PDA

View Full Version : 3D-Coat 4.0 beta released

philnolan3d
10-07-2012, 01:43 AM
http://www.3d-coat.com/files/Splash4.png

The 3D-Coat team has been working it's way towards version 4.0 in huge ways and on October 1st the 4.0 beta has finally been released. In fact since then two additional beta updates have been released.

The download and updates can be found here:
http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10395&st=0

You may use this beta as an unlimited 30 day trial as well. You may need to look under Edit > Preferences and check the box "Show Beta Tools" in order to get the latest features.

New features include:

A new interface with many options for displaying icons, text, or both and menus that can now can be dragged and move with momentum so you can just toss them up or down.
Painting directly on voxel models
Live Clay tools that allow sculpting with real time decimation on polygonal models.
New retopology tools, such as Extrude, which make it possible to do polygonal modeling in the Retopology room.
New tools for creating and closing large holes in meshes (Perfect for 3D scanning)
Ghosting of layers, which locks them but they can still be seen transparently.
Export to Collada (.dae), file type.
And much much more!
3D-Coat is also now available in the Steam store with a 10% off discount (Until October 9th so hurry!):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/100980/

Purchases made during or after August will receive a free upgrade to version 4.0!

Bullit
10-07-2012, 12:04 PM
I think i ask same thing everytime sculpting app upgrades, how easy is it hard edge modeling with 3Dcoat?

philnolan3d
10-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Quite easy. I did a tutorial on sculpting, retopo, and texturing an Uzi in June 2011's 3D World mag (issue 143). Much of it is done with booleans and slicing off bits to create a hard edge, but certainly there are plenty of other tools for flattening, pinching, etc. One thing that can help is brushing on decimation in spots where you don't need so many polys.

This sculpture was done with lots of hard surfaces in 3DC. He says everything was done in 3D-Coat from sketch to final render:
http://3d-coat.com/screenshots/g2data/albums/3dcoat2/MechaBorg.jpg

He wrote a PDF tutorial that goes over many of the techniques used, though on a different model. You can also find this in the tutorials section of the 3DC website.
http://pilgway.com/files/manual_pdf/3dcoat_workbook_part1.pdf

ambient-whisper
10-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Are there videos of what is new? That is something I really like about pixologic. they make videos to illustrate new features so that you can be aware about how they work.

philnolan3d
10-07-2012, 10:20 PM
There will be videos when it's released I'm sure. I don't know if there re any
"feature videos " per se right now during the beta. However there are a lot of tutorial and other videos, many added recently on the official YouTube page as well as many free tutorial videos on the 3DC site and forum.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PILGWAY3DCoat

http://3d-coat.com/tutorial/free-tutorial/

Bullit
10-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks Phil.

philnolan3d
10-08-2012, 04:51 AM
By the way you can also find a lot of new features and videos as they're created on Raul's blog. Raul handles all of the LiveClay related tools.

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/

TerryWu
10-08-2012, 09:26 AM
3D-Coat is also now available in the Steam store with a 10% off discount (Until October 9th so hurry!):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/100980/

Purchases made during or after August will receive a free upgrade to version 4.0!

Hi Phil,

Does the free upgrade apply to the non-professional version as well?

Thanks

philnolan3d
10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
The website says in several places that you will get a free upgrade if you buy now. On the purchasing page it specifically says.

Everyone who buys 3D-Coat V3 in October 2012 will obtain free upgrade to 3D-Coat V4 !

So it sounds like that goes for every version to me.

There is more info on the Buy Now (http://3d-coat.com/buy-now/) page.

TerryWu
10-08-2012, 03:23 PM
The website says in several places that you will get a free upgrade if you buy now. On the purchasing page it specifically says.

Everyone who buys 3D-Coat V3 in October 2012 will obtain free upgrade to 3D-Coat V4 !

So it sounds like that goes for every version to me.

There is more info on the Buy Now (http://3d-coat.com/buy-now/) page.

