PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the WETA fire techniques?


Jag Panzer
12-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Hello (first post here),

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the WETA (Lord of the Rings) fire techniques in Lightwave?

Link to technique here:
http://www.zeepost.nl/~ninjadodo/tutorials/firetut.html

It sounds straight forward, but I haven't tried it. I actually won't have time to try it for about 6 weeks (hot deadline on a project).

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this?

Thanks

Mark

Kvaalen
12-04-2003, 06:55 PM
I didn't read throught the whole tutorial, but many people have used images on sprites to create effects such as smoke, magic particles, bubbles and more.

What I found funny is "CG fire usually has a soft look to it that you can spot straightaway" when I must admit something looks fake about that fire. :)

Jonathan
12-04-2003, 07:25 PM
Yeah I created fire like that from a tutorial back with Lightwave 6 using hypervoxels. It was just in form however. Still, a multitude of attributes could have been added to it to weild it into whatever I wanted.

Infinity3d4life
12-04-2003, 11:05 PM
i Tried it out once, but i never followed this tutorial.. i might give it another go if i can apply these same techniques to LWave.. Maybe Splinegod will chime in and try this one... HINT HINT..

HowardM
12-04-2003, 11:43 PM
or maybe load the fire that comes with PFX/HVs and tweak to perfection?
:)
LW's fire looks a hell (no pun) of alot better than that tutorials!

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 01:47 AM
Putting fire on cards is totally doable in LW. You can use actual geometry with textures attached to particles or Fire sequences mapped onto HV sprites.
You an model in some geometry in or around a gash or opening in the balrog for example and make that a particle emitter.
you can also simply generate HVs on an object surface directly and map fire clips to the HVs.
Ive created sequences with particle illusion that I mapped onto HV sprites that way. It worked fine.
The trick is to be given lots of money and time to pull it off at the level they did in LOTR. :)

Mechis
12-05-2003, 02:30 AM
So do the images of the fire on the particles streak or something? Could someone explain how do the sprites combine into one big fire? The pics make it look like each sprite has a fire image and then somehow they all combine together in the next pic! I don't understand how they combined...
Thanks!

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Mechis
So do the images of the fire on the particles streak or something? Could someone explain how do the sprites combine into one big fire? The pics make it look like each sprite has a fire image and then somehow they all combine together in the next pic! I don't understand how they combined...
Thanks!
Hypervoxels will blob together. The image sequances on them would blend together as well. I believe that you can have the image sequences on each HV start at different places in their sequence.

Mechis
12-05-2003, 08:43 AM
So am I right in thinking that the images are additive, which makes the areas where the hypervoxels are more concentrated (the bottom) brighter than the areas where the hypervoxels are less concentrated (the top)?
Thanks for the info

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Mechis
So am I right in thinking that the images are additive, which makes the areas where the hypervoxels are more concentrated (the bottom) brighter than the areas where the hypervoxels are less concentrated (the top)?
Thanks for the info

Theres some very interesting things that can be done with HV sprites, procedurals and a wee bit too much time on ones hands... :) Like THIS (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/fibers.avi)

Mechis
12-05-2003, 09:50 AM
nice. It looks like I ought to learn how to use hypervoxels, eh?

btw- was I right about the fire sprites being additive? Just curious...

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Mechis
nice. It looks like I ought to learn how to use hypervoxels, eh?

btw- was I right about the fire sprites being additive? Just curious...
Yes and Yes :)

Mechis
12-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Hah. Thanks Splinegod.

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 10:39 AM
No problem :)

Ed Bittner
12-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Larry, check this out,
I did this Balrog test using that technique.( Just a "proof-of- concept really).
Ed

Vash The Stampe
12-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Ed Bittner
Larry, check this out,
I did this Balrog test using that technique.( Just a "proof-of- concept really).
Ed

wow! my balrog/moria mines models :beer:
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.. but.. I'm sooooo happy to see them!! :applause:

anyway, nice picture!

:wavey:
bye bye
vash
love&peace

SplineGod
12-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanks Ed Ill check it out. :)

Ed Bittner
12-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Yup,
Vash! You're alive! They're yours. Used 'em for this fire test. (Although the Balrog has undergone extensive revision). Where's your Orthanc?
Ed

Vash The Stampe
12-06-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Ed Bittner
Yup,
Vash! You're alive! They're yours. Used 'em for this fire test. (Although the Balrog has undergone extensive revision). Where's your Orthanc?
Ed

ehmm.. :argh: detroyed by ents :shrug: :bounce:

sorry, but I've no time for lightwave in this period.. but with christmas.. and maybe with lw8.. all will be possibile :thumbsup:

vash
love&peace

SplineGod
12-06-2003, 03:16 AM
Hey Ed,
Thats pretty good. That could look very cool with some tweaks.:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.