AM
I installed chrome and finally got the upload button to work, but when i click on my file to upload it nothing happens! Any help?!
Thanks

dblrg
12-14-2012, 11:41 PM
OK, I was patient, let the upload of my WIP take it's 40 minutes to upload ( a very small file ) and then recieved a PHP error for it! I am using Blender 2.56, saved my .blend file, and then saved it as a video using AVI codec. Am I doing something wrong (obviously) and what should I do about it?!
Thanks!!

3dnash3
12-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Hi,
I'm planing to do a short movie.There is a scene where I want to show few news clips(they will be shown in a tv screen/screens)can i use few news footage for that?

Keenly
12-16-2012, 11:55 PM
what should I do about it?! Can you please email me your video to info@cgsociety.org and I will try uploading it to see what happens. if you recorded the PHP error I would be interested to see that too.

robsimon
12-17-2012, 08:10 PM
I would like to join the contest with my brother. Could we submit as a duo?

MikeHepburn
12-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Hi,
I'm planing to do a short movie.There is a scene where I want to show few news clips(they will be shown in a tv screen/screens)can i use few news footage for that?

Hi,
Unfortunately, that would probably breach copyright, so you can only use it if you get permission from the news service.

ChenChiangChong
12-18-2012, 06:36 AM
hi everyone , its good to joining everyone to counting down the time. All the best!

dblrg
12-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the info, it was my fault totally. Rendered the .blend file wrong, but it's OK and running well now. Thanks again!!
dblrg

Royts
12-19-2012, 04:46 AM
I need to know if, can i use After effects, Photoshop or any other for the post production? or I have to sent only my final 3D Render from 3D Software? tell me if can i use those software too Please!

MikeHepburn
12-20-2012, 12:11 AM
I need to know if, can i use After effects, Photoshop or any other for the post production? or I have to sent only my final 3D Render from 3D Software? tell me if can i use those software too Please!

Hi Roy,

Yes you can.

Cheers, Mike

MikeHepburn
12-20-2012, 12:13 AM
I would like to join the contest with my brother. Could we submit as a duo?

Hi Robson,

Yes you can, but technically that will be a team. So one of you must be the Team Leader, and join as a team.

Cheers, Mike

Miked08
12-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Just a question about image dimensions (I intend to enter in the image category). The minimum dimensions are 2650px x 1600px so if I entered an image that is 5000px x 8460px (random example) that would be okay right?

Just checking!

MikeHepburn
12-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Just a question about image dimensions (I intend to enter in the image category). The minimum dimensions are 2650px x 1600px so if I entered an image that is 5000px x 8460px (random example) that would be okay right?

Just checking!

Hi Mike,

Yep, that's cool.

Cheers

snupi977
12-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Hello there..
I searched this tread but have not found the answer.
SO - is the usage of CG logo allowed in my work, eventually?

SummersB
12-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi. Wanted to ask about terms &conditions: 2)
"Entries may be inspired by and/or include a range of material from third parties. ..... However, failure to correctly credit all inspirations, third party works, team members, actors, etc will result in automatic disqualification."

If i want to make for example 3d movie , can I use models from daz3d, poser or other 3d models stores, with changes or without?
If yes then should I credit every model creator? Still it's kind of royalty free content.

Thanks! :)

snupi977
12-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Is usage of official CG logo allowed, eventually?

kamcsat
12-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry if it's a frequently asked question, but is the deadline for the image cathegory also 11.01.2013.?

vmulligan
12-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Are we free to submit both a video and an image entry, as in past challenges? If so, how do we join the image contest once we've already joined the video contest? (Having joined the video contest, I no longer see a green "Join Challenge" button -- only a yellow "Upload Entry" button.)

snupi977
12-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Are we free to submit both a video and an image entry, as in past challenges? If so, how do we join the image contest once we've already joined the video contest? (Having joined the video contest, I no longer see a green "Join Challenge" button -- only a yellow "Upload Entry" button.)

I think i saw this question in FAQ, and, if i understood correctly, it is possible but you have to create seperate accounts.

snupi977
12-25-2012, 10:05 AM
I also have a question regarding TEN challenge:
Is usage of official CG logo in my work allowed?

MikeHepburn
12-25-2012, 11:30 PM
I also have a question regarding TEN challenge:
Is usage of official CG logo in my work allowed?

Yes, you may.

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/cgs_logos

MikeHepburn
12-25-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry if it's a frequently asked question, but is the deadline for the image cathegory also 11.01.2013.?