Thanks Phil :)

philnolan3d
10-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Another thing to note is that while there is no official release date the line I quoted above seems to imply that v4 will be out by the end of October.

colkai
10-11-2012, 10:43 AM
For those of us with V3, any idea of the upgrade cost to V4?

philnolan3d
10-11-2012, 09:26 PM
No real price has been stated yet but considering the upgrade from 2 to 3 is only $60 I don't think it will be a lot more than that, maybe between $60 and $80.

Edit: Beta 4 is now out, but Andrew is going on vacation with his family for 2 weeks so this will be the last update until after he gets back.

TIMMYLYNN
10-12-2012, 04:42 AM
that's one reason i've decided against this app. the competition has yet to charge an upgrade fee. that alone is reason for anyone considering this to go with the competitor in my opinion as all the apps that i use have implemented GoZ...i realize your app has connezion or whatever but like the other statements made they offer more support and more tutorials. i really debated over the price difference and which one was best and after much thought i have decided against this app. it's kinda like what's goin on politically, you can try and talk it up, you know like salespeople do, but the work speaks for should speak for itself...by the way if your old enough please exercise your freedom to vote and vote. if you hate lines and are busy you can early vote starting sometime this month i think some states have already started and totally avoid any crowd...and again i hate to dog this software but i saw a video the other day where a guy domenstrated the difference in the sculpting tools in z and hex and i didn't even know hex has sculpting tools...lol and it is free from daz3d for now.

philnolan3d
10-12-2012, 05:53 AM
While I will agree yes, zb is offering free updates for now, I just want to be clear that 3DC offers free updates with new features almost on a bi-weekly basis with a pretty fair upgrade price every few years. I've been using 3DC since 2007 and still haven't paid anywhere near what zb costs. I'm no salesman, just a user and a fan. Just sharing with people who might be interested.

Veehoy
10-12-2012, 07:58 AM
that's one reason i've decided against this app. the competition has yet to charge an upgrade fee. that alone is reason for anyone considering this to go with the competitor in my opinion as all the apps that i use have implemented GoZ...
Sorry, but if you are under the impression that Pixologic's upgrade policies represents the norm that other companies aim for ( or should aim for) you' re WAY off. Most companies charge for whole version upgrades (like between 3 and 4, which is the case here).....and considering the development that has been done during the v3 cycle (LiveClay, amongst other things) a $60-$80 upgrade fee is NOT a lot of money....

colkai
10-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Agreed,
If one looks at how much is provided in the multiple point releases to 3D coat, to be honest, $60 for a full level upgrade is not, by any means, unreasonable.

DutchDimension
10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Agreed,
If one looks at how much is provided in the multiple point releases to 3D coat, to be honest, $60 for a full level upgrade is not, by any means, unreasonable.

That's still 60 times more expensive than ZBrush though. ;)

ultramedia
10-12-2012, 02:22 PM
only if you ignore the "slight" difference in cost for the original purchase.

csutcliffe
10-12-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm zbrush through & through & 3dcoat just didn't feel right. Having said that I don't think you can question the price which would be good value for just the retopology tools by themselves!

What's the voxel sculpting performance like nowadays on a non cuda card - it was pretty lousy last time I checked but that was a couple of versions ago.

philnolan3d
10-12-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm zbrush through & through & 3dcoat just didn't feel right. Having said that I don't think you can question the price which would be good value for just the retopology tools by themselves!

What's the voxel sculpting performance like nowadays on a non cuda card - it was pretty lousy last time I checked but that was a couple of versions ago.

I'd say it's pretty good, especially considering all of the LiveClay tools that automatically keep the poly count low as you work. If you like you can even work entirely in Surface mode and work at a fairly low res all the time, only adding more polys where needed and using tools like the Decimation brush can keep it low as well. Of course stuff like that is only for extreme situations like working on an older laptop.

