PDA

View Full Version : Pulldownit 2.0 released

DynamicBoy
10-09-2012, 09:31 PM
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab83/cpegar/pictures%20v%202/dominoesCompoWeb.jpg

Pulldownit 2 comes with more shatter styles, easier little debris generation on fracture, improved UI and
many more. See Technical reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf4Y3aekmI0&feature=plcp

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab83/cpegar/pictures%20v%202/ShatterStylesWeb.jpg

New Jagginess deformer allows to modify the surface of the fragments, converting flat geometry into rough
faces and twisted edges, getting a high-realistic look for stucco, stone or concrete materials.

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab83/cpegar/pictures%20v%202/jaggyVsPlanarWeb.jpg

New features demo for Maya:
https://vimeo.com/50945256

New features demo for 3D MAX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJzL7mOgcWA&feature=plcp

Hope you like this new release, we have made a great effort to get it ready,

www.pulldownit.com (http://www.pulldownit.com)

cheers!

jesped
10-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Hey Carlos, the new features look really great! :thumbsup:

Per-Anders
10-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Looks great. Good luck with it!

DynamicBoy
10-10-2012, 01:54 AM
thanks guys, you can play with free version to taste the power of this release, nice to hear from you Jesus.

leif3d
10-10-2012, 05:51 PM
I think you missed a site link or at least a download link.

Also, is there a linux installer? I only see a floating license installer for linux.
If not, can we bake the solves for export? How about alembic?

Just trying to see how I could use it with Rman.
I'm actually starting a project that's dynamics heavy and this looks very interesting.

DynamicBoy
10-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I have added the link to pulldownit site to the news, thanks for your suggestion.

There is a maya linux demo version on the dowload page, you have to follow docs/installMayaLinux.txt to get it working.

Pulldownit is fully integrated with Maya, after baking keys click on export alembic menu and thats all.

Same for renderMan, once you have baked keys, clean pdi data and you get a standard maya scene that you can transfern, render, ans so on.

leif3d
10-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks so much for the info.

hkspowers
10-10-2012, 08:33 PM
The new features look great! I really like the added detail for the interior faces and the ability to do so after the fact. Very nice!

DynamicBoy
10-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi James, how you going at DD? congratulations for your new job, adding jagginess after computing is quite time-saving and in this way you can play with it freely, but you can add it also in advance, whatever you prefer. New local shattering is also amazing to generate little debris on destruction, just try it and let me know your feelings, Im interesting on it.

joshfilms
10-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Looks awesome! Wish it was being released for Cinema 4D too :).

hkspowers
10-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Hi James, how you going at DD? congratulations for your new job, adding jagginess after computing is quite time-saving and in this way you can play with it freely, but you can add it also in advance, whatever you prefer. New local shattering is also amazing to generate little debris on destruction, just try it and let me know your feelings, Im interesting on it.

Hi Carlos, things are going well thanks for the kind words! :) I'll need to download the latest version for 2013 this weekend and give it a go. I'll let you know what I think! I'm really interested in the wood splinters and also the localized destruction, I was kind of doing that in the last version by hand by re-shattering of pieces so this will be a huge time saver to add quick detail! Keep up the awesome work! :beer:

untelon
10-12-2012, 08:03 PM
We use pulldownit here at CBS Digital and is a quick way of getting a lot of good effects done. Good luck. - Jim

DynamicBoy
10-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi Jim, thanks for the kind words, I remember you did a kind of Tron legacy teaser using Pdi with lots of fragments, is possible to see it somewhere?

thanks for your kind words, good luck for you aswell

-heavy-
10-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Hey DBoy =]
looks promising especially localShatter is a great improvment for detailing.
is there a way to make localization some kind of interactively ?

...so we can bind the localizer on to other objects ?

for example one can use particles shooting on a wall. Where the particles hit
there should be more detailed destruction.. if we can connect that localizer
to particlePosition one can test and watch where localization happens.
As it looks on the Videos - we have to cache the sim, check where interaction
happens and set local shattering for that areas.. ?!

DynamicBoy
10-16-2012, 09:47 PM
That is an interesting sugestion Heavy, we will study to implement something like this, at this moment the tipical workflow with Pdi is you animate and object to impact the structure and then you move the pivot of the structure towards the impact area to create more fragments in this area using local shatter, after that you can reshatter the structure in other areas if you want more impacts or whatever

leif3d
02-04-2013, 11:11 PM
So we bough a floating license, but we're encountering several problems.

1)First of all the license is not really floating..
You're floating licenses are tied to an OS, so I can't float one license with multiple computers on a network if they have different OS's. In out case we have linux, OSX and windows maya machines on our network.
All other software (maya, renderman, etc...) have a license server application that manages licenses across a network. This is pretty standard.
The fact that you're advertising it as such is very strange.

2)You need to have an internet connection always active for the plugin license to float?
Again, very non standard procedure.

3)I would post this in the official forums, but it won't let me start new threads and sometimes it locks me out...

4) Most of this information is not disclosed upfront, but in the official docs after purchase.

Right now we have an OSX floating license which is worthless to us, because we need to use this license on a windows and linux machine on different work shifts.
We just purchased the OSX floating license thinking it was a license server like any other license out there, but it's not, it's essentially a node locked license that shifts computers through an internet connection.

The software looks great, but this is not the transaction I expected. Pretty disappointing.

DynamicBoy
02-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Hi Leif,

Pdi floating licenses are diferent for diferent systems becouse developing for windows, macos or linux involves diferent computers, tools and people. We think this is pretty clear in our shop as being diferent products per system and honestly is first time someone complaints about it.