Yes, 11 January 2013

MikeHepburn
12-25-2012, 11:32 PM
I think i saw this question in FAQ, and, if i understood correctly, it is possible but you have to create seperate accounts.

That is correct

MikeHepburn
12-25-2012, 11:34 PM

Yes you can, but you have to create another account to do so. (something we are working on to improve)

MikeHepburn
12-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Hi. Wanted to ask about terms &conditions: 2)
"Entries may be inspired by and/or include a range of material from third parties. ..... However, failure to correctly credit all inspirations, third party works, team members, actors, etc will result in automatic disqualification."

If i want to make for example 3d movie , can I use models from daz3d, poser or other 3d models stores, with changes or without?
If yes then should I credit every model creator? Still it's kind of royalty free content.

Thanks! :)

Yes you may. Credit everything. Keep in mind, judges will be way more impressed by custom made models.

dblrg
12-26-2012, 12:39 AM
I have almost completed my work for entry in the "TEN" challenge, and, because of the speed of my computer, will need to use an outside source to render it. I am using Blenders newest version and ended up with about 6000 frames. I am looking for, of course, a reliable, efficient and quality company that can get the job done quickly. Any help?!
Thanks!!

SummersB
12-26-2012, 07:39 AM
I have almost completed my work for entry in the "TEN" challenge, and, because of the speed of my computer, will need to use an outside source to render it. I am using Blenders newest version and ended up with about 6000 frames. I am looking for, of course, a reliable, efficient and quality company that can get the job done quickly. Any help?!
Thanks!!

Try "garagefarm" ( they say they could even do rendering free ), rebusfarm , fox renderfarm
I used only rebusfarm, so try it on your own risk =).
Or from this list http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray_services.html (not all of them support blender)

Yes you may. Credit everything. Keep in mind, judges will be way more impressed by custom made models.

Yeah I suggested this. But not sure I'd be in time if do everything by myself.

dblrg
12-27-2012, 02:56 AM
Would someone please explain to me "What deliverables are there for a video entry".
It is a question in the FAQ section, but I don't understand. Are these requirements before my final submission will be accepted, or ???
Can I simply download my video, or will it not be accepted in the competition if I don't do these other things first?
Help Please!!

gurmukhpanesar
12-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Hi,

I had started on an image a while back, its about 15% done. Was wondering if i can still use this and develop it for the competition, I had uploaded some of the WIPs onto facebook? (referring to No.15 in the Terms & Conditions)

chandro
12-28-2012, 07:38 PM
is there any chance this would be extended?

Myers
12-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Hello, I recently uploaded Final Image (Ten Keys of the World), and I was wondering if i can share it to the facebook, because terms and conditions states that i will be disqualified if go to other medium before challenge closure. In the other hand, there are buttons for sharing to facebook and other platforms, right next to my final image. Thank you for you response.

Versiden
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
upvote!
this would be awesome!

redCigarette
01-02-2013, 04:11 AM
I have been trying to upload a video (194 mb, h.264 mov) since last night. Every time the progress bar ends I get this error message :

about to create Submission
Uploaded File: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/upload/ten/uploads/2013-01-01:204415/media.movCreating Video Entry
Loading Video
A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Warning

Message: Can't open movie file /var/www/html/upload/ten/uploads/2013-01-01:204415/media.mov

Filename: libraries/ffmpeg.php

Line Number: 12

Get Video Info

I am on Firefox.

Eimer
01-02-2013, 09:42 AM

why? this was a 90 (!) days challenge...... would be unfair to the people who spend almost every day on it.

chandro
01-02-2013, 05:11 PM
if most agree with the extension then its alright, holidays really add up to schedules for family man.

dblrg
01-02-2013, 09:16 PM
the finished project I am trying to download keeps showing a php error. Perhaps my formatting is wrong. I'm using Blender. Output is mpeg; encoding is mpeg-4, bitrate 6000, audio codec none, bitrate of 256. I know we're all kind of busy, but this would seem to be a little more important to help out with the technical questions that some of us have than to be more concerned with adding time onto the contest.
I'm definately a newbie, so any help would be appreciated, especially with only a few days left! Thanks

redCigarette
01-03-2013, 10:07 AM
the finished project I am trying to download keeps showing a php error. Perhaps my formatting is wrong. I'm using Blender. Output is mpeg; encoding is mpeg-4, bitrate 6000, audio codec none, bitrate of 256. I know we're all kind of busy, but this would seem to be a little more important to help out with the technical questions that some of us have than to be more concerned with adding time onto the contest.
I'm definately a newbie, so any help would be appreciated, especially with only a few days left! Thanks

I tried on firefox 5-6 times and each time got the same error. Later tried Chrome and it surprisingly worked. Perhaps you can try switching the browser.

