PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Cards - whats going on? AAArrrggghhh!

theboykidney
12-04-2003, 12:39 PM
I have a GF4 Ti4200 64mg card, but there is something wrong with it.....somethings burnt out, it cause full systems crashes at least once a day. And i can crash it at-will by simply going to corbis.com....somethig on that site.

anyway, i cant bear it anymore so i am going to get a new one, but theres soooo much stuff out and no way to compare and contrast all the different types....how do i know the difference between the FX's, Ti's, MX's etc.?

is there some where i can go and get some black and white info bout all this? its doing my head in!

Also, if anyone has any suggestions, [no ATI's, i run XSI!] i have
athlon 2000XP
1gig Ram
not sure on the MB [not beside it atm] asus/abit 4x****i think

not looking to upgrade considerably, just run a half descent computer! abou the $100-140 mark

Any help would rock, cheers guys

stephen2002
12-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Are you sure it is the graphics card? corbis.com does nothing to me although it does have a nice scrolling Flash thingy. Perhaps it is a software problem? What is listed as being the culpret when you blue-screen?

MattClary
12-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Try swapping a video card from another machine (borrow one if possible) before buying a new one. If it were me, I'd wipe the whole machine before buying a new video card. Sounds more like a config problem to me.

theboykidney
12-04-2003, 02:15 PM
stephen2002, corbis.com was jsut an example, but it is the only thing that consistantly sets it off, other things might be simply resizing a window, moving the mouse, anything! i used to play the odd game, and with the settings on the lowest -for the game - it might last 20 mins or so. and as for blue screen, well i dont even get that, its basically a screen freeze with what looks like a really nasty noise filter from photoshop over it, turning off the computer and restarting doesnt fix it, you need to fully unplug it to get rid of it or else it boots up with that noise filter type colour thing again - even through all the Bios check etc. It can happen 2 minutes after boot up or if im lucky up to 2 days, but it always gets me in the end!

MattClary, good suggestion, but i wipe my computer quite often out of practice anyway, so that doesnt fix it...and as for trying it with a different card, i did a few months back and i don't think it crashed [cant remember too clearly, was trying to meet some deadlines so was quite stressed!]

I have tried a couple of things to solve it, like more ram, from .5 gig to 1, and new psu with a significant increase in power, thinking it might have short on power, but nothing seems to help

So, to sum up, im 99% sure its the card, but now the problem faced is decoding the Ti's and mx's etc.

jbw
12-04-2003, 02:54 PM
As far as I know the FX are Geforce 5's, the Ti's are geforce 4's and the MXs are still dreaming of geforce status (they're not as powerful/cutdown versions)?

The difference between the geforce FX and Ti apart from them being able to shift more polys and probably have more memory is that they support Direct X 9. Ti's only support up to Direct X 8.1.

I run a ti4200 128 mb card at work and it's fine - if you were happy with it why not just replace it - newer isn't always better! Also is it still under warranty?

ta,
jbw

theboykidney
12-04-2003, 03:31 PM
not sure about the warranty, its 14 months old though...dunno if its still covered....also, you have to be ready to send it away for weeks at a time, i'd need a replacement during that time, catch 22 :(

imashination
12-04-2003, 04:39 PM
You still havent really mentioned anything to suggest that its the gfx card though. Try a friends card and see if that helps.

Novakog
12-05-2003, 06:35 AM
Ya, this sounds more like software stuff to me. If I were in your position, I would reinstall the drivers, see if that works, and if it doesn't reinstall your OS and then the newest drivers.

CgFX
12-05-2003, 07:15 AM
Total system lockups with no application or OS crashing are almost always system chipset related.

What is the motherboard chipset in your machine? Do you have the lastest drivers for it loaded? What does the nVidia driver say the AGP port is running at? (e.g. AGP 8x, AGP 4x, AGP 2x, or PCI mode)

What OS?