In fact Autodesk licenses Maya as a diferent product for windows, mac and linux, maybe you use the same license for all of them but the license for all systems is for sure more expensive than the license for just one.

So you purchased a pdi floating license for macos and this is what you got, I understand your issue and you can solve it very easilly, just purchasing additional licenses for linux and windows:)

Please contact thinkinetic by email, we are glad to help you to solve this issue, but this is not the right place

regards,

leif3d
02-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Hi Leif,

Pdi floating licenses are diferent for diferent systems becouse developing for windows, macos or linux involves diferent computers, tools and people. We think this is pretty clear in our shop as being diferent products per system and honestly is first time someone complaints about it.

That's why you offer node locked licenses for different operating systems, and that's why you are charging significantly more for a floating license which should float across a network, not tie it down to a OS.

In fact Autodesk licenses Maya as a diferent product for windows, mac and linux,
No, you're wrong. Maya is sold independent of OS.

maybe you use the same license for all of them but the license for all systems is for sure more expensive than the license for just one.
No, you're wrong, it's the same price.
The only license that's more expensive is the floating license, which is also OS independent.

A Maya license is available for all three major OS with any purchase. It's never tied down.
When you buy a floating license you install a license server application that manages any number of licenses across a network of maya installs independent of OS. This has been this way forever.

So you purchased a pdi floating license for macos and this is what you got, I understand your issue and you can solve it very easilly, just purchasing additional licenses for linux and windows:)

I purchased a floating license for MacOS thinking it followed any other floating license standard, like that of maya or renderman for example where you have a license server.
In the shop it clearly says the license can be used with any machine, it never specifies that it is tied to that OS.

Please contact thinkinetic by email, we are glad to help you to solve this issue, but this is not the right place

regards,
Like I said, I was going to post on the forums but I can't start new threads with my account for some reason.

The main point here is that you guys seem to be oblivious (thinking positively here...) of standard floating license practices for maya.
The way you have it now, if a network has 3 computers with 3 different OS's I have to buy 3 different floating licenses...what's the point then, might as well buy 3 node locked licenses.

It's strange no one else has had this problem really.

DynamicBoy
02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, looking at Autodesk store,

http://store.autodesk.com

aparently maya is sold as diferent products per OS, this happens with all software I know, specially many of the tools we have to license for our own products and marketing charges diferent per OS, and of course we have to license each OS itself.

Floating licenses arent listed in autodesk store, but Im quite sure they charge you more for being system independent.

Thinkinetic products are diferent per platform and OS, single licenses are node locked, floating licenses can be installed in any machine with same OS and platform. Im sure they dont try to cheat anybody about it, this is clearly said in the shop, you say you purchased pulldownit floating for macos and this is what you can read in the shop:

"Pulldownit Pro FLT MAC - Maya MACOS Floating

Pulldownit Pro for Maya 2013,2012, 2011 MAC OS X floating license. Official users guide included.
One floating license can be used in any machine with as much as one user at the same time, you need and active internet connection while using the plugin. Contact marketing@pulldownit.com if you need more info."

can you read it works in windows anywhere? sure not.

I think you got it wrong for some reason and the product you purchased is not enough for your needs, you have to contact thinkinetic by email or using the contact form in the web, sure they will try to find the best solution for you

leif3d
02-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Well, looking at Autodesk store,

http://store.autodesk.com

aparently maya is sold as diferent products per OS, this happens with all software I know, specially many of the tools we have to license for our own products and marketing charges diferent per OS, and of course we have to license each OS itself.

Are you joking? Maya is not sold dependent of OS. It never has...
What you're seeing in the store is just a drop down to give you the proper download link after the purchase, but you can go to your account and download any OS version.
In fact, Maya comes with a license transfer utility as part of the software which allows you to change the license to any computer with any OS at any time without limits.
Do you even own any copy of an autodesk product? because if you would, you would be clearly acquainted with the proper licensing terms.

Floating licenses arent listed in autodesk store, but Im quite sure they charge you more for being system independent.
You're incredible. Of course it's not on their site, you have to contact a reseller.
I can't believe you have such primitive knowledge of autodesk licensing while providing autodesk products.
A maya floating license is completely OS free, it's installed on a license server which deals licenses to maya computers independent of OS.
The fact that you're so oblivious of this is downright insulting.

Thinkinetic products are diferent per platform and OS, single licenses are node locked, floating licenses can be installed in any machine with same OS and platform. Im sure they dont try to cheat anybody about it, this is clearly said in the shop, you say you purchased pulldownit floating for macos and this is what you can read in the shop:

"Pulldownit Pro FLT MAC - Maya MACOS Floating

Pulldownit Pro for Maya 2013,2012, 2011 MAC OS X floating license. Official users guide included.
One floating license can be used in any machine with as much as one user at the same time, you need and active internet connection while using the plugin. Contact marketing@pulldownit.com if you need more info."

can you read it works in windows anywhere? sure not.

You people are unbelievable. A floating license doesn't work that way.
I've already contacted my reseller and he will take care of this problem, because apparently this is way too hard for you people.

I think you got it wrong for some reason and the product you purchased is not enough for your needs, you have to contact thinkinetic by email or using the contact form in the web, sure they will try to find the best solution for you
The problem here is that the advertising is either misleading or apparently made up by a bunch of people that are ignorant of standard practices in licensing for the last decade.
Either way it's unacceptable.

DynamicBoy
02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
This is my personal account Leif, as I work at thinkinetic I tell you what I know, but I do not represent Thinkinetic in this forum just myself, you have to contact them directly, hope you solve the issue, cheers

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.