VladPascanu
01-03-2013, 08:51 PM
I don t know if this is the solution but after i got the php error i exported my h264 with sound from premiere, even if i didnt have sound in the timeline and the upload worked.

Keenly
01-03-2013, 10:33 PM
To anyone having the upload issue: I have fixed a fault that would have been causing videos larger than 100MB to fail.
I'm just running a few tests (waiting for my test uploads to complete), but from the posts above it seem to be working now.

The maximum file size limit will still be 500MB.

Thank you for your help everyone.

edit:
test's complete, uploads are working.

Keenly
01-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Hello, I recently uploaded Final Image (Ten Keys of the World), and I was wondering if i can share it to the facebook, because terms and conditions states that i will be disqualified if go to other medium before challenge closure. In the other hand, there are buttons for sharing to facebook and other platforms, right next to my final image. Thank you for you response.Yes, please share your challenge entries on facebook and anywhere you can in relation to 'CGChallenge XXVII TEN'.

Term '15' might need some rewording, basically it is saying that your entry must be 'original' (made for this challenge), not an image you have had published or blindly submit to every challenge.

korrigan83
01-04-2013, 07:37 PM
CGChallenge XXVII
hello have you received my image (sixtine korrigan83) thank you for your answer

ama1012
01-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Hey guys, I know it's a little late to ask but is it possible for a team to participate in the image category as a team and not individually? Because im working on something with one other person and we were wondering if it was possible, because the way the terms and condition were set made it seem like it was but when we came to hand things in we came across this issue.
Thanks

rafajija
01-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Hey guys , i finished my image and i'm working on a walkthough video of the process , is it ok to upload that to vimeo?

PeterLux
01-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Hello together,

I don't exactly know where I shall upload my entries for this challenge!? Nothing in the FAQ or Terms&Conditions...

Could somebody post a link to where in the forum the entries have to be uploaded to take part??

Thank,
PeterLux

Keenly
01-07-2013, 04:34 AM
CGChallenge XXVII
hello have you received my image (sixtine korrigan83) thank you for your answer I see you have uploaded several images into the 'concept art' milestone: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/entry/korrigan83/.

Keenly
01-07-2013, 04:49 AM
Hey guys , i finished my image and i'm working on a walkthough video of the process , is it ok to upload that to vimeo? if you want the video to be viewed by the judges you must upload it to your challenge entries using the 'upload entry' button. but you can upload it to your vimeo as well if you like.

Keenly
01-07-2013, 10:36 PM
is it possible for a team to participate in the image category as a team and not individually? Yeah, that's fine. use one account to upload the image, and that account owner is responsible for crediting everyone else involved.

Keenly
01-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Could somebody post a link to where in the forum the entries have to be uploaded to take part??
PeterLux Not in the forums, upload to the challenge website. http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten.

"click the green "JOIN CHALLENGE" button to enter. Once you have agreed to the terms and conditions the join button will change to a yellow "UPLOAD ENTRY" button, allowing you to submit your WIPs and final images."

good luck!

MikeHepburn
01-10-2013, 02:41 AM
Hi all,

This is just a general message to everybody in the forums to remember to upload their deliverables to the Challenge engine (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten). Only 2 days to go!

Please ignore this message if you already have. :)

Good luck, Mike

fendell
01-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Sorry if my question is answered some ware else, but I am wondering if I need to add black pixels to the top and bottom of my image because it dose not conform to the specified format of 2560 x 1600 (Its very wide and thin)? Or should I leave it, and scale to the width of 2560, meaning the height would be less than 1600? Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

lippgreen
01-10-2013, 10:43 AM
The "District 10" from team "cuncg" has already submitted to another competition in China in 2012 and the video's name is "Double Hunting", and it won the prize of "Golden Sheep Prize" in "The best CG Animations" section, the video has also been released on public video website, please check the links below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4evT_Jk7Q&noredirect=1 http://vimeo.com/46203573

lippgreen
01-10-2013, 11:01 AM
The "District 10" from team "cuncg" has already submitted to another competition in

China in 2012 and the video's name is "Double Hunting", and it won the prize of "Golden

Sheep Prize" in "The best CG Animations" section, the video has also been released on

public video website, please check the links below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4evT_Jk7Q&noredirect=1
http://vimeo.com/46203573

PavelSokov
01-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Absolutely no chance of extension I assume?

snoptoy
01-10-2013, 04:08 PM
hi , i have a question about the trailer . does it have to be 30-60 sec ?
thnx

MikeHepburn
01-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Absolutely no chance of extension I assume?