Buexe
10-12-2012, 10:06 PM
I have ha 3d coat since version 1 and paid for upgrades twice, so the total I spent on this is about 240 $ and I have been using it for years on different machines and they never bothered me with any license file crap. BTW, I tried the retoplogly tool in zbrush the other day and it just doesnt compare to 3d coat ( yet ).

DavidFenner
10-15-2012, 09:42 PM
I find new versions of 3d-coat to be really satisfying, specially for design and concepts. It's simply the program that allows the most flexibility when sculpting, and it's very very forgiving, you can always go back, erase geometry, add more, without the subdivision limitations (like in zbrush that you can't add a mesh after it has subdiv levels). Zbrush is better for fine surface control (specially hard surface), and the deformation tools are amazing, but on pure designing, i prefer 3d-coat just because of how forgiving and flexible it is, then I export to zbrush only if I need to refine my sculpt.

TIMMYLYNN
10-19-2012, 04:33 PM
i realize most people posting on this thread are Avid supporters of 3dc and i am only posting my opinion after MUCH research into both apps. 3dc is only a couple hundred cheaper and the person who develops this really pushes that as a plus!!! but i've watched demo videos and actually used both apps to do morphs and the competitor is way more responsive to morphing and sculpting than this one. i even viewed a video where one the guy was 'attempting' to do a poser morph and it was 'not good' and he became obviously frustrated and ended the tutorial rather abruptly with 'well there you have it'...i was less than impressed to be nice about it. my post is for people like me who are thinking on both apps and trying to decide which to get as they, this developer and his disciples, tout this to be as good or better than the other app while there are others who say each has its strengths and weaknesses. i am posting this for people who are trying to decide on ONE OR THE OTHER. the OTHER is definitely the best deal and all my OTHER APPS are incorporating GOZ. this says tons to me. now this developer and his disciples, of course claim this app to be just as good for way cheaper which is malarky and they claim the other guys are just good marketers. i have to agree with the majority that the other app is best when comparing the 2 and trying to decide on ONE OR THE OTHER. again i realize and respect that 3dc may have an awesome retopology tool but so does SILO and how old is that???

so in conclusion for anyone thinking of buying 3dc or z and can't decide...based on my research and my opinion you'd be much better off paying 'a little extra' and getting the pro tools. thanks for reading my opinion and i hope it helps someone else make the 'right' decision, especially in these hard economic times we are in. and saying that more apps are going free...to bring this up hexagon is free and i never heard it mentioned as a sculpting tool but there are actually sculpting tools in hexagon and it is completely 'FREE' as of now at Daz3d.com. if you google you can find a video of this guy comparing z to hex with sculpting tools which totally blew me away. the hex morphs looked about like the 3dc morphs. so if you want to 'give' this guy your money do it but if you want morphs as good just go on over to daz3d and download hexagon 2.5 for FREE and use their sculpting tools.

have a great weekend...

philnolan3d
10-19-2012, 05:03 PM
I'd just suggest that anyone interested download the free trials of softwares and try them out for themselves.

DavidFenner
10-20-2012, 02:22 PM
i realize most people posting on this thread are Avid supporters of 3dc and i am only posting my opinion after MUCH research into both apps. 3dc is only a couple hundred cheaper and the person who develops this really pushes that as a plus!!! but i've watched demo videos and actually used both apps to do morphs and the competitor is way more responsive to morphing and sculpting than this one. i even viewed a video where one the guy was 'attempting' to do a poser morph and it was 'not good' and he became obviously frustrated and ended the tutorial rather abruptly with 'well there you have it'...i was less than impressed to be nice about it. my post is for people like me who are thinking on both apps and trying to decide which to get as they, this developer and his disciples, tout this to be as good or better than the other app while there are others who say each has its strengths and weaknesses. i am posting this for people who are trying to decide on ONE OR THE OTHER. the OTHER is definitely the best deal and all my OTHER APPS are incorporating GOZ. this says tons to me. now this developer and his disciples, of course claim this app to be just as good for way cheaper which is malarky and they claim the other guys are just good marketers. i have to agree with the majority that the other app is best when comparing the 2 and trying to decide on ONE OR THE OTHER. again i realize and respect that 3dc may have an awesome retopology tool but so does SILO and how old is that???

