PDA

View Full Version : Vray for Maya - Ambient Occlusion greyed out?

phifehinds
10-07-2012, 05:54 AM
So it took me quite a bit of searching on how to turn ambient occlusion on in the render globals for Vray in Maya.

I used this mel script: setAttr "vraySettings.aoOn" 1;

But now the question is why? Why does Vray grey it out? It seems like no matter what I turn off and on its always greyed out, is there a reason for this?

FY
10-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Ambient Occlusion in the Indirect Lighting tab is linked to GI. If you want to get classical AO you can use the Vraydirt map in your shaders or you render out an extra texture renderlayer with a vraydirt and blend it over your beauty pass in comp.

FranciscoSCN
10-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Which begs the question: why does V-Ray have an Ambient Occlusion option in the GI tab? Isn't the whole AO pass a cheat for a cheap GI effect?

Doesn't the AO darkness effect get solved naturally by regular GI methods? That is, by using regular GI, we shouldn't even need an AO pass, as the GI calculations are more physically correct right?

Rens
10-17-2012, 03:34 PM
AO for GI is there to have the option of bringing back small details which might be missed by for instance irradiance mapping, as it usually blurs the samples quite a bit. It's not perfect but for a lot of situations it's enough to bring back some detail, and you can lower the GI settings as well.

CGTalk Moderation
10-17-2012, 03:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.