Unfortunately no. Extensions only occur when something happens at this end that would prevent entries occurring. Not only do we have to schedule press, work around the judges schedules etc, it's also unfair on those who got their stuff together on time.

If you are having trouble rendering it's better to submit something incomplete than nothing at all - especially if you can get your trailer together and slip animatics into missing parts of the film - cutting before you render is worth thinking about also. Make sure you're not over-sampling etc. You'll get a lot more points for artistic merit rather than quality of rendering.

Deadlines suck, but are necessary. Good luck!

fbuchanan03
01-11-2013, 05:53 AM
I already submitted a video entry. I also want to submit and image entry. Read the faq. Set up a separate account. Tried to join under the image category last night, but the image category would not accept the check mark. I inadvertantly hit join and now the new account is in the video category, which I don't want. Help Please.

Chainzee
01-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Unfortunately no. Extensions only occur when something happens at this end that would prevent entries occurring. Not only do we have to schedule press, work around the judges schedules etc, it's also unfair on those who got their stuff together on time.

If you are having trouble rendering it's better to submit something incomplete than nothing at all - especially if you can get your trailer together and slip animatics into missing parts of the film - cutting before you render is worth thinking about also. Make sure you're not over-sampling etc. You'll get a lot more points for artistic merit rather than quality of rendering.

But seems you have extended this one, or...? As it's 11.01 and the timer still says over 3 days to go?

PavelSokov
01-11-2013, 04:12 PM

Please answer fast: Should I submit my unfinished painting or there is absolutely no point? feels like I wasted my time, really a shame :(

unfinished painting looks like this: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/41/10thmugofale8.jpg

Dzejsi
01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Hi,
in Terms & Conditions number "24:The winners grant Ballistic Media first right to publish their submitted work in any media. Entrants should notify Ballistic Media in writing at least one week prior to the publication of their work in any media."

What do you exactly mean "media"?

Can I when the challenge will be finished upload my image to some another 3d server for self promotion?

rafajija
01-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Hi,
in Terms & Conditions number "24:The winners grant Ballistic Media first right to publish their submitted work in any media. Entrants should notify Ballistic Media in writing at least one week prior to the publication of their work in any media."

Can I when the challenge will be finished upload my image to some another 3d server for self promotion?

hi mate! i had the same questions , after reading this thread i decided to post on my folio and vimeo, i think it should be alright.

here :

Originally Posted by rafajija
Hey guys , i finished my image and i'm working on a walkthough video of the process , is it ok to upload that to vimeo?
if you want the video to be viewed by the judges you must upload it to your challenge entries using the 'upload entry' button. but you can upload it to your vimeo as well if you like.

and , another one :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myers
Hello, I recently uploaded Final Image (Ten Keys of the World), and I was wondering if i can share it to the facebook, because terms and conditions states that i will be disqualified if go to other medium before challenge closure. In the other hand, there are buttons for sharing to facebook and other platforms, right next to my final image. Thank you for you response.

Yes, please share your challenge entries on facebook and anywhere you can in relation to 'CGChallenge XXVII TEN'.

Term '15' might need some rewording, basically it is saying that your entry must be 'original' (made for this challenge), not an image you have had published or blindly submit to every challenge.

hope i dont get disqualified for this :P

MikeHepburn
01-12-2013, 03:09 AM
Please answer fast: Should I submit my unfinished painting or there is absolutely no point? feels like I wasted my time, really a shame :(

unfinished painting looks like this: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/41/10thmugofale8.jpg

I'd say, submit it.

MikeHepburn
01-12-2013, 03:11 AM
Hi,

As soon as the challenge is over you can submit to other sites for self promo.