so in conclusion for anyone thinking of buying 3dc or z and can't decide...based on my research and my opinion you'd be much better off paying 'a little extra' and getting the pro tools. thanks for reading my opinion and i hope it helps someone else make the 'right' decision, especially in these hard economic times we are in. and saying that more apps are going free...to bring this up hexagon is free and i never heard it mentioned as a sculpting tool but there are actually sculpting tools in hexagon and it is completely 'FREE' as of now at Daz3d.com. if you google you can find a video of this guy comparing z to hex with sculpting tools which totally blew me away. the hex morphs looked about like the 3dc morphs. so if you want to 'give' this guy your money do it but if you want morphs as good just go on over to daz3d and download hexagon 2.5 for FREE and use their sculpting tools.

have a great weekend...

Hmm... You seem to be comparing apps based on Morphs :S . I also believe Zbrush is the app that you "can do everything in", while 3d-coat lacks a few things here and there. For me, Zbrush is better for a production environment and only in sculpting. 3d-coat has better and more features for painting, and for doodling and concepting characters is also faster and more flexible than zbrush. This based on personal experiencie with both programs. Not even mudbox has the same painting feature set than 3d-coat. Why I say it's faster for doodling and concepting? because it is a permanent dynamesh with no limitation of suvdivision levels. You can erase, reconstruct, paste, reduce or add geometry locally even if you are in the highest level of detail, no need to "erase subdivision levels" like in zbrush if suddenly you want to add an ear to your high poly sculpt, for example. You can get to amazing details with fewer polygons also, thanks to "liveclay" which is similar to sculptris, and it's the only program that you can keep working after heavy decimation, since liveclay doesn't care about geometry stretching or triangles. In zbrush you would have to do a dynamesh or retopo to keep adding detail after decimation, since subdividing a decimated mesh to add more detail would be impossible. 3d-coat is similar to sculptris but also with voxels and some amazing surface cleaning tools, which gives freedom when designing, in zbrush you eventually will need to make the descision to start adding subdiv levels and by doing so losing some sculpting features (like adding meshes), which for me is a limitation. This freedom 3d-coat has plus a complete retopology-painting pipeline makes it a very good software and totally worth it's price.
I defend 3d-coat in this case (even though I use zbrush a lot), because your comparison seems unfare. I've seen the development process in 3d-coat and it makes me sad that some people don't try it, honestly, because its a really useful program and has an aproach to sculpting that zbrush does not, which is more direct and quick.
Of course I'm not saying it's better than zbrush... zbrush alone with it's noisemakers and its trim brushes make it worth its price... All I'm saying is that both programs are worth their price and that 3d-coat is greatly under used. It's like Zbrush is extremely powerful, more than 3d-coat, but has that thing that you have to plan well what you are doing in a certain point cause there is a workflow disconnection (subdiv levels), which makes the "design" or real clay sculpting feeling away a little. What I always do is design in 3d coat, retopology, and then in zbrush I finish my mesh, specially if it is hardsurface, cause zbrush brushes are still waaay better in this.

philnolan3d
10-20-2012, 06:44 PM
It's been a while since I looked at the others, especially mudbox since it doesn't work on my system for some reason. Can either of them paint color/normal/spec/emissive on low/med poly models, such as game models?

TrexGreg
10-20-2012, 07:18 PM
It's been a while since I looked at the others, especially mudbox since it doesn't work on my system for some reason. Can either of them paint color/normal/spec/emissive on low/med poly models, such as game models?

Mudbox can paint color, specular, bump, normal, displacement, luminance and transparency textures on any geometry; low or high...

philnolan3d
10-20-2012, 08:05 PM
OK so in that respect MB and 3DC are about the same.

