PDA

View Full Version : Online School opinions??

shrish109
10-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Hey guys!

What do you think about :
http://cgspectrum.com

Thanks for all your input.
Shrishti

morisan
10-14-2012, 03:00 AM
Hey Shrish! I think CGspectrum is a really good online course to take. What are you thinking about taking? I am in my third semester for the Mastering Advanced Animation course and it really helped me to get my animation chops down. The thing I especially like about CGspectrum is that you just get so much one on one time with your instructor. Every week they can go into my work file and work with me to figure out what gone wrong and the best way to improve for me. I definitely recommend it!

shrish109
10-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi Morisan!

Thanks so much for your reply. I am unsure about what to take yet. I wanted to take their animation program but I have no experience in animation. However, I do love to draw and paint too. So I thought I might start with the Illustration program. I have a few more questions for you, if you don't mind answering them. It would help me a lot.

Do you think its a good online school for making connections in the industry/do you think the faculty will help you get jobs or enter the industry? I ask because it says as one of the highlights that its not just an online school but an apprentice program.

Do you think it would be a good idea to enroll in an online program like this without any 4 year art degree?

Thanks for your input!

Shrishti

morisan
10-18-2012, 05:28 AM
Hi Shrish!

I think their illustration/concept art program is great. If you want to do animation but are concerned about not having experience, I think you don't have to worry because they can teach you from the ground up with the basic fundamentals.

From what I experienced so far, I think CGspectrum is really good for connection. Because we had small classes we really got to connect with the instructors like apprentices. All the instructors I know have many connections in the industry and there were many instances where they just had to send an email to get us hooked up the studios for studio tours, guest lectures and potential future jobs if they think you have meet the requirements.

I don't see university education as a prerequisite or requirement in order to get the most out of this program. I went to Emily Carr University for animation but I find that you learn different things from each school. In cgspectrum I learned everything I will need to get a job but in university I learned more about concepts and academic critical thinking. Both are good and I don't find not taking either one diminishes the value of the other.

I hope this was helpful! I think it would be a swell idea to contact cgspectrum and ask them, but let me know if I can help!

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2012, 05:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.