MikeHepburn
01-12-2013, 03:23 AM
hi mate! i had the same questions , after reading this thread i decided to post on my folio and vimeo, i think it should be alright.

here :

Originally Posted by rafajija
if you want the video to be viewed by the judges you must upload it to your challenge entries using the 'upload entry' button. but you can upload it to your vimeo as well if you like.

and , another one :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myers

Yes, please share your challenge entries on facebook and anywhere you can in relation to 'CGChallenge XXVII TEN'.

hope i dont get disqualified for this :P

Should be cool. We just don't want folk dredging up some old work from a year ago and renaming it for the challenge. Just the fresh stuff for this challenge :)

Samuraikuroi
01-12-2013, 04:33 AM
I have been working on this for a few months... the clock says that time had ran out , even though there was time left on the clock if you have been following it from the beginning ( meaning it should have ran out at 1:00 am.) I hope the clock ending is for people who wished to jump in to day or at the last moment. I have uploaded I hope I made it in. PLEASE some one get back to me and let me know. thanks

SilentMonkey
01-12-2013, 04:50 AM
I have been working on this for a few months... the clock says that time had ran out , even though there was time left on the clock if you have been following it from the beginning ( meaning it should have ran out at 1:00 am.) I hope the clock ending is for people who wished to jump in to day or at the last moment. I have uploaded I hope I made it in. PLEASE some one get back to me and let me know. thanks

I'm in the same situation. I uploaded a tweaked final image since there was still some time left... I hope it will count !

huteford
01-12-2013, 05:01 AM
yeah, same here, the clock said we still got 1 hour than it said closed... :sad: don't know if we get in or not.

ama1012
01-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Dear judges and higher ups,
I uploaded my work at 12 however i saw the entries closed sign and i was afraid i was too late even though my entry uploaded through just fine. can i get some confirmation because that would be nice because according to the countdown we were supposed to end at 12 from what i could tell.
I would really appreciate a reply.
Thank You.

ama1012
01-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Wait so this was supposed to end at 1?
Im confused :/

Hit-Fx
01-12-2013, 07:22 AM
yeah, same here, the clock said we still got 1 hour than it said closed... :sad: don't know if we get in or not.

exactly i am
after that i can't Upload ( i see upload buton but I think for final houers Trafic)
Please Help me :sad:

DeepAction
01-12-2013, 09:58 AM
I submitted to the Challenge but there is one tiny detail which I forgot to do to the image before submitting it - I forgot to white balance so there would be no change to the content of the image just the tones.

Is there any chance that I could upload the white balanced version ?

ajinak
01-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Hello there,

just one question. On my profile (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/entry/ajinak) I see all three WIPs correctly, but if I open (for example) the final one (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/entry/ajinak/final_image/10004399) , then under 'Last 5 uploads by ajinak' I see 3 of the previously deleted pictures (two of them were final ones, but I realized some problem - they were still there after deleting, so I changed them to WIPs, just in case) and only one of the WIPs from my profile.

I'm just a little bit worried that it now seems like there aren't two WIPs that were requested.
Hopefully it's understandable. Thanks in advance!

And good luck to all of you! :)

Strannik
01-12-2013, 04:14 PM
WIP stage housing is completed.
Can I put my WIP in my portfolio?
Can I do this not only on this forum?

MikeHepburn
01-14-2013, 12:20 AM
WIP stage housing is completed.
Can I put my WIP in my portfolio?
Can I do this not only on this forum?

Yes you may :)

MikeHepburn
01-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Hello there,

just one question. On my profile (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/entry/ajinak) I see all three WIPs correctly, but if I open (for example) the final one (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/entry/ajinak/final_image/10004399) , then under 'Last 5 uploads by ajinak' I see 3 of the previously deleted pictures (two of them were final ones, but I realized some problem - they were still there after deleting, so I changed them to WIPs, just in case) and only one of the WIPs from my profile.

I'm just a little bit worried that it now seems like there aren't two WIPs that were requested.
Hopefully it's understandable. Thanks in advance!

And good luck to all of you! :)

Looks fine to me Alena.

Cheers

MikeHepburn
01-14-2013, 12:29 AM
I'm in the same situation. I uploaded a tweaked final image since there was still some time left... I hope it will count !

Looks like it uploaded.

Cheers

MikeHepburn
01-14-2013, 12:29 AM
I submitted to the Challenge but there is one tiny detail which I forgot to do to the image before submitting it - I forgot to white balance so there would be no change to the content of the image just the tones.

Is there any chance that I could upload the white balanced version ?