Phrenzy84
10-20-2012, 10:49 PM
OK so in that respect MB and 3DC are about the same.

Can it do it across multiple UV tiles?

ie Head is 0,1, Chest 0,2....

Can you paint across those surfaces and save those separate maps? Im searching to know if this features exists and i can't find it.

philnolan3d
10-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Can it do it across multiple UV tiles?

ie Head is 0,1, Chest 0,2....

Can you paint across those surfaces and save those separate maps? Im searching to know if this features exists and i can't find it.

What is "it"? I don't use UV tiles so I wouldn't know anything about them. I know 3DC can certainly paint across separate UV maps and save them seprately. I do that all the time. Can't answer if mb or zb can.

TrexGreg
10-20-2012, 11:28 PM
I don't know about 3D Coat, but Mudbox was designed from day one to sculpt/paint across multiple UV tiles, which is not the same as multiple UV maps, or multiple UV islands on a single UV map.

Phrenzy84
10-20-2012, 11:44 PM
What is "it"? I don't use UV tiles so I wouldn't know anything about them. I know 3DC can certainly paint across separate UV maps and save them seprately. I do that all the time. Can't answer if mb or zb can.

Sorry typo

Yes i meant painting across multiple UV tiles.

So is this something it cannot do?

philnolan3d
10-21-2012, 02:42 AM
Sorry typo

Like I said I don't use tiles so I couldn't say. If that's you that asked on the 3DC forum, I approved your question so maybe someone else there can.

Greg: Technically from day one mudbox didn't have painting or UV maps. It didn't have those until it was several years old.

yog
10-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Sorry typo

I must admit this isn't something I normally do, so I did a quick test.

Yes 3DC can paint over multiple UV tiles, surprisingly smoothly as well. On import you just have to select the option "convert tiles to UV sets" (off by default), then on export of the texture select export all UV sets.

Phrenzy84
10-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Like I said I don't use tiles so I couldn't say. If that's you that asked on the 3DC forum, I approved your question so maybe someone else there can.

Greg: Technically from day one mudbox didn't have painting or UV maps. It didn't have those until it was several years old.

Thanks, hope someone can answer it over there.

And i think Greg is right, from v1 of mudbox it has always supported exporting of maps to multiple UV tiles. It was only displacement/bump/normal data at the time but multi UV has always been a focus. Its much more production friendly that way.

Hope 3d-coat can match mudbox in this respect.

Edit:// yog just seen your post.

To my knowledge UV sets are just islands of uvs right that live in 0,1. So is it scaling the UV down into 0,1 or is auto-fitting (translating, rotating) them to make it all fit? It sounds more like a form of conversion than support because all that texture resolution will be reduced.

yog
10-21-2012, 09:35 AM
To my knowledge UV sets are just islands of uvs right that live in 0,1. So is it scaling the UV down into 0,1 or is auto-fitting (translating, rotating) them to make it all fit? It sounds more like a form of conversion than support because all that texture resolution will be reduced.
Actually it is still using UV tiles in the accepted sense, i.e. 0,1 , 0,2 , 1,1 , etc

Upon conversion it looks as though in the 3DC UV editor you can only see one tile / set at a time, but upon export it is exporting all the individual tiles at full rez.
The layout of the UV tiles remain unaltered, so it is not repacking them, and there is no overlapping seams, so it not dumping all the tiles onto the same UV space
Maybe not as elegant or as automatic as Mudbox or Mari, but it appears to work reasonably well.

philnolan3d
10-21-2012, 10:17 AM
And i think Greg is right, from v1 of mudbox it has always supported exporting of maps to multiple UV tiles. It was only displacement/bump/normal data at the time but multi UV has always been a focus. Its much more production friendly that way.

Perhaps I was wrong, I don't recall anything about UV maps when I used to use mudbox and I just went through the old skymatter site via Archive.org and couldn't find any mention of UV maps.

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2012, 10:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.