PDA

View Full Version : Sasquatch full question

Rabid pitbull
12-04-2003, 03:18 PM
I am looking at buying a license of the well known plugin. I am certain that it will be very much improved over the teaser version in LW now when features are concerned. I wonder if there is any improvement in render speed though. Having a preview window must speed up the setup, any other overlooked features that improve workflow??

Thanks for the input!

Jonathan
12-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Well I guess the one plus is the number of strands you can have. I'm really not sure what the difference is. I bought Sasquatch at the same time I bought Lightwave 6. At the time it didn't support sub_D surfaces, could only be used in layer 1 and couldn't be seen through transpearent surfaces. When I think back on where it was and where it is now, I have to say that Steve Worley made incredible strides with the plugin. I can't wait for sasquatch 2.0. That is one of my next purchases for sure.

I've never used saslite. Never really needed to.

But don't take my word for it. Have a looksee. I just finished this hair physics test render today. The character animation was done in Messiah:Animate 4 and I used the Lightwave Motion Designer to animate the hair so that I could save it exclusively.
614kb quicktime Sorenson (http://www.btinternet.com/~jonathan.west3/images/hair.mov)

Rabid pitbull
12-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks for replying Jonathan. I am really looking forward to using the full version, and am very close to placing an order. I was just wondering if there is a speed increase at all.

As for sas 2.0, I am a little disappointed that I will need to pay for an upgrade unless it is released within a month of buying it. This I know from an e-mail from worley labs. Oh well I guess I should have got the plugin sooner.
:hmm:

Jonathan
12-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Okay Pit, I just tested it on that same character. I had to use the default settings since there aren't enough fields in saslite to duplicate the settings. It's is definitely faster.

Here are the numbers.

2.4 ghz p4
1 gig ram
win2k
Lightwave 7.5

153346 polys total scene.
18859 hair polys, Long Hair strands rendered
Low AA Lightwave
Level 2 AA Sasquatch.
Shadows off
res 640 x 480

Saslite render time = 24.7 secs
Sasquatch Full Render time = 18 secs.

Yeah, the numbers speak for themselves. So there is definitely a benefit speed wise.

hrgiger
12-04-2003, 07:34 PM
I'm selling mine for $400 if you're interested. Anyone interested can email me at swhite8018@wideopenwest.com I'd love to keep it but I need the money more right now....

Rabid pitbull
12-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Thanks Jonathan for the extra effort. Good to here this news too! Faster is a definite plus!

Hrgiger, does worley allow a license transfer?? I didnt think they could. Isn't the license tied to the dongle like other plugins??

Dr Dardis
12-05-2003, 02:23 AM
One of the best things about sasquatch is the support. The two Steve's are very fast to get back about any problems, from licensing to more sinister (bugs). They are great and genuinely helpful. I reported a bug that was holding me up, sent them a demo scene, and they squashed it and sent me a recompiled plugin within a day! I don't know who else would do that, considering I am not even a beta tester.

but the plugin kicks ass as well, especially compared to the stripped down version. Where to start....? they are completely different. I have never done long hair, but have done lots of fur, an once you learn it, it opens up new vistas. Might be good for Rabid pitbulls, no?

my 2 cents (AUD)

the Doc.

hrgiger
12-05-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Rabid pitbull
Thanks Jonathan for the extra effort. Good to here this news too! Faster is a definite plus!

Hrgiger, does worley allow a license transfer?? I didnt think they could. Isn't the license tied to the dongle like other plugins??

It is tied to the dongle, however, I emailed Worley and there are two ways you can do it.

1. Swap dongles with the buyer.

2. I could order a new dongle from Newtek and Worley would simply not issue me a new registration for my new dongle and issue it instead to the buyers dongle.

I would do the latter because I want to upgrade to the USB dongle anyway.

Swhite8018@wideopenwest.com if anyone's interested. Somebody offered to buy it from me the other day but I'm still waiting to hear back from them so it's still available.

Facial Deluxe
12-05-2003, 05:51 AM
I would love to see a completely integrated Sasquach within LW. A bit like what Joe Alter did for XSI.
Now there is that edit spline hair plug for modeler, looks good. Would be even better if we could access the hair creation data from Layout, in order to animate them...

CourtJester
12-05-2003, 01:55 PM
One main speed-related benefit to Sasquatch full version is the ability to use effectors to vary hair parameters over distance, a huge plus for grass. I've built settings for Sas that give me good-looking grass and scrub that extend to considerable distances, yet still yield acceptable render times.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.