Unfortunately no :(

Cheers

MikeHepburn
01-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Dear judges and higher ups,
I uploaded my work at 12 however i saw the entries closed sign and i was afraid i was too late even though my entry uploaded through just fine. can i get some confirmation because that would be nice because according to the countdown we were supposed to end at 12 from what i could tell.
I would really appreciate a reply.
Thank You.

Looks like it uploaded fine.

Cheers

MikeHepburn
01-14-2013, 12:33 AM

Yep you did.

Cheers

Hit-Fx
01-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Why does not anyone answer me?

I could not upload file, But I did in Time,
I send message ...
(3 days and nights stayed awake to do this)

This is: Cg Society Hand (http://oi48.tinypic.com/2aj2irc.jpg)
Description:
"Cg-Society Keep Up (Top) For 10 years"
"Cg-Society is Number 1"

I know Have problem But I wont Just Did this for thanks to Cg-Society!

SeanHong
01-15-2013, 02:03 AM
Dear friends here:)
I wanna ask is it still not the right time to submit the challenge final work to 2D Illustration and Concept Art gallery? Because after I tried, the work is rejected by the forum~

Thanks

adib
01-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Dear friends here:)
I wanna ask is it still not the right time to submit the challenge final work to 2D Illustration and Concept Art gallery? Because after I tried, the work is rejected by the forum~

Thanks

Hi,the challenge is close, see the link

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/

All the best

Morris-3D
01-18-2013, 09:19 PM
can i ask when results will announce ?!

MikeHepburn
01-22-2013, 12:32 AM
can i ask when results will announce ?!

Hi Morris,

I'm hoping to get the results by early next week, but there are never any guarantees as the judging process may take longer.

Cheers

SeanHong
01-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi,the challenge is close, see the link

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/

All the best
thank you for replying〜
but what i wanna know is whether it is okay to publish my final image in the 2D gallery?
I tried but denied by forum, so i wanna ask〜

MikeHepburn
01-31-2013, 01:08 AM
thank you for replying〜
but what i wanna know is whether it is okay to publish my final image in the 2D gallery?
I tried but denied by forum, so i wanna ask〜

Hi, yes you can submit to the Gallery. Publishing it there is up to the Forum Leaders.

Good luck

MikeHepburn
01-31-2013, 01:09 AM
Hi all,

I still haven't got the results from a few judges. Putting pressure on them to send their votes in.

Results are too close to call at the moment.

Will keep you all in the loop.

Cheers, Mike

fbuchanan
02-05-2013, 03:58 AM
I've looked through the profiles of all the judges and I know they must be very busy individuals; but please finish it up. That said, I want to thank everyone at CGSociety that put this contest together, donated prizes, time, energy, etc. It's been fun. The little kid in me keeps asking, "Are we there yet?"

MikeHepburn
02-05-2013, 05:22 AM
I've looked through the profiles of all the judges and I know they must be very busy individuals; but please finish it up. That said, I want to thank everyone at CGSociety that put this contest together, donated prizes, time, energy, etc. It's been fun. The little kid in me keeps asking, "Are we there yet?"

LOL, I totally concur. I'm happy to say that we are almost at an end, with some luck I'll be able to finalise everything within the next day or 2.

Thanks for your patience!!!

adib
02-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Yes If I have patience 3 months to do my work,a few weeks dosn t metter.:)
All the best guys!

PaulHellard
02-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Hey there!

After such a huge CGChallenge XXVII, the TEN Winners are finally being shown. Click through to the article and tell your colleagues about this as well. The creators of these animations and images are true champions.

http://bit.ly/Y46vPj

Congratulations to you all

mmoir
02-11-2013, 01:06 AM
Yes , Congratulations to all the winners.

victorior
02-11-2013, 01:39 AM
Congratulation to all and all the winner, I was really enjoyed in this competition and we made it!! Cheers and thanks! ^^

InTerceptoV
02-11-2013, 03:55 AM
Congrats to all Winner, it was really fun to participate in this competition.

adib
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Congruatulations to all!
All the best!

DFrymus
02-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Congratulation , but ....movie "District 10" should be disqualified .
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=348&t=1093288

This is not fair . It is a deception .

MikeHepburn
02-11-2013, 10:28 PM

Hi, thanks for the info. We are looking into this now.

MikeHepburn
02-12-2013, 12:03 AM

Hi,
The mentioned video has been disqualified.

We spend ages vetting all the entries, but unfortunately this one slipped through our fingers. We rely on the community for their diligence and sense of fairness.