PDA

View Full Version : Weapon modeling: Line or extrude Polygons?

BergB
12-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Hi,

I would like to know what method - in your opinion - is the best to model a (low poly) weapon?

Drawing the outline of the weapon with the line tool and extruding it or build the weapon with extruding polygons to form it?

Cannon454
12-04-2003, 03:52 PM
My normal work flow for mid and low level polly modeling for wepons is either starting with a cub or a cylinder and working out. using extrude edge, face, and flip (in that order). to get the basic shape.

I am a nut about control and often feel like I can't control the polly count on an extrude at the same level if I had built each polly by hand.

Also, don't be shy... delete messy faces and edges as need and build you own....

rockon :bounce:

Sentenza
12-04-2003, 05:12 PM
I would prefer to draw the outline of the weapon as ... oh ... hhm ... let's say a kind of a spline-control-cage or so. But then I do not use it to go further with the model process ... It's just a reference ... Then I started with a cube or whatever primitive matches your needs and refine it with the extrude face tools and all the other possibilities ...
For me I have to agree with Cannon454. I find it often really too tough to really control that great amount of polys which is created when you extrude the polyface in one direction an then start to move your vertices ...
This leads me often to a point where I have say ... Ohh ... think I have to remodel this stuff !!!
But hey ... that's just my approach ... don't let others influence your will to experient ... :D

Texan
12-07-2003, 12:58 AM
Personally i like to box model my weapons but there are times when a shape i need to draw out with the line tool and extrude it . You'll find a way you like to model the best

O and here is a great box modeling tut for weapons http://www.ran3d.com/tutorials/galil/galil01.asp

Have a good day and happy modeling :buttrock:

-Texan

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.