What graphics driver?

etc. etc. etc.

theboykidney
12-05-2003, 10:51 AM
i'll have to het back to you on all that, im in work at the moment.....cheers for the help tho, much appreciated

Pacifist
12-05-2003, 03:52 PM
I have been having the same damn thing happen and it is driving me insane.

My geforce fx is running in PCI mode though, I can't for the life of me get it out of pci mode though. argggggggggggh

don't know if that is what is causing the nasty crashes and lockups though.

stephen2002
12-05-2003, 07:42 PM
theboykidney: Could be something overheating? Althought usually it will make the artifacting (noise filter that you speak of) and then after a while crash not just crash right away.

Pacifist: check your BIOS and make sure that the setting for AGP/PCI is set to "AGP.

Pacifist
12-05-2003, 10:38 PM
[i]
Pacifist: check your BIOS and make sure that the setting for AGP/PCI is set to "AGP. [/B]

yup, I have checked about a million times. it makes me cry myself to sleep every night

CgFX
12-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Pacifist
I have been having the same damn thing happen and it is driving me insane.

My geforce fx is running in PCI mode though, I can't for the life of me get it out of pci mode though. argggggggggggh

don't know if that is what is causing the nasty crashes and lockups though.

I would suspect it is related, especially if you have lockups.

Do you have the most recent driver for the system chipset/motherboard loaded? That would be why you couldn't get it out of PCI mode.

theboykidney
12-07-2003, 04:15 PM
ok, on the overheating, definately not. my room is the same temp as outside, and thats cold:cry: . I also have 5 fans. definately not overheating. just experimented with the aperature etc. in the bios, turned it all down [64mg to 32mg, X4 to X2] and still the same.
some more info on my sys:
OS XP pro
latest nvidia driver [52.16]
MB is ABIT KX&-333[R]
chipset VIA KT266/A, KT333
I will admit that all the chip set stuff is a little out of my league, but hope that helps. will be trying a different card 2moro i hope....cheers again

theboykidney
12-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Am i right in assuming that all graphics cards are compatible - ie. american ones ok in european machines?

stephen2002
12-07-2003, 11:19 PM
Yes, graphics cards (and all computer parts) are sold worldwide so they are compatable no matter where they are manufactured/sold.

The only thing that needs adjusting for different countries is the power supply; and that is just a flip of a switch.

CgFX
12-08-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by theboykidney

MB is ABIT KX&-333[R]
chipset VIA KT266/A, KT333

I was betting money that VIA was involved.

VIA chipsets suck. Avoid at all cost. If you are stuck with it, make sure you have the latest and greatest bug-filled VIA drivers installed in order to make sure that as much of the broken and buggy chipset is patched as possible.

theboykidney
12-09-2003, 03:32 PM
ok, i updated the drivers, and it still crashed. however. i have now swapped it with one from work and am now running a Nvidia GF4 MX440 8X [from a GF4 ti 4200 64meg] and no crashes, not even corbis.com did it! so it defo seems that its a compatibility problem, the dodgy card appears to be ok in work, but we'll see for sure over the next few days....

Am I right in saying that this one is not as good as my ti4200?
What can i do to solve the problem? any more suggestions?
Cheers guys

stephen2002
12-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Am I right in saying that this one is not as good as my ti4200?

Yes. Is the ti4200 now working without a hitch in another system?

theboykidney
12-09-2003, 04:18 PM
only was using it for a couple hours today, but so far no problem...I'll find out during the week when i use it a bit more

Is the Ti considerably better? am i ripping myself off if i did a permenant swap!?

3Dfx_Sage
12-10-2003, 02:42 AM
only was using it for a couple hours today, but so far no problem...I'll find out during the week when i use it a bit more

Is the Ti considerably better? am i ripping myself off if i did a permenant swap!?
yes. the GeForce4 MX are somewhat lower than the GeForce3, but better than a GeForce2. Also, if you get a shiny new FX 5200 with 256MB.... it will be about as fast as the MX you have now, just with more features listed on the box

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.